Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Holmes Basketball
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
i know this school is full of athletes, and with the new head coach from SV, will they make it to rupp this year?
def. holmes is obviously a "basketball" school.
with the loss of pittman i still think they will be ok.
the area is full of talented ballers.
anywhere else probably would be a rebuilding year but holmes will be okay
thewiz Wrote:def. holmes is obviously a "basketball" school.
with the loss of pittman i still think they will be ok.
the area is full of talented ballers.
anywhere else probably would be a rebuilding year but holmes will be okay

They also lost the johnson brothers who were both better stand outs then Pittman.

I dont think Holmes will make to rupp this year.
Holmes has some great Middle schoolers coming up,But this will be a down year for them compared to what they have been putting up the last few seasons..
9-POINT Wrote:i know this school is full of athletes, and with the new head coach from SV, will they make it to rupp this year?

^ No, Conner is too good this year
Holmes will be a top 5 team in the 9th region this year, but them making it to Rupp might be a bit of a stretch.

Had you asked me this question a few months ago, I might've been more willing to give a yes answer but with the recent events at Holmes, I just don't see it being a reality this year.

They have lost 4 players to transfer that were going to be key members either this year, or in the future.

6'8 jr David Stephens transferred to Simon Kenton
Jr Jakeith Pitts transferred to Boone Co
Soph Christian McClendon (top 10 soph in state) transferred to Cov Holy Cross.
Frosh Jaylen Avery transferred to Holy Cross.

One of their key players, 6'6 Kevon Rice, has also been suspended indefinetely from the team.

Holmes will be loaded at the guard positions this year but I think their depth inside will be their undoing.

Next year, however, with a very talented soph class becoming juniors and a few key juniors being seniors, the Dogs may have a better chance at Rupp.

Coach Booher will get Holmes back to the state tourney within the next 3 years...mark it down.
kywldcat01 Wrote:Holmes will be a top 5 team in the 9th region this year, but them making it to Rupp might be a bit of a stretch.

Had you asked me this question a few months ago, I might've been more willing to give a yes answer but with the recent events at Holmes, I just don't see it being a reality this year.

They have lost 4 players to transfer that were going to be key members either this year, or in the future.

One of their key players, 6'6 Kevon Rice, has also been suspended indefinetely from the team.

Holmes will be loaded at the guard positions this year but I think their depth inside will be their undoing.

Next year, however, with a very talented soph class becoming juniors and a few key juniors being seniors, the Dogs may have a better chance at Rupp.

Coach Booher will get Holmes back to the state tourney within the next 3 years...mark it down.

Good post, i agree 100%

Im sure they will make it back to state a couple years down the road, they have good athletes, great coach and a winning tradition.

I was curious of why the transfer of so many players? Do you have any info?
kywldcat01 Wrote:Holmes will be a top 5 team in the 9th region this year, but them making it to Rupp might be a bit of a stretch.

So, how does it make you feel when you talked about how bad Valley was last year and now they won it all and you have their coach?

I wouldnt hold my breath.
SweetLemonade Wrote:Good post, i agree 100%

Im sure they will make it back to state a couple years down the road, they have good athletes, great coach and a winning tradition.

I was curious of why the transfer of so many players? Do you have any info?

Stephens' family moved to Independence which is why he transferred to SK.

Pitts' family moved to Florence, which is why he's at Boone now.

McClendon's uncle is a new assistant for Holy Cross, so he decided to transfer there.

Avery, I'm assuming, followed since McClendon and other talented frosh Jaylen Beal are both there. All three played together for the KY Elite team that finished 8th at nationals last summer.

Holy Cross will be very good next year when Beal/Avery are sophs, McClendon a junior, and Jake Burger a senior.
Below Zero Wrote:So, how does it make you feel when you talked about how bad Valley was last year and now they won it all and you have their coach?

This isn't a thread about Valley.

AS far as how I feel about getting Booher, I couldn't be happier. Since he has come to Holmes, I've got the chance to know him and talk to him several times and the guy is a class act. I'll be interviewing him tomorrow night during halftime of nkysports.com broadcast of the Holmes-West Jessamine game.

Valley was lucky to have him and I do now feel bad for questioning his coaching tactics as much as I did last season. You live and you learn though.
EOE Wrote:I wouldnt hold my breath.

Reason?

Holmes has plenty of talent coming through the ranks with or without the players that transferred out.

Their soph class is loaded with Englemon, Coston, Palmer, and Peterson. Those 4 led a frosh team to the region championship last season without McClendon.

The current 8th grade class is absolutely loaded as well. They have two kids that are around 6'1 or 6'2 that are both extemely athletic and already getting up to the rim with ease. Jason Covington and Kenny Potter...remember those two names.

The current junior class is led by 6'5 Dontel Rice, who might just be the best player on the team this year as a junior. They also have 6'6 Hunter Hoskins who has improved tremendously since last year and 6'1 Charles Knox who has started MLB and TE the past two years for the Holmes' football team.

The cupboard is far from bare.

Someone else said it best when they made the following comment about Holmes basketball:

"Holmes is always good, and often great. Holmes in basketball is what Highlands is in football." (As far as 9th region and nky play goes)

If anyone thinks Holmes is going to fall off, you're sadly mistaken.

In the past 12 years, Holmes has had just one losing season. (10-17)
kywldcat01 Wrote:Reason?

Holmes has plenty of talent coming through the ranks with or without the players that transferred out.

Their soph class is loaded with Englemon, Coston, Palmer, and Peterson. Those 4 led a frosh team to the region championship last season without McClendon.

The current 8th grade class is absolutely loaded as well. They have two kids that are around 6'1 or 6'2 that are both extemely athletic and already getting up to the rim with ease. Jason Covington and Kenny Potter...remember those two names.

The current junior class is led by 6'5 Dontel Rice, who might just be the best player on the team this year as a junior. They also have 6'6 Hunter Hoskins who has improved tremendously since last year and 6'1 Charles Knox who has started MLB and TE the past two years for the Holmes' football team.

The cupboard is far from bare.

Someone else said it best when they made the following comment about Holmes basketball:

"Holmes is always good, and often great. Holmes in basketball is what Highlands is in football." (As far as 9th region and nky play goes)

If anyone thinks Holmes is going to fall off, you're sadly mistaken.

In the past 12 years, Holmes has had just one losing season. (10-17)

Very true!