Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Corbin vs. Whitley County finally happening?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I was told today that Corbin has extended an invite to play Whitley County in the Pigskin Classic next season at Corbin. It's said that Whitley will accept the invitation as long as Corbin travels to Williamsburg next year to return the favor.

This is great news and long overdue if true. Anyone else hearing this?

The only thing that I think could hold this up is future scheduling and whether Corbin is locked into any future commitments. With this being in a bowl game, it could possibly throw a wrench into the return game. I say make it happen by any means necessary!
What you are hearing is true, i have also been told that Corbin has offered Whitley a game next year in the Cumberland Falls classic, however, Whitley has been wanting this to happen for years.
The problem is, Corbin doesnt want to go to Whitley, and so anybody could see why this hasnt happened.
If Corbin will agree to go to Whitley (they already play North laurel, and South Laurel) then this game will happen.
I would love to see this as it hasnt happened since the early 80's.
The gates for this game would be huge, probably bring in more money than any other game in the mountains on a yearly basis.
It also helps this two teams with that open slot every year, I know Whitley is probably going to lose Lex Cath, and Belfry off their schedule and will need games.
Hopefully this deal can get done and we can see a great rivalry start up.
I think we will see it happen. Like I said, the only problem would be Corbin having to give up a slot for a regular season game. South has always been a constant on the schedule. One would think with Middlesboro being the biggest rival, they will work them into play since they are no longer in the same district. LCA has been on the schedule for the past 6 or 7 years so I'm unsure of that contract.

Middlesboro will most likely replace Hazard on the schedule if I were betting. If Corbin could can get a 1 year deal out of someone to replace GRC next year, it would open a spot for a road game at Whitley in 2012. Hopefully the Hounds can just add someone so Whitley can go on. I know we'd all love it for all of the reasons you stated. I'm not sure how the NL deal works. They have just been a recent addition. I wouldn't mind seeing that game go by the wayside.