Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Though is was a win... can Steelers fans be truly satisfied that they beat Kitna?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I think the Steelers got really lucky when Palmer went down. It was a **** poor win and no self respecting steelers fan can be satisfied with that kind of win. It really doesnt matter though.... the Colts will stampede over the Bus and Big Ben on their way to a Super Bowl victory!!!
A win in the NFL is just that. The competition level is so close. Kitna may be the best backup in the NFL. There are several teams throughout the league where he would be competing for a starting role.

Also, Pittsburgh had already beaten Palmer and the Bengals once earlier this season when the Bengals were on a roll winning 5 of their first 6 (the one loss being by 3 to Jacksonville). So, it's not like the Bengals had the Steelers number.

The Bengals win over the Steelers came at a very opportune time. The Steelers had lost 2 straight for the only time all season. So, it was an easy win for a good Bengals team against a team on the ropes.

The Bengals were unfortunate to limp into the playoffs with 2 consecutive losses while the Steelers were luckily on a 4 game winning streak. So, give credit where it's due, Pittsburgh had been playing good football as of late and the Bengals hadn't been playing very well. Momentum is very important in the NFL.

If anything, the Bengals and fans need to think about how their defense let them down and forget about Palmer.

In the first meeting: 27-13 Pittsburgh win @ Cincy
Big Ben was 9-14 for 93 yards with 2 TDs and 1 INT

In the second meeting: 38-31 Cincy win @ Pitt
Big Ben was 29-41 for 386 yards with 3 TDs but 3 INTs

In the third meeting: 31-17 Pitt win @ Cincy
Big Ben was 14-19 for 208 yards with 3 TDs but 0 INTs

The Bengals have relied on their ball hawking defense to force turnovers all season. There weren't able to that very often in their losses to Pittsburgh. In their win, they were. The defense is more to blame than the loss of Palmer. Also, don't forget the trick play that completely fooled the defense for an easy TD as well.

I'm not even a Steelers fan, but to think they're NOT one of the very elite teams in the league is a mistake. Just check out the losses this season.

Lost to New England (2 time defending SB champs (10-6)) 23-20 on a last second field goal

Lost to Jacksonville ((12-4) 2 losses to Indy) 23-17 in OT without Big Ben playing when Maddox throws an interception that is returning for a TD

Lost to Baltimore (Rivalry and just a bad loss)16-13 in OT without Big Ben playing

Lost to a very good Cincy (11-5 division champs) team 38-31

That's 4 losses (2 in OT without Big Ben playing) by a combined 19 points.

The other loss was a 7-26 loss to Indy (14-2) @ Indy during Ben's first game back after missing 3 straight.
Tomcat--you make GREAT posts--Keep it up!

I agree with Tomcat--a win, is a win, is a win! (Especially in the NFL).

Also--I think that the Bengals unestimated the impact of "momentum". The Steelers have it. And it could carry them to a win over the Colts (especially if they start running down hill).
I am a Bengals fan and have been for a very long time. The loss of Palmer was a big hit for us in that game. Plus the fact that we lost the #3 receiver. I also know that the Bengal "D" has a lot of work to do! We will never know what would have happened in that game with Palmer, but I do know that the Steelers wouldn't have won with Maddox if the shoe was on the other foot. I am not sure how someone can say that Kitna is the best back up in the NFL. He played very few snaps this year and has never won anything.

:Hammer3: :yesno:
Take a look at the experience of other backups across the NFL. Being a backup isn't just the numbers put up in the current season but being a seasoned veteran that can come in at any time and produce.

The only other QB I would rate as a better backup would be Brad Johnson in Minnesota. Took a 2-5 team after the Culpepper injury, won 6 straight and 7 of 9 to save a winning season at 9-7.
YES they should be happy they beat a team to move on further in the playoffs if your not happy with that WTF?!?!