Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: City council members discuss a smoking ban for Prestonsburg
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Slone reported that, out of 29 interviews conducted, 88 percent of city council members and 100 percent of county officials “somewhat or strongly” support an ordinance prohibiting smoking in all enclosed public buildings, restaurants and bars. Approximately 46 percent of city hall employees would support an ordinance, and more than 80 percent of council members and county officials and 53 percent of city hall employees “strongly or somewhat” agree that local governments should be allowed to pass smoke-free laws, she said.

Slone said the health department would not try to “force” smoking regulations on anybody. A handout she provided to the city council suggested that the health department would be willing to serve on strategic planning committees to gain support for enacting smoke-free ordinances, to survey smoke-free ordinances and regulations in surrounding Kentucky counties, and to prepare draft ordinances for city council review. Slone offered smoking cessation classes, which provide free nicotine patches to attendees, at city hall.

Some businesses, Slone said, are “scared” by the thought of going smoke-free. She asked the council to provide feedback to the health department if they wanted to enforce changes, but council members provided no indication that they were interested in doing so during the meeting.

http://floydcountytimes.com/articles/200...news02.txt
I think that they should crack down on public smoking.

Let people do it in the privacy of their own property; house, car, lawn, etc. but bringing it into the public makes others come into contact with it.

More people die from second hand smoke that you would imagine and alot of it comes from people in public places being careless for the consideration of others.
I think they should make it so that people can't smoke in restaurants and stuff. It's so gross. Ew.
I never smoked in my life but my husband did and now hes paying the price and to watch him suffer is awful.when we go into a public place and someone is smoking in there he has to leave.One place that is really offensive is the grocery stores that allow it.Have pity people
I hope the smoking ban passes...
i could careless either way in this one.
:dump: no smoking in the bath room

BallaBaby

15thRegionCrazy Wrote:I hope the smoking ban passes...

Me too. I know Cats Fan would love it also.