Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: 2011 Cincinnati Reds
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Well, I hate to even start the discussion but as soon as the season is over, it's realistic to start looking at next years club. Who will the Reds keep, who will they let go.

Five players (Aroldis Chapman, Francisco Cordero, Nick Masset, Brandon Phillips and Scott Rolen) are under contract for next year.

Homer Bailey, Logan Ondrusek, Travis Wood, Ryan Hanigan, Juan Francisco, Chris Heisey and Drew Stubbs are all one- to three-year players. They’ll make right around the minimum of $400,000.

Bill Bray, Johnny Cueto, Edinson Volquez and Votto will eligible for arbitration.

The Reds have 11 players who are either free agents or have options. So they’ll have to make decisions on them:

–Bronson Arroyo: The Reds hold an $11 million option. Walt Jocketty confirmed they will do at least that. They’d like to extend Arroyo beyond 2011 as well.

–Jonny Gomes: The Reds have an option for $1.8 million. That’s so cheap, I think they’ll pick it up. Gomes had a solidly year offensively. Bringing him back gives the Reds time to develop another option, i.e, Chris Heisey or Todd Frazier.

–Aaron Harang: The Reds are obviously going to turn down his option. I don’t see him coming back under a reworked deal. He is better off going to somewhere with a less homer friendly park.

–Arthur Rhodes: He’s a free agent. If the Reds can bring him back at similar money ($2 million), you could see him back.

–Ramon Hernandez: He had a $3.5 million vesting option based on 120 games played. He did not reach that. I could see the Reds bringing him back at $3 million or so. Devin Mesoraco could be ready sometime in 2011. He’s going to be the No. 1 guy when he arrives, signing Hernandez gives them a solid duo until Mesoraco is ready.

–Orlando Cabrera: There is a mutual option for $4 million. I don’t see the Reds picking that up. Paul Janish is better defensively and has come on offensively.

–Miguel Cairo: He’s a free agent. The Reds will likely try to bring him back.

–Laynce Nix: Also a free agent. I think the Reds will do what they did last year: Not offer arbitration and try to sign him ti a minor league deal.

–Mike Lincoln: He’s a free agent. I would be surprised if he’s back under a minor league deal.

–Jim Edmonds: He’s a free agent. I expect him to retire.

–Russ Springer: Same as Edmonds.
They had a great season and can build upon it for next year. I would think that most of these players will re-sign , there may be some trades and if so I hope the Reds get the better end of the deal.
I'd to see the Reds trade for a better closer
Reds are going to look so good next year coming out the gate. I expected a fight for one of the best overall records in baseball!!
I hope the Reds can build what they did this year, keep the core players, and build upon what they did this year and go to the next level.
Jarons Wrote:I hope the Reds can build what they did this year, keep the core players, and build upon what they did this year and go to the next level.

I see them keeping their system very much like the Cardinals system. They will keep the nucleus and add veteran leadership where appropriate.
Stardust Wrote:I see them keeping their system very much like the Cardinals system. They will keep the nucleus and add veteran leadership where appropriate.
They should be able to afford the right moves. Freeing up the 10-12 million for Harang gives them a little room to give to Votto and resign some of the younger players.
^ Good post
Who is already pumped for next season!!! I am loving the opportunities that the Reds have in the offseason to make an even better product on the field.
I think this year of experience for the young starters will pay off for next season. Can't wait til next year!
Cards are going to be a tough draw once again but I think that another year with our rotation (Wood, Cueto, Volquez, Bailey, Chapman, Arroyo,) and we have as much depth as you would need to compete. Oh not to mention the MVP!!!
^ Red's are in need of a closer. The Cookie experience has crumbled!
Oh I know it man. Coco is just so unreliable.... But he gets some much money they will continue to run him out as long as possible.
IMO they should let Chapman close next season.
OffTheHook Wrote:IMO they should let Chapman close next season.

I thought that too, but the challenge we will have with Chapman is what has plagued him so far in his young career in International Ball, AAA ball, and MLB and that is control. The man can bring it like no other player in history, but he has not shown the consistency needed to be a closer. I'd rather take my chance with him as a starter and let him (hopefully) figure out how to control that arm like Rnady Johnson had to. To think he could close now is not realistic.
OffTheHook Wrote:IMO they should let Chapman close next season.

I think that is the position that he is best suited for but as Stardust stated I think he needs to get a few starts first to get his accuracy under control and then after he does so then place him as the Closer.
Stardust Wrote:I thought that too, but the challenge we will have with Chapman is what has plagued him so far in his young career in International Ball, AAA ball, and MLB and that is control. The man can bring it like no other player in history, but he has not shown the consistency needed to be a closer. I'd rather take my chance with him as a starter and let him (hopefully) figure out how to control that arm like Rnady Johnson had to. To think he could close now is not realistic.

I agree. He has sooo much potential but still has to work on his control. The closer role next year is not the place for him to do that. I know that Cordero is the wildest and most inconsistent closer in a tight game but with that much money devoted to that one player for one more year, you have to use him until he can is no longer able to get an out (it is close- Wink ). I would say that Chapman is ready to make that jump to a starter and will be able to be one of the most dominate forces in the league in a hurry.
^ Good post
I would like to see Chris Heisey start more frequently in LF...

I like Gomes heart & energy...but other than that he don't really bring much to desire.

If not Heisey...then bring up Yonder Alonso to platoon with Gomes.