Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Magoffin 67 Pikeville 58
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Magoffin takes the W!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Go Hornets!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
congrats hornets
Congrats Magoffin. Any stats?
Congrats Hornets
Great win way to come back from a 12-14 point deficit
who played good from pikeville?
Congratulations Hornets,

#2 from pikeville looked good 2 me
good job hornets, tyler hunley really stepped up in this game, made alot of good shots, nice job tyler, proud of ya big guy!!!!
whats wrong with pikeville?

they had a big lead on belfry too...

why cant they keep these leads throughout the whole game?
Congrats Hornets.
Congrats Magoffin
"mtnfootball7" Wrote:whats wrong with pikeville?

Poor shot selection. When they have the lead, they play like they are behind.
How did Deven do for P-ville?
he got a couple blocked shots, a few rebounds... Pikevilles senior guard Sword went out in either the end of the 1st or beginning of the 2nd with a injury and didnt get back in. They missed his leadership in the guard position alot in the 2nd half.
Congrats Magoffin County on a great win!
"mtnfootball7" Wrote:whats wrong with pikeville?

Not a very disciplined team
Magoffin played well. If #2 for pikeville doesn't get in foul trouble the game would have went the other way. Magoffin did real well setting up for charges all night. Congrats to the Hornets. I hope you all can build on this. GO HORNETS!!!!!!!!!!!
I think they over called the charges. Between the JV and the Varsity game, I bet there was 50 charges to only one or two blocks called. It seemed like if you made a move to the goal, it was a charge.
One bright spot for Pikeville is, the JV team had a come from behind win over MC JV team. They was down by like 12 and come back to win. I think the final for that game was 53 to 47... might have been closer. My old memory doesnt work so good sometimes. LOL
Hang in there Coach Williams, you just need you team to learn how to win and to believe!
Go Panthers
congrats boys
"FrAnKeE" Wrote:good job hornets, tyler hunley really stepped up in this game, made alot of good shots, nice job tyler, proud of ya big guy!!!!

I agree 100%. Tyler definitely stepped up for this game! He was steady with the ball, took good shots (finally!), and played excellent defense down the stretch. His 13 points were a big factor in Magoffin's win.

The biggest factor was 2nd half rebounding. The Hornets were unbelievable on the boards!

Eric Arnett, Brandon Shepherd, and Devin Rice all played well, too. But I've come to expect that (man, it feels good to say that). And Clay Fletcher showed hints of what he's capable of, too!

The key to getting the Hornets over the hump may well be Tyler Hunley continuing to play like he did in this game!
"Panther#1" Wrote:who played good from pikeville?

#11 was unbelievable! I thought he was the best player on the floor. I can't believe he's a freshman!
"BasketBallonlyfan" Wrote:I think they over called the charges. Between the JV and the Varsity game, I bet there was 50 charges to only one or two blocks called. It seemed like if you made a move to the goal, it was a charge.

I actually thought they could have called more charges. I thought they let several go.

Remember, a defender DOES NOT have to be stationary for a charge to be called. He just has to have legal guarding position and not be moving toward the offensive player when contact is made. A sure indication of an offensive foul is when the offensive player puts his shoulder in the chest of the defender and pushes him out of position. Another is when the offensive player pushes the defensive player out of position with his forearm.

For a block to be called on the defensive player, one of two things have to happen. When the offensive player gets his head and shoulders past the defender and then the contact is more than incidental, it is a foul on the defensive player. Or when a defender is moving toward the offensive player when contact occurs, it's a foul on the defensive player.

So it basically comes down to this:

Shoulder in the chest of the defender = Charge
Pushing the defender out of position with a forearm (or rear end if backing to the goal) = Charge

Head and shoulders past the defender = Block
Moving toward the offensive player = Block

EVERYTHING else is incidental contact = No foul
P-ville needs ALOT of help
"You Betcha" Wrote:I actually thought they could have called more charges. I thought they let several go.

Remember, a defender DOES NOT have to be stationary for a charge to be called. He just has to have legal guarding position and not be moving toward the offensive player when contact is made. A sure indication of an offensive foul is when the offensive player puts his shoulder in the chest of the defender and pushes him out of position. Another is when the offensive player pushes the defensive player out of position with his forearm.

For a block to be called on the defensive player, one of two things have to happen. When the offensive player gets his head and shoulders past the defender and then the contact is more than incidental, it is a foul on the defensive player. Or when a defender is moving toward the offensive player when contact occurs, it's a foul on the defensive player.

So it basically comes down to this:

Shoulder in the chest of the defender = Charge
Pushing the defender out of position with a forearm (or rear end if backing to the goal) = Charge

Head and shoulders past the defender = Block
Moving toward the offensive player = Block

EVERYTHING else is incidental contact = No foul

A player driving the lane, a defender steps in front of him with one shoulder and a leg... block. a player sliding his feet sideways then on the shot, the defender falls... block. It was the first game I have seen where there was so many charges called with only one or two blocks. Which by the way was against Pikeville. I dont remember MC having one blocking foul against them all night. I will watch the tape again and see to make sure.
Congrats to Magoffin...Pikeville will continue to improve.
Pikeville is an up and coming team with young guns...i think they are goig to be a threat come tourny time maybe not region but def district...keep it up...congrats to goffin...
congrats hornets
"BasketBallonlyfan" Wrote:A player driving the lane, a defender steps in front of him with one shoulder and a leg... block. a player sliding his feet sideways then on the shot, the defender falls... block. It was the first game I have seen where there was so many charges called with only one or two blocks. Which by the way was against Pikeville. I dont remember MC having one blocking foul against them all night. I will watch the tape again and see to make sure.

You make a good point that I failed to make in my previous post. The defender must first establish legal guarding position before a charge can be called. Once legal guarding position is established, then everything I posted earlier applies.

Even if a defender slides into the path of the offensive player as he drives to the goal, charging can be called. But for that to happen, the defender must beat the offensive player to the spot to establish legal guarding position and the defender must not be moving into the offensive player. Even if the defender only gets a leg and a shoulder in front of the offensive player a charge can be called. Assuming the defender has legal guarding position and is not moving toward the offensive player, if the offensive player collides with the leg, hip, and/or shoulder of the defensive player, that is charging. The defender has established legal guarding position and is entitled to his place on the floor. The offensive player must get his head and shoulders past the torso of the defender for a block to be called (unless the defender is moving toward the offensive player).

With all those variables having to be assessed at once by the official, it's a wonder they get so many calls right. I can't find it within myself to argue with them most of the time (although sometimes I do anyway).

But my point in this and the other post is that charges most likely should be called more often than they actually are. And in the Magoffin / Pikeville game I saw several plays that I thought should be called charges that weren't. There are also a LOT of times where no foul should be called either way.

Go to the National Federation of High Schools web site www.nfhs.org and check out the rule book. You may be surprised how many things are spelled out clearly.
Pages: 1 2