Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: 5A Region 4 Early Playoff Thoughts
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Current Standings in Region 4

5A Dist 7
Pulaski (2-0) Southwestern and Mercer left
Southwestern (3-0) Pulaski left
Mercer (1-1) Lincoln and Pulaski left
Lincoln (0-2) Mercer and So Laurel left
So. Laurel (0-3) Lincoln left

5A Dist 8
Harlan Co (3-0) PCC and Clay left
Clay (3-0) LCC and Harlan Co left
Perry Central (2-1) Harlan Co and Whitley left
Whitley Co (1-2) No. Lauel and PCC left
Letcher Co (0-3) Clay and No Laurel left
North Laurel (0-3) Whitley and LCC left

[COLOR="Blue"]Dist 7 predicted finish
1 Winner Pulaski / Southwestern Game
2 Loser Pulaski / Southwestern Game
3 Mercer
4 Winner So Laurel / Lincoln Game[/COLOR]

[COLOR="Red"]Dist 8 predicted finish
1 Winner Clay / Harlan Game
2 Loser Clay / Harlan Game (PCC possible)
3 PCC
4 Whitley[/COLOR]

Possible first round Playoff matchups

4 Whitley at 1 Pulaski
3 PCC at 2 Southwestern
3 Mercer at 2 Harlan
4 So Laurel at 1 Clay

Even though the #1's and 2's might flip I still think that the first round will be chalk with the higher seeds (1's and 2's) winning all four games. PCC could beat Southwestern but the Warriors are playing pretty sound football right now and would be at home.

Perry County Central could mess all of this up if they beat Harlan Co and Harlan County beats Clay that would leave a three way tie and I'm not sure who holds the tie breaker advantage between Clay, Harlan Co and PCC.

This looks to be a pretty evenly matched region at the top with any of the top 5 teams having a realistic chance to win this region. Pulaski has to be the favorite right now however based on ease of playoffs last year and the way they are playing right now.

What do you guys think?
Jumper Dad Wrote:Current Standings in Region 4

5A Dist 7
Pulaski (2-0) Southwestern and Mercer left
Southwestern (3-0) Pulaski left
Mercer (1-1) Lincoln and Pulaski left
Lincoln (0-2) Mercer and So Laurel left
So. Laurel (0-3) Lincoln left

5A Dist 8
Harlan Co (3-0) PCC and Clay left
Clay (3-0) LCC and Harlan Co left
Perry Central (2-1) Harlan Co and Whitley left
Whitley Co (1-2) No. Lauel and PCC left
Letcher Co (0-3) Clay and No Laurel left
North Laurel (0-3) Whitley and LCC left

[COLOR="Blue"]Dist 7 predicted finish
1 Winner Pulaski / Southwestern Game
2 Loser Pulaski / Southwestern Game
3 Mercer
4 Winner So Laurel / Lincoln Game[/COLOR]

[COLOR="Red"]Dist 8 predicted finish
1 Winner Clay / Harlan Game
2 Loser Clay / Harlan Game (PCC possible)
3 PCC
4 Whitley[/COLOR]

Possible first round Playoff matchups

4 Whitley at 1 Pulaski
3 PCC at 2 Southwestern
3 Mercer at 2 Harlan
4 So Laurel at 1 Clay

Even though the #1's and 2's might flip I still think that the first round will be chalk with the higher seeds (1's and 2's) winning all four games. PCC could beat Southwestern but the Warriors are playing pretty sound football right now and would be at home.

Perry County Central could mess all of this up if they beat Harlan Co and Harlan County beats Clay that would leave a three way tie and I'm not sure who holds the tie breaker advantage between Clay, Harlan Co and PCC.

This looks to be a pretty evenly matched region at the top with any of the top 5 teams having a realistic chance to win this region. Pulaski has to be the favorite right now however based on ease of playoffs last year and the way they are playing right now.

What do you guys think?

I pretty much agree with everything you have to say. The districts will be set after Friday unless a tie breaker is needed and then it could go on for the rest of the regular season.

I see it like this.....

#4. Whitley County@ #1 Pulaski Co.
#3. Mercer County@ #2 Harlan County

#4. Lincoln Co.@ #1 Clay Co.
#3. Perry Co. @ #2 Southwestern

I honestly believe Clay will win the district, but i think PCC could easily beat Harlan and takeover that number two spot.

I think Clay destroys Lincoln or maybe South if they beat Lincoln. Either way Clay will advance in the first round.

I think the Southwestern vs. Harlan/PCC game will be a toss up, id give the edge to PCC/Harlan though but with it at Southwestern it could go either way.

Dont be suprised to see Whitley give Pulaski a run for their money. I know Pulaski will more than likely come away with the win, but these two teams have met in the past two years in the playoffs and its been an all out battle both years. And, dont forget in 08' Whitley was heavy favorites against Pulaski at home and went in to the 4th quarter trailing before pulling off the win.

Whoever gets the 2 seed from district 8 will soundly beat Mercer in my opinion.

Overall i think District 8 is much stronger than District 7 but i also believe Pulaski may be the best team in the region.

If the playoffs end up like i have them above, this is my prediction....

#1. Pulaski Co. Over #4. Whitley Co.
#2. Harlan Co. over #3. Mercer Co.
#1. Clay Co. over #4. Lincoln Co.
#3. Perry Co. over #2. Southwestern

My only upset pick is PCC over Southwestern, i think it will be a heck of a game, although if Perry gets the two seed, i would pick Southwestern over Harlan in the first round if they play each other.

Second Round....
#1. Pulaski Co. over #2. Harlan Co.
#1. Clay Co. over #3. Perry Co.

Championship...
Who knows? honestly i think Clay and Pulaski will battle it out for the region championship but PCC and maybe Harlan or Southwestern could pull off an upset and get their, but right now Clay and Pulaski is just playing too good for that to happen.

What the Heck, ill take Clay for the region champions this year in what i believe will be an upset, but dont worry Pulaski, the next week they would be playing Highlands so no matter what team wins, it will be their last. It's still special to win that region championship and good luck to all teams who make the playoffs and goodluck District 8 in the first round, i would love to see a sweep:biggrin:
What happens in District 8 if Whitley County wins there next 2 games?
What type of team is PCC?
kyrj Wrote:What happens in District 8 if Whitley County wins there next 2 games?
Maybe a #3 seed, to move to #2 they would need for either Harlan or Clay to lose next two games.
Perry is 6-1 this year, and are actually pretty good, they have a really good pass game, Thats about all I know about them.
kyrj Wrote:What happens in District 8 if Whitley County wins there next 2 games?

They will definitely get the three seed if Whitley beats both North and Perry, that would leave Perry with the four seed and Whitley would get the three. Harlan has pretty much locked up a place above Whitley because they hold the tie breaker and are undefeated in the district while Whitley is two games behind them with only two games remaining, same goes for Clay and Whitley.
Although, if Whitley wins out and beats Perry and Harlan beats Perry but loses to Clay, then there would be a three way tie for the two seed.
Jumper Dad Wrote:Maybe a #3 seed, to move to #2 they would need for either Harlan or Clay to lose next two games.

Whitley cant pass Harlan Co. up now because they lost their head to head match up and Whitley is two games behind with only two left.