Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Hall of Fame Week at Belfry
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I want to congratulate everyone that will be inducted into the Belfry Hall of Fame tomorrow night. I feel that it is only fitting that the Voice of the Pirates the late Steve Phillips will be inducted . I have had the pleasure of meeting alot of people over the years because of my profession, but Steve Phillips is the nicest person that I have ever met. I remember the first time that I was sent to Belfry to broadcast a game and he helped give me info on the program. He made me sound good because of his knowledge. I had to apologize to Coach Haywood earlier today while we were recording his pre game interview for tomorrow night. I asked him a question about Hall of Fame night and the induction of Steve Phillips and I got choked up had to compose myself because while coach was answering the question I was reflecting about Mr. Phillips.

Could someone post some of the other athletes that are being inducted as well.
Mr Phillips was a staple in Belfry sports for many years. He was the ultimate professional and he did a fantastic job of handling the Public Address duties. He represented Belfry with dignity and class and no matter if the Pirates were ahead or behind, he did his job well and completely.

Anyone who aspires to be a public address announcer would be well served to listen to tapes of him doing his job and model themselves after Mr Phillips.

Although he was a Pirate, through and through, and that did show a little bit when he said "Another Pirate Touchdown", he still maintained composure and was as impartial as could reasonably be expected.

Some places you go, you hear all kinds of drivel from the PA. Mr Phillips didn't carry on like he was giving the play by play of a WWE match. He didn't resort to a bunch of cheerleading and sophomoric antics like he was leading the Pep Squad. That kind of thing is embarrassing and should not go on from the PA booth. No, you'd never hear that from Mr. Phillips, he was a genuine talent and a true gentleman. I really miss him.
Buc-a-roo Wrote:Mr Phillips was a staple in Belfry sports for many years. He was the ultimate professional and he did a fantastic job of handling the Public Address duties. He represented Belfry with dignity and class and no matter if the Pirates were ahead or behind, he did his job well and completely.

Anyone who aspires to be a public address announcer would be well served to listen to tapes of him doing his job and model themselves after Mr Phillips.

Although he was a Pirate, through and through, and that did show a little bit when he said "Another Pirate Touchdown", he still maintained composure and was as impartial as could reasonably be expected.

Some places you go, you hear all kinds of drivel from the PA. Mr Phillips didn't carry on like he was giving the play by play of a WWE match. He didn't resort to a bunch of cheerleading and sophomoric antics like he was leading the Pep Squad. That kind of thing is embarrassing and should not go on from the PA booth. No, you'd never hear that from Mr. Phillips, he was a genuine talent and a true gentleman. I really miss him.

You are sooooooooo correct.
I agree completely. IMO the PA guy is there to give the information to the fans about the play that just occurred. There is nothing wrong with a calling card call on first downs or td's. But otherwise, leave the cheerleading to the fans and cheerleaders.

Mr. Phillips did it right. Glad he is being honored. Anyone know who else is being honored?
The other inductees are

David Jones
Doug Howard
Josh Cullop
Anna Bevins
Don McCoy
Boo Hager
Richie Blackburn
Herbie Dotson
IMO they should name the press box after Steve Phillips.
I am getting old.... I remember riding in cars snatching road cones up with Boo like it was yesterday....
Buc-a-roo Wrote:The other inductees are

David Jones
Doug Howard
Josh Cullop
Anna Bevins
Don McCoy
Boo Hager
Richie Blackburn
Herbie Dotson

That's a great list of inductees and all are great people.

Congratulations, you've earned it!
Buc-a-roo Wrote:Mr Phillips was a staple in Belfry sports for many years. He was the ultimate professional and he did a fantastic job of handling the Public Address duties. He represented Belfry with dignity and class and no matter if the Pirates were ahead or behind, he did his job well and completely.

Ditto!!
EKUAlum05 Wrote:You are sooooooooo correct.
PaytoPlay Wrote:I agree completely. IMO the PA guy is there to give the information to the fans about the play that just occurred. There is nothing wrong with a calling card call on first downs or td's. But otherwise, leave the cheerleading to the fans and cheerleaders.

Mr. Phillips did it right. Glad he is being honored. Anyone know who else is being honored?
BoondockSaint Wrote:Ditto!!
Glad you guys agree. :Thumbs:
BoondockSaint Wrote:Ditto!!

EKUAlum05 Wrote:I am getting old.... I remember riding in cars snatching road cones up with Boo like it was yesterday....

Yes, you are old. :lmao:

He might remember that too. Confusedhh:
Buc-a-roo Wrote:.
Yes, you are old. :lmao:

He might remember that too. Confusedhh:

Shows what kind of athlete he was...

Any man can stop a car and grab a road cone..it takes a real athlete to hang out the window going 35 mph while his teammates grab his ankles and scoop one of those things into a Gold Ford Explorer. If anything was "Hall of Fame" worthy in itself, that was... HAHA
BoondockSaint Wrote:That's a great list of inductees and all are great people.

Congratulations, you've earned it!

i agree, congrats to them all
Steve Phillips was one of the nicest people I've ever met. Well deserved induction into the hall of fame at Belfry. in my book he's in the Hall of Fame of life.