Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Bengals @ Browns UPDATES
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Kickoff at 1:00 in Cleveland
With exceeded demands come higher expectations and right now the Bengals offensive line is trying to get back to last year's level.
http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20101...2/10030342

The line has not been immune to the problems that the offense has had in trying to be more balanced. Last season, the Bengals were great in run blocking but inconsistent in pass blocking. This year both have been inconsistent.

Going into today's game at 0-3 Cleveland, the 2-1 Bengals are still trying to establish an identity on offense. What direction they go will depend a lot on how far the line can take them.

"I think every year is a new year. You're always in many ways starting over," offensive line coach Paul Alexander said. "We would like to be ahead of where we were at the end of last year."

ProFootballFocus.com says three of the five starters on the line have negative grades - center Kyle Cook (minus 4.6), right tackle Dennis Roland (minus 5.0) and left guard Nate Livings (minus 5.5). Roland and Livings have given up 16 of the 25 quarterback pressures.

While Cook has blocked well, there have been three miscommunications on snaps. Last year there might have been three the entire season.

With the passing game struggling to connect on long routes, the frustration has boiled over to the receivers. Terrell Owens raised some eyebrows this week when he said: "I've been open on a number of routes, and for whatever reason, there's always been some kind of breakdown with protection, or Carson (Palmer) has to come out of the pocket, or he's rushed."

Through three weeks, according to PFF, run blocking is ranked 16th in the league and pass blocking is 20th.
Anxious aren't ya Dusty?
When The Bengals Run

In two starts against the Browns, Cedric Benson averaged 122.5 rush yards per game. Last week at Carolina, Benson became the first Bengal since Corey Dillon in 2001 to have a touchdown rushing and receiving in the same game. Brian Leonard returned last week and had two key fourth-down conversions. Browns defensive end Robaire Smith is second in tackles with 19, and linebacker Scott Fujita has 18.

When The Bengals Pass

Carson Palmer is 8-2 against Cleveland and has completed 210 of 337 passes for 2,255 yards with 23 touchdowns (his most vs. any opponent) against 14 interceptions). Chad Ochocinco, who is tied for fourth in the AFC in receptions with 20, has 11 touchdowns against the Browns (his most vs. any team) and needs one more to surpass Carl Pickens for the team record. Terrell Owens averages 82.5 yards per game in four meetings against the Browns. Jordan Shipley is tied for third in the AFC in third-down receptions (7). Cleveland rookie safety T.J. Ward leads the team in tackles with 24. Linebacker Marcus Bernard has four straight games with a half sack or more.

When The Browns Run

Peyton Hillis, who was acquired from Denver during the offseason in the Brady Quinn trade, had a career-high 144 yards last week against Baltimore. He has accounted for 17 first downs (11 rushing, six receiving), which is tied for third in the AFC. In last year's game at Cleveland, Jerome Harrison rushed for 121 yards. Bengals LB Dhani Jones has a team-best 30 tackles and had a forced fumble to set up the final touchdown vs. Carolina.

When The Browns Pass

Regular quarterback Jake Delhomme says he wants to play on his sprained ankle. In two starts filling in for Delhomme, Seneca Wallace is 34-of-55 for 370 yards with two touchdowns and an interception. Last year at Cleveland, Mohamed Massaquoi had career highs in receptions (eight) and receiving yards (148). TE Benjamin Watson had his first touchdown as a Brown last week. Bengals CB Leon Hall has three career interceptions against Cleveland.

Special Teams

Including the preseason, Mike Nugent has field goals of 50 yards or more in four of the last five games. In the regular season he has made all eight of his field goal attempts. Browns WR-KR Joshua Cribbs totaled 125 yards last week (58 receiving, 47 kick return, 20 rush). Phil Dawson is 1-of-3 on field goals.
NFL rank in parenthesis

Bengals Category Browns
2-1 Record 0-3
19.7 (16) Points for 15.0 (27)
328.7 (15) Total offense 314.3 (19)
100.3 (18) Rush offense 116.7 (11)
228.3 (15) Pass offense 197.7 (22)
18.3 (13) Points allowed 19.0 (T14)
300.7 (9) Total defense 321.7 (16)
104.7 (13) Rush defense 122.7 (21)
196.0 (11) Pass defense 199.0 (12)
+4 (T3) Turnover differential -1 (T19)
1. Get out of neutral: The Bengals' passing game has been stuck in neutral gear the past two games. Carson Palmer needs to improve his accuracy - he's completing 56.6 percent of his passes. It would be good to get a few to Terrell Owens on deep routes; he's been confined mostly to short stuff so far.

2. Improve protection up front: The offensive line has struggled on pass protection and at opening running lanes consistently. The line must start playing at the level it did last season, when it paved the way for Cedric Benson to rush for 1,251 yards.

3. Contain Hillis: Browns running back Peyton Hillis shredded Baltimore for 144 rushing yards last week and is averaging 5.6 yards per per carry this season. The Bengals allowed long runs by Baltimore's Ray Rice and Carolina's DeAngelo Williams but held each under 100 total yards. However, Hillis is bigger, faster and more physical.

4. Keep applying pressure: Cleveland has allowed only three sacks and the Bengals' defense has just one. The Bengals have done a better job of pressuring the quarterback the past two games and must force Jake Delhomme or Seneca Wallace into mistakes.

5. Account for Cribbs: Whether receiving, running the Wildcat offense or fielding punts and kickoffs, Josh Cribbs is a scoring threat. The Bengals are the only team in the division he has not scored against on a return.
On any given Sunday in the NFL, a team with an 0-3 record can beat a 2-1 club.

It will be interesting to see if the Cincinnati Bengals (2-1) can avoid the upset at Cleveland (0-3).

Even the national media is asking the question, “Is Carson Palmer hiding an injury?”

http://bleacherreport.com/tb/b69gy

Depending on what happens today at Cleveland Browns Stadium, how would Bengals fans feel if Cincinnati took a closer look at signing free agent quarterback JaMarcus Russell?

Bengals owner Mike Brown is, after all, a redeemer.

[ame="http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5618297"]Sources: John Lucas advising ex-Oakland Raiders QB JaMarcus Russell - ESPN[/ame]

And here’s yet another example of a current NFL star having no clue about players from the past.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdow...nfl-274064
Im sitting at work waiting for the game in the Old #2 Browns jersey today
CardinalAlum Wrote:Im sitting at work waiting for the game in the Old #2 Browns jersey today

LOL, god bless you, I hope you have a great day at work (but a miserable day as a Browns Fan) :biggrin:

:Thumbs: Enjoy, this is a game that has me worried. If the Bengals let Cribbs go off (like they have in the past), the Bengals will lose this game
Stardust Wrote:LOL, god bless you, I hope you have a great day at work (but a miserable day as a Browns Fan) :biggrin:

:Thumbs: Enjoy, this is a game that has me worried. If the Bengals let Cribbs go off (like they have in the past), the Bengals will lose this game

You never know what you will get when these 2 teams play each lol
Bengals WR Terrell Owens vs. Browns CB Eric Wright

http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20101...e-for-T-O-

What to watch: Owens is looking for a breakthrough game with the Bengals and could have the perfect chance against Wright, who was torched by Baltimore's Anquan Boldin for eight receptions and three touchdowns last week.

The skinny: The Bengals have had an utter lack of plays over 25 yards this year. With Wright struggling this would be a perfect time to reverse that trend.

Quotable: "There's not a sense of panic or anything right now, but you want to try to establish some kind of identity, chemistry, and flow of what we have offensively. As of right now, we haven't done that." - Owens on the offense
I have warned Bengals fans (and not out of spite, either), that this is a game to worry about. Cleveland is no longer an easy win, and they have real talent on both sides of the ball. If Eric Mangini wasnt coaching this team, I would take Cleveland, but since he is, Ill take Cincy 20-17. Prediction; Eric Mangini will be fired, and Bill Cowher will be coaching the Cleveland Browns next season, and THEN this division will be absolutely ridiculous.
TidesHoss32 Wrote:I have warned Bengals fans (and not out of spite, either), that this is a game to worry about. Cleveland is no longer an easy win, and they have real talent on both sides of the ball. If Eric Mangini wasnt coaching this team, I would take Cleveland, but since he is, Ill take Cincy 20-17. Prediction; Eric Mangini will be fired, and Bill Cowher will be coaching the Cleveland Browns next season, and THEN this division will be absolutely ridiculous.

One would hope that it will go that way.. I look for Mangni to be let go of at the end of the season but idk about Cowher, but I sure hope so.
TidesHoss32 Wrote:I have warned Bengals fans (and not out of spite, either), that this is a game to worry about. Cleveland is no longer an easy win, and they have real talent on both sides of the ball. If Eric Mangini wasnt coaching this team, I would take Cleveland, but since he is, Ill take Cincy 20-17. Prediction; Eric Mangini will be fired, and Bill Cowher will be coaching the Cleveland Browns next season, and THEN this division will be absolutely ridiculous.

Cowher will not go to the Browns! C'mon TH32, no way he would coach in the same division as the Steelers. I see him in Dallas next year!
Stardust Wrote:Cowher will not go to the Browns! C'mon TH32, no way he would coach in the same division as the Steelers. I see him in Dallas next year!
I was thinking the Giants
Stardust Wrote:Cowher will not go to the Browns! C'mon TH32, no way he would coach in the same division as the Steelers. I see him in Dallas next year!
Before the 1999 season started, Bill Cowher said that if there was any other team in football he'd like to coach, it was the Cleveland Browns. He was a player there, and he loves the city and its fans. And, this team would be set up just right for Cowher. They have a solid running game, a solid defense, a GM that wants to win, and all they need is a coach. I look for the Brownies to make a hard push for Cowher. He will be coaching next year, because he spent the last couple of years helping take care of his wife, and now that she has passed, and his children are grown up, he'll be on the sidelines next year, and I believe he'll be in Cleveland. He'll get the blessings from Steeler fans and from the organization. We're happy with Tomlin, lol..
That would be unforgivable. As much as I love Cowher, I would never forgive him for coaching Dallas. I would rather face him twice in the division, than see him coaching the evil empire.
^ What he has seen out of Browns management over the last 10 years has SURELY changed his mind of that!
Time for kick off
Bengals not showing much for run blocking
Gresham with a greatr run after the catch for the First down.
Bengals have been without a solid TE for a long time
Wow, Gresham was blasted but jumped right back up
Chad with his 21st catch of the year, that is down for only 3 games
looks like Gresham may be hurt
Wow, Carson 4-4 with 24 yards....
Bengals line MUST create some running lanes
Good defensive stand. Wow, that could have been Pick 6 for Pac Man
Lol, Cosby got rocked by his own guy
I predicted TO would have his first 100 yard game. There's his first 17
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5