Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: '87 Pikeville Panthers State Champions
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Here is a You Tube Link for the game

[YOUTUBE="1987 Pikeville Panthers"]p4wWvBYDEDY[/YOUTUBE]
Thanks for putting this game up. This team was awesome.
undefeated that yr., and state champs. The only team to come close in scoring that season was Henry Clay at the ville 28-15.:Thumbs:
Big Five-0- Wrote:undefeated that yr., and state champs. The only team to come close in scoring that season was Henry Clay at the ville 28-15.:Thumbs:

I'm sure you meant "came close to winning that season" rather than "scoring."

Does anyone have the Season records of those years? Who Pikeville played and the scores of that tremendous run they had?
It's crazy at how fundamentally sound that team was after watching that video.

A truly great mountain team!
Your correct on that one. Lol . I've got the regular seaason scores, and post season results. as follows:

REGULAR SEASON 1987 STATE PLAYOFFS:
PHS 28 Henry Clay 15 District Finals: PHS 63 Pineville 34
PHS 61 Fleming Neon 0 Regional Finals: PHS 28 Cumberland 0
PHS 49 Elkhorn City 6 State Semi: PHS 52 Beechwood 28
PHS 61 Virgie 0 State Finals: PHS 28 Russelville 6
PHS 39 Belfry 14
PHS 63 Phelps 8
PHS 61 Jenkins 0
PHS 59 Paintsville 0
PHS 42 Western HIlls 8
PHS 62 Johns Creek 7
Excuse the listing being jammed togather. When i put it up on the screen, it looked like it should have, but when i submitted it, it all ran togather.
Could use some of those guys now
Amen!!
That was Pikeville at there best.
For me to say that team was special is an understatement. They were amazing!
At the time (87' champ. game) the media reported there was only one football team left statewide that would possibly have a shot at the Panthers, and that was 4-A power and eventual state champ Boone Co.
Big Five-0- Wrote:At the time (87' champ. game) the media reported there was only one football team left statewide that would possibly have a shot at the Panthers, and that was 4-A power and eventual state champ Boone Co.

That was probably local media. I covered those state title games for radio and I didn't say that. They were very good no doubt. But Danville that year had a solid squad, big line and a pretty good wishbone backfield as well with Tim McDaniel (Centre's all time leading rusher), Donnie Redd (Future Mr. Football Runner-up), David Walker and Mike Clevenger (Centre College).

BTW Shelby County defeated Boone County for the State Title that year in AAAA. :Thumbs:
:Thumbs::Thumbs:
Hatz Wrote:That was probably local media. I covered those state title games for radio and I didn't say that. They were very good no doubt. But Danville that year had a solid squad, big line and a pretty good wishbone backfield as well with Tim McDaniel (Centre's all time leading rusher), Donnie Redd (Future Mr. Football Runner-up), David Walker and Mike Clevenger (Centre College).

BTW Shelby County defeated Boone County for the State Title that year in AAAA. :Thumbs:

Just checked local newspaper clippings from that yr. Ur right ,that was Shelby Co. that won 4-A. Boone Co. was predicted to win it all (4-A), because they were rated #1 for most of the season. Thats when it was suggested they had a chance at Pikeville.....by some. would have been interesting to see. BTW would have been interesting to see a Danville/Pikeville that yr.:Thumbs:
[quote=Big Five-0-]Your correct on that one. Lol . I've got the regular seaason scores, and post season results. as follows:

REGULAR SEASON 1987 STATE PLAYOFFS:
PHS 28 Henry Clay 15 District Finals: PHS 63 Pineville 34
PHS 61 Fleming Neon 0 Regional Finals: PHS 28 Cumberland 0
PHS 49 Elkhorn City 6 State Semi: PHS 52 Beechwood 28
PHS 61 Virgie 0 State Finals: PHS 28 Russelville 6
PHS 39 Belfry 14
PHS 63 Phelps 8
PHS 61 Jenkins 0
PHS 59 Paintsville 0
PHS 42 Western HIlls 8
PHS 62 Johns Creek 7[/QUOTE]

Correct me if I'm wrong but Pikeville and Johns Creek both went into this game undefeated. I remember Caywood Ledford used to do high school football picks every week on WYMT/WKYT and he picked Johns Creek if I remember correctly. I was a freshmon in hs at the time. I remember showering after our game and going out to my brothers truck and listening to the last minute of the game.
Hatz Wrote:That was probably local media. I covered those state title games for radio and I didn't say that. They were very good no doubt. But Danville that year had a solid squad, big line and a pretty good wishbone backfield as well with Tim McDaniel (Centre's all time leading rusher), Donnie Redd (Future Mr. Football Runner-up), David Walker and Mike Clevenger (Centre College).

Yeah. I remember that. I checked the ratings every week in the Lexington Herald and Boone was always number 1 but ended up losing in the finals. How high was Pikeville ranked overall in the state that year?

BTW I would have put Tim Honaker from Pikeville up against any of those guys. He was a beast. He benched over 400 in a competition as a junior if I'm not mistaken. I know he did as a senior.
Danville was awful good that year.
Westside Wrote:Yeah. I remember that. I checked the ratings every week in the Lexington Herald and Boone was always number 1 but ended up losing in the finals. How high was Pikeville ranked overall in the state that year?

BTW I would have put Tim Honaker from Pikeville up against any of those guys. He was a beast. He benched over 400 in a competition as a junior if I'm not mistaken. I know he did as a senior.

According to the AP ratings that yr., Pikeville was rated #1 in single A with 15 first place votes, and 83 total points overall. Now this was at the 4th week of the season and the polls for that week. IF memory serves me correctly, i'm almost sure they were rated #1 all classes considered, or at least most of the season. What an honor for a single A school!
Big Five-0- Wrote:According to the AP ratings that yr., Pikeville was rated #1 in single A with 15 first place votes, and 83 total points overall. Now this was at the 4th week of the season and the polls for that week. IF memory serves me correctly, i'm almost sure they were rated #1 all classes considered, or at least most of the season. What an honor for a single A school!

I remember them getting to #3 overall, but it wasn't the final poles.
That is true Westside. Both coaches and players at that time said Tim bench pressed 450 lbs. while the team visited U.K.'s training facilities in 1988, his senior yr.
Big Five-0- Wrote:That is true Westside. Both coaches and players at that time said Tim bench pressed 450 lbs. while the team visited U.K.'s training facilities in 1988, his senior yr.

He also bench 405 or 450, I'm not sure which, his senior year in a USPF powerlifting meet in Pikeville at Pikeville College.
This team had the three head monster of Chad Thornsbury, Bobby Duramous, and Greg Hackney in the backfield. Jeff Roup who I think got a scholarship to EKU and Tim Honaker on the line. Chris McName EKU. DeAnthony Honker lineman UK, and Mickey Webster linebacker UK were also on the team although I'm not sure they got to play much because they were sophomores. They were by far the best high school team I've ever seen.
T he only ones listed that didn't start in 87' was Tim's little bro.(little?? 6'2-280) Lol. Deanthony started as a soph. on the 89' team. Played def. tackle position. After grad., he went on to Kentucky to play for the Wildcats, as did Mickey Webster.
Westside Wrote:This team had the three head monster of Chad Thornsbury, Bobby Duramous, and Greg Hackney in the backfield. Jeff Roup who I think got a scholarship to EKU and Tim Honaker on the line. Chris McName EKU. DeAnthony Honker lineman UK, and Mickey Webster linebacker UK were also on the team although I'm not sure they got to play much because they were sophomores. They were by far the best high school team I've ever seen.

As biased as I am to the 2002/2003 Belfry teams...to this day that Pikeville team is still the best team to ever come out of the mountains IMO.

That Pikeville team was a fine oiled machine and the size/strength they had for a 1A team is of legendary standards.
Big Five-0- Wrote:T he only ones listed that didn't start in 87' was Tim's little bro.(little?? 6'2-280) Lol. Deanthony started as a soph. on the 89' team. Played def. tackle position. After grad., he went on to Kentucky to play for the Wildcats, as did Mickey Webster.

We played the 89 team. We used 13 people on kick off team (we would run two more players on the field after the ball was kicked) and Steve Bailey would still return it to mid field. We worked all week on a half back pass. Our coach promised us if we score first he would forfeit the game and walk straight to mid field and shake Hillard Howard and Bill Allaria's hand. We scored first with that play. Then they killed us. I think the final score was something like 76-18. IMO the 89 team was nowhere near the team of the 87 team.
Big Five-0- Wrote:T he only ones listed that didn't start in 87' was Tim's little bro.(little?? 6'2-280) Lol. Deanthony started as a soph. on the 89' team. Played def. tackle position. After grad., he went on to Kentucky to play for the Wildcats, as did Mickey Webster.

I read in the Lexington Herald years ago that when he reported to UK as a freshman he weighed over 350 pounds.
Westside Wrote:We played the 89 team. We used 13 people on kick off team (we would run two more players on the field after the ball was kicked) and Steve Bailey would still return it to mid field. We worked all week on a half back pass. Our coach promised us if we score first he would forfeit the game and walk straight to mid field and shake Hillard Howard and Bill Allaria's hand. We scored first with that play. Then they killed us. I think the final score was something like 76-18. IMO the 89 team was nowhere near the team of the 87 team.

I remember that very game. an away game. Agree 100%. That 87' team was the best. Iv'e talked with Hillard several times, and he's told me more than once that the 87' Panthers was the team.

Wasn't local media. Go back and read the articles in the Courier and Herald-Leader. Pikeville would have crushed a Boone Co./Shelby Co. all-star team.
jetpilot Wrote:Wasn't local media. Go back and read the articles in the Courier and Herald-Leader. Pikeville would have crushed a Boone Co./Shelby Co. all-star team.
JP, where ya been??
That was a great team I remember playing them and they were no weak spots on the team and it would have been 14-0 but we went for it in the 4th quarter twice on 4th down in our zone so the score was 28-0 but was better game than sounded. We played in state the year before and new this team was coming cause they were alot of sophs that year. This could be one of the best single A clubs ever so congrats to that team. In my opinion Cumberland was the 2nd best team in the state that year but nobody was beating Pikeville.
Pages: 1 2