Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: How good is Patrick Towles?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Just curious what some of you guys think that seen him play? How does he project at the next level? UK material?
UK is recruiting him, but the schools showing the most interest in him right now are Alabama, Notre Dame, Penn State, Northwestern, Louisville and Nebraska. I believe he is going to Notre Dame next week. He is a very mature player on the football field.
Yes and yes...

In my humble opinion I like Towles better then Zeke Pike.
Patrick has all of the intangibles. Would he make a solid D1 QB, I'm not too sure about that. He's not as good as Lorenzon or Guidugli (sic) were in HS, but he does have good upside. With a lack of experience, it's too hard to tell at this juncture.
i think he's a pretty good football player. he plays like a winner, runs when he has to, throws a solid ball. he will be a good college football player, it just depends on if a program keeps him at QB or turns him into a play making TE
I will try to go watch him play. He sure has a impressive list of schools recruiting him. I didn't realize he had that kind of potential. But in all fairness to him, I have no clue about the D1 players that's not Seniors this year. Ft Thomas sure does produce the talent. IMO, Lorenzen was the best QB i've seen at UK. Tim Couch was great too but I enjoyed watching Lorenzen the most. I really thought he would be a NFL star one day.
Stardust Wrote:Patrick has all of the intangibles.

Ditto. Just a Junior, he has exceptional leadership skills and can make every kind of throw. He also is very fast for someone his size and is a great kid. He will only get better as the season progresses and has one more year to improve. With his skill set the sky's the limit for young Mr. Towles.
Stardust Wrote:Patrick has all of the intangibles. Would he make a solid D1 QB, I'm not too sure about that. He's not as good as Lorenzon or Guidugli (sic) were in HS, but he does have good upside. With a lack of experience, it's too hard to tell at this juncture.

You can't make statements like this until the kid graduates. He's a Junior. That's like comparing "too sweet to be sour" to the legend Ricky Steamboat.
Does Highlands have any replays of their games anywhere online?

I'd really like to see him play.
whackem'n'stackem Wrote:You can't make statements like this until the kid graduates. He's a Junior. That's like comparing "too sweet to be sour" to the legend Ricky Steamboat.

Chill big man. I stand by my comments and know full well that he is just a Junior. I have also stated he has all the intangibles, thus he has plenty of upside. So could he - Yes. But is he - IMO, not yet!
NCC41 Wrote:UK is recruiting him, but the schools showing the most interest in him right now are Alabama, Notre Dame, Penn State, Northwestern, Louisville and Nebraska. I believe he is going to Notre Dame next week. He is a very mature player on the football field.
Time will tell it's hard to say I think next year will tell the tale of how good he is.To me it's hard to know how good he is when your not tested on the field of play yes he has the size. But he has a lot of good players around him.
Based on his performance the last couple of weeks during the 5A playoffs, I'd have to say his upside is off the charts good. His ability to extend plays and throw accurately down field while scrambling is what sets him apart from other QBs IMO.
Since Jim Bunning is his grandfather, does he play baseball too?
Towles is the prototypical passer, who happens to be fast too. Schools would be crazy not to take a chance on a guy his size who has the ability to throw deep outs. He can make all the throws. The guy is legit. Footwork and mechanics will improve with age too.
If i were Kentucky, I'd turn most of my recruiting from Pike to Towles. Pike is starting to pick up more and more offers from other SEC powers and i hope im wrong when i say this, but i don't see pike turning down those SEC powers for UK. soooo...

Towles, who is just as good as Pike IMO, would be a great fit for UK or Louisville. He'll have a chance to compete for a position quicker and those schools will be getting a great athlete.
Bob Seger Wrote:Since Jim Bunning is his grandfather, does he play baseball too?

Kids who play football at Highlands do not know there are any other sports.
I am a JC and Kentucky fan. I watched Towles play and he is the real deal. He has all the equipment and with one more year to hone his skills his upside is unlimited. Love to see him at UK!
sstack Wrote:Kids who play football at Highlands do not know there are any other sports.
lol!!!

I remember Smith and Lorenzon playing basketball, and the best I remember they were both pretty good at it. Seems like I remember them playing one of the good Paintsville teams in a Sweet 16 saturday morning game some time around the mid 90's. I could be wrong but, if I am not mistaken, they beat Paintsville in that game too. Didn't Lorenzon play a little baseball at one point too?

Just thought that a kid that has the cannon that he does would follow in his pap's Hall of Fame footsteps to some degree. At least be on the team anyways. How good are Highlands basketball and baseball teams normally? Other than the Lorenzon/Smith era I have never heard too much out of them in either sport. With the seasons favorable for a kid to play both baseball and football, I'm surprised that Highlands has not had several power pitchers over the years, considering all of the strong armed QB's they continually crank out.
Bob Seger Wrote:lol!!!

I remember Smith and Lorenzon playing basketball, and the best I remember they were both pretty good at it. Seems like I remember them playing one of the good Paintsville teams in a Sweet 16 saturday morning game some time around the mid 90's. I could be wrong but, if I am not mistaken, they beat Paintsville in that game too. Didn't Lorenzon play a little baseball at one point too?

Just thought that a kid that has the cannon that he does would follow in his pap's Hall of Fame footsteps to some degree. At least be on the team anyways. How good are Highlands basketball and baseball teams normally? Other than the Lorenzon/Smith era I have never heard too much out of them in either sport. With the seasons favorable for a kid to play both baseball and football, I'm surprised that Highlands has not had several power pitchers over the years, considering all of the strong armed QB's they continually crank out.
Since the Lorenzen and Smith days there have been very, very few kids to play two sports at Highlands. As far as baseball, it has never been a big sport at Highlands(much bigger in Kenton Co than Campbell Co.). As far as Basketball, there have been some very good teams over the years with quit a few sweet sixteens (I believe one runner-up and a couple semi final appearances).Just off the top of my head, Have you not heard of Scott Draud? I think he won Mr KY basketball award in 85-86. He was not recruited by UK and went on to Vandy and was a star. He was NIT MVP and an excellent 3 pt shooter that UK let slip away. I remember he had a couple very good games agianst the cats. The years since Lorenzen have continued to have less two sports athletes on them and although they compete well in the region, have had a significant decline.The competition to start on the football team has caused players to give up other sports to weight lift and practice football year round. I do not follow baseball, so do not know what extent it has effected that,but do know that it has killed the track program(track use to fight for regional title every year).
BlackcatAlum Wrote:Does Highlands have any replays of their games anywhere online?

I'd really like to see him play.

You can see the JC-Highland game on ihigh.com

He is the real deal, size, arm and rushing ability.
Towels can not make all of the throws. He throws a terrible screen pass to his runningback and the kid is 6'6. Highlands offense has no slant or hitch routes in it so it's hard to say he can make those throws accurately but I think he could. He is very mobile especially for his size but not as mobile as Lorenzen was. He is not fast. Fast is the quarterback that Highlands will face in the state finals. Towels throws a great deep out and long ball and is tough to bring down for most high school kids. My opinion is that he is definately a High major D1 recruit at quarterback.

Last he's not better than Zeke Pike imo.
nptb17 Wrote:Towels can not make all of the throws. He throws a terrible screen pass to his runningback and the kid is 6'6. Highlands offense has no slant or hitch routes in it so it's hard to say he can make those throws accurately but I think he could. He is very mobile especially for his size but not as mobile as Lorenzen was. He is not fast. Fast is the quarterback that Highlands will face in the state finals. Towels throws a great deep out and long ball and is tough to bring down for most high school kids. My opinion is that he is definately a High major D1 recruit at quarterback.

What would be a fair comparison of Pike versus Towles? Like opponents and what they did against each?
nptb17 Wrote:Towels can not make all of the throws. He throws a terrible screen pass to his runningback and the kid is 6'6. Highlands offense has no slant or hitch routes in it so it's hard to say he can make those throws accurately but I think he could. He is very mobile especially for his size but not as mobile as Lorenzen was. He is not fast. Fast is the quarterback that Highlands will face in the state finals. Towels throws a great deep out and long ball and is tough to bring down for most high school kids. My opinion is that he is definately a High major D1 recruit at quarterback.

You are right about him not throwing good screen passes, and very few plays to throw slants and hitch routes (but think he will have no problem with these). I highly disagree with Lorenzen being more moble. Lorenzen just flat out ran over people, I do not call that mobile. As far as his speed, he has good football speed,but not blazing. And lastly, I think he is better now and will be better college player than Pike. Pike is going to have alot of growing up to do(but I guess alot of college players are like that), and I think Towles will be much more coachable than Pike.
sstack Wrote:Since the Lorenzen and Smith days there have been very, very few kids to play two sports at Highlands. As far as baseball, it has never been a big sport at Highlands(much bigger in Kenton Co than Campbell Co.). As far as Basketball, there have been some very good teams over the years with quit a few sweet sixteens (I believe one runner-up and a couple semi final appearances).Just off the top of my head, Have you not heard of Scott Draud? I think he won Mr KY basketball award in 85-86. He was not recruited by UK and went on to Vandy and was a star. He was NIT MVP and an excellent 3 pt shooter that UK let slip away. I remember he had a couple very good games agianst the cats. The years since Lorenzen have continued to have less two sports athletes on them and although they compete well in the region, have had a significant decline.The competition to start on the football team has caused players to give up other sports to weight lift and practice football year round. I do not follow baseball, so do not know what extent it has effected that,but do know that it has killed the track program(track use to fight for regional title every year).
I certainly have heard of Scott Draud, but I was thinking that he came from one of the Newport schools, or am I thinking of Ronny Dawn? Anyways, thanks for the info.

Has his grandfather been someone who has played an active part of his athletic career, and does he get to attend many of his football games? I'm thinking with him in DC for the last few years, probably not. He certainly possess the prototype body that MLB scouts look for in a power right hander. Anyways, interesting that with his heritage,his size, and strong arm that he is not intimidating the baseball world from the mound as well.

Do not follow baseball?? That's just downright un-American. :biggrin:
Bob Seger Wrote:I certainly have heard of Scott Draud, but I was thinking that he came from one of the Newport schools, or am I thinking of Ronny Dawn? Anyways, thanks for the info.

Has his grandfather been someone who has played an active part of his athletic career, and does he get to attend many of his football games? I'm thinking with him in DC for the last few years, probably not. He certainly possess the prototype body that MLB scouts look for in a power right hander. Anyways, interesting that with his heritage,his size, and strong arm that he is not intimidating the baseball world from the mound as well.

Patricks grandfather has attended most of Patricks games. He was unable to attend last week due to a death in the family.
tradition Wrote:Patricks grandfather has attended most of Patricks games. He was unable to attend last week due to a death in the family.

Was he at Paintsville for the JC game?

I am assuming that security is beefed up quite a bit.. Dont mean to sound like an awe struck teenager, but I was a huge fan of him as a player and I certainly respect his representation of Kentucky in DC.
Bob Seger Wrote:I certainly have heard of Scott Draud, but I was thinking that he came from one of the Newport schools, or am I thinking of Ronny Dawn? Anyways, thanks for the info.

Dawn went to NCC. I do follow Major league BB, just not High shcool. It has never been a big sport in Ft Thomas and the Jr league in Ft Thomas is almost dead. As already mentioned, I have seen Mr. Bunning at many games this year.
He is pretty danged good. Easily the best HC has faced. Bell has a kid who has a similar body, but has not had the same opportunities to be a classic QB. He is also pretty good. Towles is by far and away the best HC has have faced in three years. Gold and Sheehan are the two best WR also. Good routes, good hands, good speed.

53 was my favorite player you had though. Well, 53 and 1. Warriors.
Bob Seger Wrote:Was he at Paintsville for the JC game?

I am assuming that security is beefed up quite a bit.. Dont mean to sound like an awe struck teenager, but I was a huge fan of him as a player and I certainly respect his representation of Kentucky in DC.

I did see Sen. Bunning at JC.
horst muhlmann Wrote:I did see Sen. Bunning at JC.

You know that is very interesting. I had not heard the first mention of him being here. Apparently it's common place for him to be in attendence in your area (obviously that being his home town), but in a small town like Paintsville, I would have thought the whole stadium would have been buzzing with the knowledge that a well known, highly out spoken U.S. Senator, as well as an MLB Hall of Famer was in the stands. I know he is not the President, but I just assumed that security would have been beefed up greatly. Apparently it's not a big of a deal that I would have assumed it was.
Pages: 1 2 3