Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: SV Basketball Coach out???
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Well why did most of the players quit? Was it b/c it wasnt fun for them anymore? If that is the reason then it would be Booher's fault b/c its mostly the coaches job to try to make the game fun for his players.
Rowe won 3 not 2 Geraldo.
This isnt last year... this is this year.  But do you think Rodney would take the job back?
[quote author=-STAT- link=topic=16834.msg209791#msg209791 date=1142191673]
Well why did most of the players quit? Was it b/c it wasnt fun for them anymore? If that is the reason then it would be Booher's fault b/c its mostly the coaches job to try to make the game fun for his players.
[/quote]

Exactly.
Maybe it wasnt fun anymore because Valley plays all year long with no breaks maybe?  But you still havnt answered the question if you THINK Rodney would take the job back?
[quote author=NoWeakness link=topic=16834.msg209679#msg209679 date=1142185936]
Rodney is the best coach in the 15th and maybe Eastern Kentucky, well him and Spurlock. Give Rowe, Vanhoose and Tackett and see if he doesn't win state. Booher is terrible, he should've lost last year but Paintsville didn't make their free throws. And the only reason he went to the finals is because the Region is so weak this year. This guy is clueless on the court he gets most of his information from his assisstant (Moberly). Has no set offense what so ever. This is a case of the Pike County Board trying to get more money so they let Booher be the coach at SV. Greg Newsome would be even a worse mistake this guy gets players from all over and is always stacked I mean I could win state with them guys too. Valley has went down hill since Booher has been there, the school is flipped upside down and his own players will tell you this. SV adminstrators make me sick.
[/quote]

Let's see... you say SV has went down since Booher has been there...hmmmm??

2005- 15th Region Champs
2006- 15th Region Runners-up

I bet all schools wish they could "go down" like this.  Hey No Weakness, I have found your weakness....you have no brain!!!!!
I think the only people that can honestly say if Booher is a good coach or not, are the people that have played for him. Not parents, not onlookers, not anyone but who has played for him. They're the ones who know how good he is. I'm not going to say what I personally think about him, because I honestly don't know. I go to SV buts its not like I attend every practice SV has and I'm sitting on the bench when he gives his intructions during games. I do know what some of the players think about him, and I haven't heard a whole lot of positive comments, but I have heard quite a few negatives. This is not my opinion, I can honestly say I have no idea whether he is a good coach or not. But if you honestly love basketball and you want to play, you're going to play whether you like the coach or not. And if you have a lot of talent, then you're going to do pretty good whether the coach has helped you with this at all.

As for Rodney Rowe, he is a wonderful man. I've known him most of my life, I attend church with him and he is a pretty good friend of the family. The only people I heard complaining about Rodney when he was coaching were the parents. I never heard the players complain about him like they do Booher. It was always parents who were mad that their son didn't get to play as often as they liked. But I have also heard some of the very same parents who complained about him, complain about Booher just as bad, if no worse. And I've also heard them say they wish Rodney would come back. But if he was offered the job and declined, I wouldn't blame him one bit. Would you?
I heard this last night from someone's who's family works at Valley and they said that it was true so we will just have to wait and see.
[quote author=True Blue link=topic=16834.msg210046#msg210046 date=1142211070]
The only people I heard complaining about Rodney when he was coaching were the parents. I never heard the players complain about him like they do Booher.
[/quote]

I liked your post for the most part, but I heard a ton of players complain about Rowe just as much as Booher, and most people who played for Rowe still talk bad about him til this day
I"ve never heard any of it
Not every player or parent or community member likes every coach, but let them coach a season with high school aged kids who don't always play hard, who are sometimes unmotivated, who sometimes have other people telling them opposite of what your telling them and see what happens.
[quote author=BasketBallonlyfan link=topic=16834.msg209796#msg209796 date=1142191874]
Maybe it wasnt fun anymore because Valley plays all year long with no breaks maybe?  But you still havnt answered the question if you THINK Rodney would take the job back?
[/quote]

Yes he would and anybody could have won a region with the talent Booher had and the talent this year could have won too if they would have realized they had a 6'5 big man that could score anytime if he ever saw the ball during the regional.
[quote author=basketballjones link=topic=16834.msg210271#msg210271 date=1142227618]
[quote author=BasketBallonlyfan link=topic=16834.msg209796#msg209796 date=1142191874]
[/quote]

Yes he would and anybody could have won a region with the talent Booher had and the talent this year could have won too if they would have realized they had a 6'5 big man that could score anytime if he ever saw the ball during the regional.
[/quote]
Yeah, but the coach can't force the guards to pass it to the big man.  And teams packed in the 2-3 zone trying to prevent SV from getting into the paint.

Some folks on here need to realize it's not always the coaches who get wins and losses...sometimes kids play well and execute, sometimes they don't.
[quote author=basketballjones link=topic=16834.msg210271#msg210271 date=1142227618]
[/quote]

[/quote]

If he would come back, why did he leave in the first place.  He had a contract and resigned.  He could not have been forced out when he left, he had legal options he could have turned to.  I just dont see him taking the Valley job back.  I might be wrong, but I dont see it.  The middle school players are wanting Booher out so Greg can have the job.  That is what the parents of a few of them are going to the board office and saying.  So what does Rodney have anything to do with this anyways?
Jason Booher has done an excellent job with a tremendous program, and now some parents are wanting him out. It is a shame that some people want to try to destroy a program with a past that stretches back for several decades. I think that Booher should be left alone to make his own decisions about his career. He has won one regional title and came within 3 points of another with a team that all but abandon him and the Shelby Valley pride. If Booher decides to return he will have another shot at going to the state again because he is a good coach, irregardless of who comes up from the middle schools or who abandons our community again for personal and selfish reasons.
Well i played 4 years under Rodney Rowe and i would just like to say that while i was there i thought that he was the best coach ever. The only reason he left is because the parents had more power than he did at the time.  If i was him i wouldnt take it back, but for SV bball i hope that he does. I dont know Booher but i have heard nothing but bad about him from players and parent both.
A. Doo Doo isn't Rodney by any means... give me a break ha ha to that!

B. Greg Newsome would be a better fit...for that program. 

C. The only reason Booher ever got the job is because he married the right girl.
As long as the parents keep running things at Shelby Valley it will continue to be the laughing stock of the 15th region.  Not because they don't have good athletes or good sports teams, but because the parents at SV are never satisfied and they turn every sports season into a circus!  Your coach won the region last year and was runner-up this year and all you want to do is bash him.  Even one of your junior high programs wanted him to lose, what a joke!! 

But I am a Pikeville fan so I say keep it up Valley parents, we love the one or two stud athletes that we get every year!!!  Heck, Virgie is our best feeder school right now! 
[quote author=bball fan link=topic=16834.msg210530#msg210530 date=1142285729]

But I am a Pikeville fan so I say keep it up Valley parents, we love the one or two stud athletes that we get every year!!! Heck, Virgie is our best feeder school right now!
[/quote]

:lmao:

Funny, but sadly true
[quote author=fox sports link=topic=16834.msg210298#msg210298 date=1142244842]
[/quote]

[/quote]
Yeah, but the coach can't force the guards to pass it to the big man.  And teams packed in the 2-3 zone trying to prevent SV from getting into the paint.

Some folks on here need to realize it's not always the coaches who get wins and losses...sometimes kids play well and execute, sometimes they don't.

[/quote]

So if they don't do what they are told then they should be on the bench, from what I read in the paper everytime Valley lost Booher blamed the players, so the players is what got them to the finals not the coaching..
[quote author=BasketBallonlyfan link=topic=16834.msg210302#msg210302 date=1142252072]
[/quote]

[/quote]

If he would come back, why did he leave in the first place.  He had a contract and resigned.  He could not have been forced out when he left, he had legal options he could have turned to.  I just dont see him taking the Valley job back.  I might be wrong, but I dont see it.  The middle school players are wanting Booher out so Greg can have the job.  That is what the parents of a few of them are going to the board office and saying.  So what does Rodney have anything to do with this anyways?
[/quote]

I dont think he would come back if the job was offered to him again. Parents did force him out. He loved coaching, and only resigned because he felt no one wanted him there. Yes, he had the legal options, but why stay if no one wants you to coach there. Now the same people are complaining about Booher and wishing Rodney was back.

I agree Booher had some games where I was completely unaware of what he trying to do, namely the District championship against Pikeville, and quite a few players quit, but another coaching change so quickly would just keep the cycle going. Valley may or may not need someone new, but if a change happens then it would just give the parents more power.

[quote author=pedro link=topic=16834.msg210495#msg210495 date=1142281019]
A. Doo Doo isn't Rodney by any means... give me a break ha ha to that!

B. Greg Newsome would be a better fit...for that program. 

C. The only reason Booher ever got the job is because he married the right girl.

[/quote]

That's hillarious but so true.
Nobody forced him out he wanted to quit after the first regional title but stayed on for whatever reason, I have a strong feeling he would come back if asked.
One, Rodney was pressured out! 

Two, he is a great coach and person that would be a great asset to any high school program! 

Three, give Booher a break.  He took a team that wasn't suppose to do anything and this team got better.  You will never find a coach that everyone agrees with.  Yes they had some players quit, but it doens't matter what the coach does if you love the game then you are going to play for him.
[quote author=hootie link=topic=16834.msg211020#msg211020 date=1142343488]
One, Rodney was pressured out! 

Two, he is a great coach and person that would be a great asset to any high school program! 

Three, give Booher a break.  He took a team that wasn't suppose to do anything and this team got better.  You will never find a coach that everyone agrees with.  Yes they had some players quit, but it doens't matter what the coach does if you love the game then you are going to play for him.
[/quote]
Good post!

Just wondering...Can anyone name a coach that never had a player quit the team???
I just wonder if all the players that quit because they didnt think he would do a good coaching job wish they would have stayed on the team.  Not many teams around here can lose 6 or 7 of their best players and make it as far as Shelby Valley did.  None of the tourney games this year were blowouts.  But if a team lost there best players, then I think that about every one would have been. 
Good post Hootie!!! I have known Rodney for many years and he is one heck of a coach, maybe the best x and o man in the coaching business.  Booher took a talented bunch of individuals, had several quit and still made it into the finals of the regional and came within 3 points of going to Rupp! Both are good coaches and both are good men. If the community would have supported our sports programs like they did 20+ years ago, Shelby Valley would be going to Rupp this year with either of these coaches. I don't think it is any coaches fault for any loss that Shelby Valley has had in the last few years, I see it as an abandonment of the community and parents of Shelby Valley High School as a whole!
Until the administration at SV gets some balls and keep the parents out of the schools business there will never be a coach good enough for them. Parents are to quick to get mad because their child doesn't get enough playing time or they are not the star of the game and start griping. They do this in front of the kids and then the kids  begin to think they are the best and no one can tell them what to do. This kind of attitude is what caused Rodney to leave and it will also cause others to.
[quote author=SV Wildcats link=topic=16834.msg211461#msg211461 date=1142386660]
Until the administration at SV gets some balls and keep the parents out of the schools business there will never be a coach good enough for them. Parents are to quick to get mad because their child doesn't get enough playing time or they are not the star of the game and start griping. They do this in front of the kids and then the kids  begin to think they are the best and no one can tell them what to do. This kind of attitude is what caused Rodney to leave and it will also cause others to.
[/quote]

I agree 100%.  I dont see a way that all parents will like the same coach because all kids wont get to start.  Why not let the coaches decide who plays and who dont and then judge the coach on his record.  1 regional title, 1 regional runner up sounds pretty good for a team with a new coach and system that has been in place for 2 years.  I think he has proved himself.  To bad the parents of the players dont see that too.
Talent is what won at Valley not coaching, Booher never had a winning record as a head until he got there.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5