Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Harlan County vs Letcher County JV Monday
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
LetcherCentral23 Wrote:Letcher Central is turning into a JOKE! I am going to send my kids to Jenkins. I have been a LCC fan since it's inception but I have lost all respect for that school system as well as the school and it's athletic department. I realize that Jenkins isn't that strong right now but they are young. They only have two seniors on their team and Jenkins JV and Middle School teams are much more competitive with the teams of their respective districts than LCC or their consolidated middle school team. At least they have a coach who cares about the players. You wait, in 5 years time people are going to set up there on the hill with their top notch facility and look around to see empty bleachers and a loss on the scoreboard.
i dont know about the empty bleachers but the scoreboard part is already happening.
LetcherCentral23 Wrote:Letcher Central is turning into a JOKE! I am going to send my kids to Jenkins. I have been a LCC fan since it's inception but I have lost all respect for that school system as well as the school and it's athletic department. I realize that Jenkins isn't that strong right now but they are young. They only have two seniors on their team and Jenkins JV and Middle School teams are much more competitive with the teams of their respective districts than LCC or their consolidated middle school team. At least they have a coach who cares about the players. You wait, in 5 years time people are going to set up there on the hill with their top notch facility and look around to see empty bleachers and a loss on the scoreboard.

Sounds like you have the same mentality as the school board. There is other sports at LCC other than football(Surprise, Surprise). You have a Girls Soccer team which is undefeated and one of the favorites to win the region and is currently a two time defending district champ. You have a boys Soccer team which is one of the better teams in the region and getting better each year. You have a volleyball team that is poised to win a sixth straight regional championship. You have a boys and girls cross country team who are defending regional champs. You have a girls basketballl team who has won one regional, one regional runner-up and four districts since the beginning of the school's existence. They are also well-disciplined on the floor and have never had a technical foul called on a player(can you say the same about the personal fouls and unsportsmanike conduct called on the football players) in the history of the school. They have a boys basketball team that has won two districts and is poised to be one of the top four teams in the region this year with very few Seniors. Their baseball team has won a regional title and is consistently a winner as well as being well-coached and well-disciplined. The softball team has had a winning season every year. The track team has won multiple regional titles as well as the tennis team. The wrestling team has also been competitive also. So when you say the athletic department, I hope you mean football as the future is bright for every other sport much to the consternation of certain people who have turned Letcher Central into a football dictatorship. It has backfired to no surprise to many in the community. When the school was developed, they openly stated that football was the anchor sport. If it wasn't for the other athletic teams representing the school in a winning and classy manner, the "anchor" would sink the ship.
Have to agree Letcher does have a good middle school program and always enjoyed playing them and the competition they bring, Larry is a great guy and a good coach and if I lived across the mtn. I would really after to consider mine wearing a green uniform.
It has backfired to no surprise to many in the community. When the school was developed, they openly stated that football was the anchor sport. If it wasn't for the other athletic teams representing the school in a winning and classy manner, the "anchor" would sink the ship.

When you say this you make it sound like everyone that is involved in the football program is classless. I completely resent this, not every child or coach acts in a classless manner. My son plays for this team and has never acted this way. The worst thing he has ever done was get a holding penalty.
This is the second brawl that has ensued during a Harlan County football game in the past two weeks. The other was varsity against Leslie two Fridays ago and resulted in some suspensions. I am not going to delve into whether LCC has problems and were not doubt frustrated because the way the game was swinging but this thread is terrible unfair to the LCC and all of the blame have been placed on them. There is no way that they are 100% to blame in this and their team is being crucified over this.
One young man I know quit the football team and started doing another sport. I asked him why he quit and he told me it was not fun anymore and he was appaulledf with the atitudes of the coaches and some players. I did not realize it at the time, but it appears this young man saw the future of this program as being dim. At the time I could not understand this, but now I applaud his decision.
Coach Howard Wrote:Easy now LetcherCentral23, my middle school team is pretty competitive with everyone and we haven't done anything wrong at our level. I would dare you to ask my kids if they think that I care about them or not. And I do agree with you, Larry will have that team at Jenkins playing well in the short future and he's a great coach and better person.

You're right about your middle school team, and I will openly apologize to you, your staff, and most of all your players. I just got caught up in my frustration with the high school team. I have the upmost respect for you, in fact, was hoping that you would have been named the high school coach. Sorry!
I think it should of been Maggard, Frazier or Sergent. Letcher County boys.....
58fan Wrote:It has backfired to no surprise to many in the community. When the school was developed, they openly stated that football was the anchor sport. If it wasn't for the other athletic teams representing the school in a winning and classy manner, the "anchor" would sink the ship.

When you say this you make it sound like everyone that is involved in the football program is classless. I completely resent this, not every child or coach acts in a classless manner. My son plays for this team and has never acted this way. The worst thing he has ever done was get a holding penalty.

There are some good coaches and players on this team but the actions of a few causes people to draw conclusions about the whole program. The discipline(or lack thereof) started way before Coach Whitaker came along. Kids shouldn't be judged by the actions of others but programs shouldn't ever be placed on pedestals over other programs especially when the other programs have been more successful on a more consistent basis and with less support from the hiearchy(The athletic director does support all the sports in a consistent manner).
This thread was started on how do you think this game will turn out not a bashing on LCC, will never do that to another school. I do agree with Maggard or Frazier.
tcb Wrote:One young man I know quit the football team and started doing another sport. I asked him why he quit and he told me it was not fun anymore and he was appaulledf with the atitudes of the coaches and some players. I did not realize it at the time, but it appears this young man saw the future of this program as being dim. At the time I could not understand this, but now I applaud his decision.

There has been a rumor up to 10 quit in the past few weeks.
Jughead07 Wrote:This is the second brawl that has ensued during a Harlan County football game in the past two weeks. The other was varsity against Leslie two Fridays ago and resulted in some suspensions. I am not going to delve into whether LCC has problems and were not doubt frustrated because the way the game was swinging but this thread is terrible unfair to the LCC and all of the blame have been placed on them. There is no way that they are 100% to blame in this and their team is being crucified over this.

I don't think frustrations over the way a game is going justifies a reason to leave the bench and get in fights though.
Whether LCC is 100% to blame the acts of the team were uncalled for and hopefully coaches and players will be punished. However I doubt that any punishment will be dealt with locally it would have to come from the state level.
There were 5 kids that quit yesterday
lean&mean Wrote:There were 5 kids that quit yesterday

Where at? Harlan County or LCC?
OrangenowBlue Wrote:Sounds like you have the same mentality as the school board. There is other sports at LCC other than football(Surprise, Surprise). You have a Girls Soccer team which is undefeated and one of the favorites to win the region and is currently a two time defending district champ. You have a boys Soccer team which is one of the better teams in the region and getting better each year. You have a volleyball team that is poised to win a sixth straight regional championship. You have a boys and girls cross country team who are defending regional champs. You have a girls basketballl team who has won one regional, one regional runner-up and four districts since the beginning of the school's existence. They are also well-disciplined on the floor and have never had a technical foul called on a player(can you say the same about the personal fouls and unsportsmanike conduct called on the football players) in the history of the school. They have a boys basketball team that has won two districts and is poised to be one of the top four teams in the region this year with very few Seniors. Their baseball team has won a regional title and is consistently a winner as well as being well-coached and well-disciplined. The softball team has had a winning season every year. The track team has won multiple regional titles as well as the tennis team. The wrestling team has also been competitive also. So when you say the athletic department, I hope you mean football as the future is bright for every other sport much to the consternation of certain people who have turned Letcher Central into a football dictatorship. It has backfired to no surprise to many in the community. When the school was developed, they openly stated that football was the anchor sport. If it wasn't for the other athletic teams representing the school in a winning and classy manner, the "anchor" would sink the ship.

I was with you until there Wink
Forever Maroon Wrote:Where at? Harlan County or LCC?

LCC which might be dressing under 40 kids now.
^Hater
^Lol, your one to be calling someone a hater Big Grin
Who quit?
Jughead07 Wrote:This is the second brawl that has ensued during a Harlan County football game in the past two weeks. The other was varsity against Leslie two Fridays ago and resulted in some suspensions. I am not going to delve into whether LCC has problems and were not doubt frustrated because the way the game was swinging but this thread is terrible unfair to the LCC and all of the blame have been placed on them. There is no way that they are 100% to blame in this and their team is being crucified over this.

we know who won the game, but who won the fight
Don't have none quiting at Harlan so it must have been at LCC, I hate to see kids quit but really dont have a clue what they are dealing with on that side of the mountain but wish them the best.
former Wrote:we know who won the game, but who won the fight

[Image: kmebojxpfm7newpq5kob.jpg]
zaga_fan Wrote:[Image: kmebojxpfm7newpq5kob.jpg]

^ Nut. LOL
I do not know the names of all the boys who quit for LCC, I do know this, one of the boys loved the game of football, it is basically what he lived for. LCC now has less than 40 players, this is not acceptable at a school of this size. I do believe that the superintendent who is responsible for the coaches that are there should look into this problem. It is indeed serious! It is my understanding that one of the assistant coaches cussed these boys at Harlan, questioned their heart which apparently has been taken away, and talked about their ancestry if you know what I mean......I think it is time that Anna Craft the person responsible for the hiring of these coaches, in fact in the creation of their very jobs if you can call them jobs take appropriate action. I am pretty hard core and understand when coaches yell, and scream, and sometimes sound a little like a drunk sailor, but when they call the players names, question their intelligence, and their ancestry it is time for them to go. The head coach also takes some of the blame, all the players where talked to Tuesday and they did in fact tell their side of the story and he backed his assistant up. I also understand this to a point but it is time for someone to go before the whole program is decimated.
:popcorn:
zaga_fan Wrote:I was with you until there Wink

LCC's boys have everyone back except Cole Cornett & should be much improved!
In my opinion and my opinion only a head coach is more than just a person that knows the X's and O's. That person should be someone who instills pride and care for the players. It should be a person that players will give every ounce of there hearts to win for. I really think the success of the Letcher County middleschool program is a very good example of this.
tcb Wrote:In my opinion and my opinion only a head coach is more than just a person that knows the X's and O's. That person should be someone who instills pride and care for the players. It should be a person that players will give every ounce of there hearts to win for. I really think the success of the Letcher County middleschool program is a very good example of this.

The boys were really glad to have Coach Hillard Howard on the field at practice yesterday and around the festival with them last night. Saw several of them talking with Coach Terry Howard. Sure hope this is a sign of things to come. Definitely on Team Howard!!!
Rooster Cogburn Wrote:LCC's boys have everyone back except Cole Cornett & should be much improved!

The only way they could be considered for the top 4 is simply because there isn't anyone to really mention other than HHS PCC and KCC.
It's slim pickings after those three.
A few possible sleepers, but no one great.
you are so Right! something needs to be done, before those players get dishearted with it, i would hate to see so many good players just give up on something they really love....
Pages: 1 2