Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Prestonsburg 35 Pikeville 13
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Very sloppy game at times for both teams.

Pikeville has a good team and I think they'll win their district this season. They're defense made some nice plays, but Prestonsburg was pretty successful when they didn't commit a penalty on offense. I bet we lined up offsides on offense six times tonight. That's inexcusable and it will get us beat down the road.

Our defense played pretty good for the most part, but give up a few plays to the QB, who was darn good! Didn't get to see a whole lot of Taylor Ratliff, as the Blackcats kept him in check all night.

Special teams was big for Prestonsburg, as Jamerson had two nice punts inside the Pikeville 10-yd line. Bryson Williams also had some very nice returns tonight, as did Nathan Slone. Pikeville's kicker, big props to him as he's the best kicker I've seen since Taylor Begley of Boyle County in '00.

Huge game tonight from Bryson Williams. He's going to be one heck of a football player, as he's only a sophomore and I bet he had over 300 all-purpose yards tonight.

Congrats Blackcats... best of luck on the rest of the season Pikeville!
Congrats Blackcats
I hear this was a hard hitting game on both sides.
Whatever adjustment was made with the defensive front at the half was big. It looked like the line started penetrating and playing on the Panther's side of the LOS vs. standing straight up and reacting. It locked down Pikeville's running game well after Pikeville had moved it effectively in the first half.

Pikeville almost dared P-burg to throw the ball by playing heavy fronts in the first half. The Blackcats couldn't run against it, but Crisp threw through and over it for a number of big plays. After the break, it seemed the Panthers backed off to a base defense allowing P-burg more room on the ground.

Props to the Pikeville crowd. They brought a good number of fans and supported their team well. I think you guys are on the right track with getting the program back in stride. Much better looking team than last year !!

:Thumbs:
Congrats Blackcats and John.
Congrats Blackcats. Big game next week.
oneijoe Wrote:Whatever adjustment was made with the defensive front at the half was big. It looked like the line started penetrating and playing on the Panther's side of the LOS vs. standing straight up and reacting. It locked down Pikeville's running game well after Pikeville had moved it effectively in the first half.

Pikeville almost dared P-burg to throw the ball by playing heavy fronts in the first half. The Blackcats couldn't run against it, but Crisp threw through and over it for a number of big plays. After the break, it seemed the Panthers backed off to a base defense allowing P-burg more room on the ground.

Props to the Pikeville crowd. They brought a good number of fans and supported their team well. I think you guys are on the right track with getting the program back in stride. Much better looking team than last year !!

:Thumbs:

:Thumbs: Agree on the state of Pikeville football. I like coach Mac, and always have. Give him some time, folks.

Pburg played sloppy again tonight, particularly in the first half. This will come back and bite them if they do not learn to focus for an entire game. They don't have the margin for error to allow mental lapses like tonight.

Crisp MUST learn to go through his progressions. There were at least 3 passes, if not more, where he tried to force a deep pass to Jamerson (who was double or triple covered) and had 2-3 other receivers wide open. His tendency at this point is to lock in on his favorite receiver and not read what the defense is giving him. He did make some nice passes on backside posts and some wheel routes, though, so kudos there...

That being said, when Pikeville seemed to gain the momentum, the Blackcats always answered. Next week will be the big test...Sheldon Clark, who beat a good Lawrence County team this week. SC has played a monster schedule, and even though their record is ugly, they are just now coming into their own.

On a side note...tonight may have been the most lopsided officiated game I have ever witnessed. Granted, many of the offsides penalties were our players jumping, how possibly can a crew justify 15 penalties on Pburg and 3 (2 of which were intentional delay of game penalties to give their kicker/punter more room to kick)? Is Jimmy Cecil running for Mayor of Pikeville? Many, many holds on Pikeville not called, but based upon the number of flags thrown against them (1 single holding call in the 4th when the game was out of hand and the fans were really starting to get on the crew) you would think that Pikeville played the cleanest, most perfect game in the world.

Good luck the rest of the year, Panthers. Here's hoping Mac all the success in the world (except against Pburg).
This game should be called "The Battle of US 23"
Pulp Fiction Wrote:This game should be called "The Battle of US 23"

Pikeville, Paintsville, And Prestonsburg all three play in a three way battle of US 23. lol.
That's why I want Paintsville and Pikeville to get their programs straightened out. A return to the Glory Days when the 3 P's all had tough teams is good for everyone.
Congrats to P-Burg
congrats p-burg,good luck pikeville the rest of the way.
Congrats Blackcats!
Congrats P burg. Good luck next week Pikeville.
Congrats P-Burg
cat86 Wrote:That's why I want Paintsville and Pikeville to get their programs straightened out. A return to the Glory Days when the 3 P's all had tough teams is good for everyone.

Paintsville has a lot of talent in the elementary school, and middle school give them two or three years and they will be just fine. Same with Pikeville. It is really tough for a school as small as Paintsville, or Pikeville to keep up a constant football program.
PaintsvilleTigerfan Wrote:Paintsville has a lot of talent in the elementary school, and middle school give them two or three years and they will be just fine. Same with Pikeville. It is really tough for a school as small as Paintsville, or Pikeville to keep up a constant football program.

In the past decade, neither Pikeville or Paintsville have done that well. Both have had their years over the past decade, but before that, both of these schools fielded top 10 teams year in and year out.
Congrats to P-burg on the win.This team will make some noise in the playoffs. I do believe Coach Mac is doing a fine job for the Panthers, and they are playing with more heart and intensity. Better days ahead for both teams, and hopefully the 3p's of the Big Sandy will be more competive in the future.
Congrats to P-Burg!
Congrats Blackcats!
BlackcatAlum Wrote:In the past decade, neither Pikeville or Paintsville have done that well. Both have had their years over the past decade, but before that, both of these schools fielded top 10 teams year in and year out.

Paintsville's biggest problem right now is flat out numbers enrollment is down big time and that translates to less kids on the field. add to that a changing of the guard so to speak in the coaching staff and you've got alot of down years. I dont follow pikevilles program but I would say it is alot of the same goin on down there too.
Grats Pburg
yes i agree even though im a hazard fan