Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Ironton, OH 43 Ashland 6
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
final
WOW! Didn't see this one coming. I thought Ashland might run the table in the regular season this year. What happened?
Great game by a Fighting Tiger team that had yet to show up this year. I stated on an earlier post that the only thing Ironton was missing this year was heart and they found that tonight. I've seen Ashland one time this year prior to tonight and I can say that the Tomcats played far from their best ball this evening. When they are on their game they are dangerous. It seemed that nothing was clicking. Hunter is an incredible athlete and will be trouble for many teams this year. I wish the Tomcats the best of luck the rest of the way and I'll be rooting for you from I-town.
Ashland 10 penalties 145 yards

Ironton 2 penalties 25 yards

Welcome to tank stadium
Ashland 10 penalties 145 yards

Welcome to tank stadium
tomcatfan722000 Wrote:Ashland 10 penalties 145 yards

Welcome to tank stadium

I was wondering just how long it would take before someone blamed the refs.

Not long.
Jeepman Wrote:I was wondering just how long it would take before someone blamed the refs.

Not long.

Even at that it didn't cost them the ballgame. Lord even Dickie said that.
I would've never thought it would be so lopsided. What happened to Ashland?

Welcome to tank stadium

I watched the game. It didn't have anything to do with the REFS! The Tomcats were totally dominated in every phase of the game. Ashland had better figure out how to stop the run or they won't go very far in the playoffs.
absolute and total domination by the Tigers.
I would be suprised if Sam Hunter ever wanted to play football again after getting absolutely murdered tonight by the Tiger defense. He needed help getting off the ground by the 3rd quarter. Absolutely brutal!
Did not expect this... congrats Tigers!
I didn't expect it either. I was expecting a good ole fashion slobber knocker. it was.....it just happened to be one sided.
I would imagine this lays to rest the "Ashland vs Northern KY Football" thread along with my career as a football scout. :-) I really thought Ashland would win.
How could you not see this coming? They couldn't stop Greenup on the ground. If not for GC turnovers this would be Ashlands 2nd loss. Ironton was bigger, stronger, in better shape, and faster. Not to mention revenge was on thier minds. They were man handled from beginning to end. Brutal eeeewwww!! If not for a couple of sustained drives they may have had negative yards for the game.
Congrats Ironton
Of the few posts I've made on this site I've done nothing but praise the Tomcats, and I'm from Ironton. But for someone to actually blame Tank Stadium and the refs for a 36 point beating is absolutely absurd. The Tomcats had no answer for our offensive OR defensive lines and had absolutely nobody who could stop or catch Tres Wilkes from behind. Our big fullback Warner had his way between the tackles and our QB looked good throwing when he had to. Bob Lutz prepared a very strong Ironton team to face a very strong Ashland team and Ironton played a mistake free football game. Ironton's secondary seemed to be reading Ashland's QB well all night, that is, when he wasn't on his back. Good luck Tomcats the rest of the way and as I said before, I'll be rooting for you from I-town.
BlackcatAlum Wrote:Did not expect this... congrats Tigers!

ALWAYS expect this when the Tomcats go across the river. The Tigers are a sleeping giant in small school OH football.
Spank you very much!
Nothing to do with the refs! There were some questionable calls but... In no way did this help them score 43 pts!!! # 28. Did that just about all by himself all 5 of his. The line play was the difference in the game they had some an we didn't! That's all folks!

On to the next!

Ohh .... Congrats to the better team... Ironton!

Welcome to tank stadium

Wow...I wondered how long this would take. Like I said earlier........the Tomcat kids either WIN, get CHEATED or the coaches let us down. It is NEVER due to lack of talent or ( 145 penalty yards ? ) lack of DISCIPLINE
Playing at tank did play a part in the game tonight. but not because of bad officials, cheating, or any of that junk. Like putnam stadium, tank is a tradition rich part of the football world. Just playing there gets in your head.
Bottom line Ironton played a great game and Ashland did not. Dont cheapen the hard work of the tigers by blaming the refs
Neutral fan here. Never been to the Tank and figured tonight would make a good first time. What an amazing atmosphere for football. Wow. Just Wow. I sat on the home side and was just blown away. Best high school football experience you can have. I really was excited to see this Tomcat juggernaut id been hearing about.
But ......As far as the game. Well it was complete domination. It wasnt even close. Ironton physically beat ashland to the point i felt bad for them. Really. Irontons line was in the backfield all nite long. Someone mentioned the penalties.... Well ill say this Ashland could have been called for alot more. There lineman were grabbing at jerseys all nite trying to block the ironton rushers. EVERY penalty i saw was correct. When you run back 20 yards to throw a pass AND you HOLD your going to have some costly penalties. I really think Hunter didnt want to get up toward the end. He was taking shot after shot. It was that bad. Irontons gameplan against the spread offense was probably the best ive ever witnessed. They destroyed it.

Irontons offense is a machine. That offense is basic..hard core..here we come.. now stop us. Its beautiful to watch the discipline they play with. I was very impressed. Executed to perfection every play. Hard runners, fast runners they had them all. Ashlands line was blown off the ball 5 yards every play.

After hearing all the talk all week this was not what i expected. But i came away with a new appreciation for ironton and the way the play the game. The old Coach with his T formation just schooled Coach Hart and his fancy spread offense. Ive always said its more bout execution than what your running. Case in point.
Congratulations Tigers! I knew you could do it. I was one of the few that thought we even had a chance. Total domination tonight! Basic offense full house backfield, I-formations run, run, run. Fundamental football and great discipline! Congrats Tigers, good luck the rest of the season!
fromdaville Wrote:Neutral fan here. Never been to the Tank and figured tonight would make a good first time. What an amazing atmosphere for football. Wow. Just Wow. I sat on the home side and was just blown away. Best high school football experience you can have. I really was excited to see this Tomcat juggernaut id been hearing about.
But ......As far as the game. Well it was complete domination. It wasnt even close. Ironton physically beat ashland to the point i felt bad for them. Really. Irontons line was in the backfield all nite long. Someone mentioned the penalties.... Well ill say this Ashland could have been called for alot more. There lineman were grabbing at jerseys all nite trying to block the ironton rushers. EVERY penalty i saw was correct. When you run back 20 yards to throw a pass AND you HOLD your going to have some costly penalties. I really think Hunter didnt want to get up toward the end. He was taking shot after shot. It was that bad. Irontons gameplan against the spread offense was probably the best ive ever witnessed. They destroyed it.

Irontons offense is a machine. That offense is basic..hard core..here we come.. now stop us. Its beautiful to watch the discipline they play with. I was very impressed. Executed to perfection every play. Hard runners, fast runners they had them all. Ashlands line was blown off the ball 5 yards every play.

After hearing all the talk all week this was not what i expected. But i came away with a new appreciation for ironton and the way the play the game. The old Coach with his T formation just schooled Coach Hart and his fancy spread offense. Ive always said its more bout execution than what your running. Case in point.

As an Ironton fan I'm very happy to hear about your positive experience last night at The Tank. Coach Lutz has built his winning tradition on execution and last night everything was clicking. I've never seen Ironton play so well against a spread offense, especially one as talented as Ashland's. This year will be different due to the size and speed of our defensive front and the extreme speed in our secondary. Thanks for all of the kind words!
Wow, what a blow out. GO TIGERS!!
Wow, forget about the Tomcats competing with NKY teams, and focus on beating OH teams
I just wanted to apologize about my referee comment even though there were questionable calls they had nothing to do with the missed blocks dropped passes or interceptions Congrats tigers you were the better team see ya next year
Stardust Wrote:Wow, forget about the Tomcats competing with NKY teams, and focus on beating OH teams

Yeah this confirmed we are not as good as the scores if our games indicated but were gonna keep working hard to get ready for waverly and then for Johnson central see your bluebirds soon I hope :Thumbs:
This game truly reminded me of a SEC vs. Big Ten matchup. Ironton being Big Ten and Ashland being SEC. The only difference is the Big Ten got the best of the SEC.
Stardust Wrote:Wow, forget about the Tomcats competing with NKY teams, and focus on beating OH teams

Agreed, right now is not to time to offer any opine as it would look like excuses. I would make this suggestion though, let some of the NKY teams play Ironton this year, at Ironton. I say it's possible you could come away with an enlarged view of the nature of that challenge.

Unless you give them film from another season or something, they 'will' be prepared for you. It aint all bad, and it aint as bad as it seems. Ashland will be back and they will be playing well. I should add this, Ironton brought it and they kept bringing it all night. They were very impressive and I would like to give them all the credit and the coaches.
Pages: 1 2