Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Somerset vs Bell Co. (In Theory)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Since it seems that some members of BGR feel that Somerset is potentially being disrespected for not being the #1 team in the Mountains, I am wondering what everyone's thoughts would be if these two teams played eachother this year? How do you think each team would fair home and away?

I personally would love to see this game on the schedule next year!
Bell County by 14+.
They played JV 2 years ago at Somerset, Bell won like 32-6 I think. But Somerset/LCC was the 2 best teams they played all year.
log mtn mafia Wrote:They played JV 2 years ago at Somerset, Bell won like 32-6 I think. But Somerset/LCC was the 2 best teams they played all year.

Somerset was in the game in the first quarter when our quarterback was knocked out. After that the Briar Jumpers were unable to move the ball. We also had some sophomores and a couple of freshmen starting varsity that didn't make the trip--as I'm sure Bell had some held out also. I think Somerset's offense has improved a bunch since then. I think Bell has the advantage no matter where the game would be played. On a neutral field I'd say put the spread at 10-17 points. The Bobcats were by far the best team Somerset played the last 3 seasons in JV.
Bell by 3 TD's plus.
We played both last year. Somerset beat us in a close game. Bell handed it to us and it was over by the 2nd quarter!!!!!!!!!

No contest, Bell is too big, too strong and too fast. Somerset has some good skill but Bell is that good. Personally i don't think Somerset is the best team in Pulaski Co. Pulaski is.
Bell Co by 28
Bell should win anywhere and anytime they play but if Somerset played at Bell late in the season when it had "rained" all week it would be a blow out!
zebra'seyes Wrote:Bell should win anywhere and anytime they play but if Somerset played at Bell late in the season when it had "rained" all week it would be a blow out!

Real funny. They have a tarp they cover the field with so it would not be a problem. It is clear you believe in urban myths. :eyeroll:
Bobcat_Dad Wrote:Real funny. They have a tarp they cover the field with so it would not be a problem. It is clear you believe in urban myths. :eyeroll:

Peta should be called. Some people love beating dead horses. :HitWall:
Green Co. played Somerset's JV this season and Somerset won 20-14 or something like that. Personally I don't think somerset can stay within 4 td's of Bell IMO. Judging off Green Co. playing Bell varsity and Somerset JV
Bell would win by at least 3 td's.
Pigskinman53 Wrote:Green Co. played Somerset's JV this season and Somerset won 20-14 or something like that. Personally I don't think somerset can stay within 4 td's of Bell IMO. Judging off Green Co. playing Bell varsity and Somerset JV

You do know that none of the players that played in the Somerset-Green County JV game get any playing time on Somerset's varsity except for a few on special teams, right? I've never seen anyone use JV results as a basis for varsity predictions.
Norm Peterson Wrote:You do know that none of the players that played in the Somerset-Green County JV game get any playing time on Somerset's varsity except for a few on special teams, right? I've never seen anyone use JV results as a basis for varsity predictions.

I hate for this to come out the wrong way but he got to see Bell's JV in the Varsity game. Pretty much for the whole 2nd half against Green Co.
Bobcat_Dad Wrote:I hate for this to come out the wrong way but he got to see Bell's JV in the Varsity game. Pretty much for the whole 2nd half against Green Co.

:Thumbs:
Like I said Somerset wouldn't stay within 4 Td's of Bell Co.
Somerset is the #1 3A team in the state IMO.

With that said, Bell County by 17-21 points.
With all due respect to Somerset ( I think they have a very nice looking football team and are THE TEAM in 3A to this point) I do not believe that they want to play Bell Co. Bell Co is the top team in 4A by a long shot, and they are in the top 5 teams in the state, rivaled only by Trinity, St. X, and Highlands. I do not believe this game would be close, as with the rest of the games on Bell County's schedule will not be close. They are the best team in the mountains by at least 5 tds.
Wow, I mean Somerset is very very good this season but it will take a few years sustaining this level of success to even try to compare them with Bell. IMO, and I am a Somerset fan, if this year's Bell and Somerset teams played 10 games Bell would win AT LEAST 8-9 times. I'm not trying to take anything away from Somerset I definitely think they are the 2nd best team in the mountains but it has taken Bell years to get to the level of success they currently enjoy whereas Somerset has had to rebuild several times over the last decade. I mean come on guys, beating Danville is nice but honestly, Bell>>>>>>>>>>>Danville.

That being said, I would love for Somerset and Bell Co. to play at least once every couple of years in a bowl game or something. I think it could be beneficial to both programs to play each other. What would be great is if they made the Ray Correll Bowl a 3-year contract with a random team(Bell), SW, PC, and Somerset playing each other once every three years. I know that will never happen because the county schools would hate it but it would be awesome.
ol ball coach Wrote:With all due respect to Somerset ( I think they have a very nice looking football team and are THE TEAM in 3A to this point) I do not believe that they want to play Bell Co. Bell Co is the top team in 4A by a long shot, and they are in the top 5 teams in the state, rivaled only by Trinity, St. X, and Highlands. I do not believe this game would be close, as with the rest of the games on Bell County's schedule will not be close. They are the best team in the mountains by at least 5 tds.

Whereas I'm not ready to concede they are THAT much better than my Rebels in the end (banged up team right now), I do believe that Bell is in a special class that is just playing superior ball right now. Somerset is starting what looks to be another special year but I don't think they have the overall ability to matchup with this Bobcat squad. Bell this year has key leaders that were an integral part of the State Champs 2 years ago and WERE the team of last year that had such a marvelous run. :Thumbs:
Dudley has an exprienced bunch of guys who have been in the wars before, and have only lost 2 games in the past 3 seasons. I still think if Bell Co. played Alcoa they would have made a better showing this season than last season
Take it from me, I've seen Bell play in person this past week and as bad as we made Lynn camp look, they made us look worse. Maybe the best and fastest Bell team I"ve seen in 20 years. Bell would dominate Somerset. Somerset is good but not in Bells league. I look forward to watching Bell and Johnson Central tomorrow. No I am not going to Belfry
redstorm Wrote:Take it from me, I've seen Bell play in person this past week and as bad as we made Lynn camp look, they made us look worse. Maybe the best and fastest Bell team I"ve seen in 20 years. Bell would dominate Somerset. Somerset is good but not in Bells league. I look forward to watching Bell and Johnson Central tomorrow. No I am not going to Belfry

You coming up to Log Mountain tomorrow? You are more than welcome if you want to. Just make sure and sit on Bell's side. :biggrin:
ol ball coach Wrote:With all due respect to Somerset ( I think they have a very nice looking football team and are THE TEAM in 3A to this point) I do not believe that they want to play Bell Co. Bell Co is the top team in 4A by a long shot, and they are in the top 5 teams in the state, rivaled only by Trinity, St. X, and Highlands. I do not believe this game would be close, as with the rest of the games on Bell County's schedule will not be close. They are the best team in the mountains by at least 5 tds.

By a long shot? Really? You're dead wrong, buddy! TongueirateSho
Bell would win the pretty easily..The argument is pointless.
Bell is Bigger
Bell is Stronger
Bell is Faster
Bell is Better
Therefore Bell would win....
by however much they wanted to win by
What is the point of this thread?

Has any Somerset supporter said anywhere on here that Somerset would beat Bell Co.

One poster said that based on records and how far they both went last year that Somerset deserved some consideration to be the Mt. #1

Bell Co has a strong program and tradition, it amazes me that a Bell Co. supporter would even waste his time pointing out that Bell is better.

Will they play this year, No.

This makes as much sense as a Bell vs Highlands thread or a Highlands versus St. X thread. Neither ggame is going to happen and any speculation as to who would win is just that speculation.

Do I think Somerset has been disrespected, a little, maybe early when they were not in the top 7 in 3A. Last year every mountian school we played in the playoffs were sure they would destroy the Briar Jumpers and many feel that way again this year. That is fine, games are not played in the polls, Sports Overtime or Bluegrassrivals....they are played on the field....that is the only place we look for respect.

Somerset has a fine team this year, if we end the year #2 in the Mt's then that would hopefuly mean that both of our schools won the state championship, that would be fine with me.
Jumper Dad Wrote:What is the point of this thread?

Has any Somerset supporter said anywhere on here that Somerset would beat Bell Co.

One poster said that based on records and how far they both went last year that Somerset deserved some consideration to be the Mt. #1

I was wondering the same thing. I know neither you or Norm mentioned anything about Somerset being better than Bell, I sure didn't. I think a SW fan mentioned it the other day on the Mtn. Top 10 thread but no Somerset supporters have said this.
Man I have missed alot in a couple of days I sure didn't know I would be the cause of a thread lol!!! Like others have said in this thread it would be pure speculation but I do believe somerset would win and I disagree with whoever said bell was the best in 4a that would be Boyle County. I hope I have not made any Somerset fans upset by supporting our local team but I stand by everything I have said.
Not even a contest Bell all the way.
Pages: 1 2