Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Ashland vs. NKY Football
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
after watching the beat downs this season are they a team that can challenge the nky teams or are they just a good team playing overmatched competition opinions?
Ironton this week. That should tell you a little something. Johnson Central down the road after that, but they seem down this year.
But honestly, I'm thinking "or". Dixie spanked them last year in the playoffs and Dixie hasn't been above mediorce in years. Start taking it to teams like them and we'll talk.
If the question is , can Ashland take down FtThomas? , I'm afraid the answer is no.
Can you dig it? Wrote:Ironton this week. That should tell you a little something. Johnson Central down the road after that, but they seem down this year.
But honestly, I'm thinking "or". Dixie spanked them last year in the playoffs and Dixie hasn't been above mediorce in years. Start taking it to teams like them and we'll talk.

There was a reason for the DH loss. The Tomcat line was decimated last year by injuries. During the playoffs is not the time to try to compete while you're under manned. Ashland got shoved around a lot in that game.
I understand ft Thomas is really good just wondering if they are good enough like jc last year to make the game competitive
Generally speaking this comparison of teams could be better made a little later in the season. I've heard the Bluebirds are not as good this year as they have been the last several years. Ashland is on an up tic, as their program is out of the rut and healthy top to bottom.

Would a game between Highlands and Ashland be competitive? Going by the state of things right now I'd have to say yes. And Ashland was able to beat Dixie Heights year before last.
Competitive maybe, win, I doubt it.
No
gapman Wrote:Generally speaking this comparison of teams could be better made a little later in the season. I've heard the Bluebirds are not as good this year as they have been the last several years. Ashland is on an up tic, as their program is out of the rut and healthy top to bottom.

Would a game between Highlands and Ashland be competitive? Going by the state of things right now I'd have to say yes. And Ashland was able to beat Dixie Heights year before last.

I hope we get to find out. I've always wanted to see a game at Ashland, and I believe this is a travel year for the NKY district.
Well this is of no benefit to anyone, just spectulation an I seriously doubt that anyone other than a few manic fans have thought about. I for one will take it one game at a time! And if.... IF that fantasty game would come to a reality I am confident the coaching staff we have in place will do what they have done for every other game this year..... which is work there tails off in the film room an on the practice field to prepare for the juggernaut that is Fort Thomas Highlands. GO CATS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
This isnt about just highlands but covcathe dixe and Scott as well remember we weren't even good enough to make it tp highlands last year so can the cats get past either Dixie or covcath to even get to play highlands
gapman Wrote:Generally speaking this comparison of teams could be better made a little later in the season. I've heard the Bluebirds are not as good this year as they have been the last several years. Ashland is on an up tic, as their program is out of the rut and healthy top to bottom.

Where are you hearing that the Birds are not as good? Yes, they might be a step or two down this year, but no one put up much of a threat last year and by playoff time, this team will walk thru the first couple of playoff games and might see JC put up a good fight for a half. I honestly think last weeks game is going to be the toughest game of the year and the Ryle rematch the only other game that a team might put up a fight(although I think HHS wins the rematch by 17-21 pts). If you think HHS is not very good this year because of the Beechwood and Withrow scores, than you obviously did not see the games. Both games HHS was up big and the subs let them score in the Beechwood game, and Withrow scored 20 pts late in the 4th after game was all but over. No disrespect to Ashland, but since the playoffs went to 6 classes, 5A competition has been weak. I think with realignment, that we will see better competition in 4A.
tomcatfan722000 Wrote:This isnt about just highlands but covcathe dixe and Scott as well remember we weren't even good enough to make it tp highlands last year so can the cats get past either Dixie or covcath to even get to play highlands

Scott has been Nky's homecoming team for 40 years, Dixie is a mediocre team the past 10 years, and Cov Cath has been way down(actually very bad) the past 3 years. Cov Cath is showing that they may be turning things around this year, but it is still too early to tell. So to answer your question, yes it is conceivable that Ashland could get past these teams and face HHS.
sstack Wrote:Scott has been Nky's homecoming team for 40 years, Dixie is a mediocre team the past 10 years, and Cov Cath has been way down(actually very bad) the past 3 years. Cov Cath is showing that they may be turning things around this year, but it is still too early to tell. So to answer your question, yes it is conceivable that Ashland could get past these teams and face HHS.
yet Dixie beat Ashland 41-14 last year. Mediocre wins out sometimes.
Can you dig it? Wrote:I hope we get to find out. I've always wanted to see a game at Ashland, and I believe this is a travel year for the NKY district.

I believe you are right about that, this is your travel year. It would be great to host the Birds at Ashland, here's hoping!
sstack Wrote:Scott has been Nky's homecoming team for 40 years,

A little over 30 years, Stack. Don't make me older than I already am.:dontthink:biggrin:
sstack Wrote:Scott has been Nky's homecoming team for 40 years, Dixie is a mediocre team the past 10 years, and Cov Cath has been way down(actually very bad) the past 3 years. Cov Cath is showing that they may be turning things around this year, but it is still too early to tell. So to answer your question, yes it is conceivable that Ashland could get past these teams and face HHS.

That's the insight I was looking for I knew highlands was very good but last year come playoff time that district almost swept the first round so what I'm understanding is that shouldn't be the case this season?
tomcatfan722000 Wrote:That's the insight I was looking for I knew highlands was very good but last year come playoff time that district almost swept the first round so what I'm understanding is that shouldn't be the case this season?

Hard to tell. Highlands has been bitten somewhat by the injury bug this season, but they've got a lot of weaponry that all seems to have a different look to it. The passing game is iffy to this point, good one week, then non-existent the next. The running game is very good, but the return of Compton will elevate things considerably. The defense is also very good and is likely to only improve as the season progresses. Then comes the stinky old but.....
BUT, as Bryan Station almost proved in 2008, no team is invincible once the playoffs start. Bryan Station took the Birds to the wire, and I've been around long enough to know it can happen at any time.
As for Dixie, CovCath and Scott, all appear to be down. Dixie has a decent group of athletes, but I've questioned the coaching and conditioning for years. That said, Dixie **** a hurtin' on the Toms last year. They're fairly enigmatic and have been for years. Ditto for CovCath. They've won convincingly twice, and been throttled twice so far this year. I think they'll handle Beechwood this week, but I think NewCath will win the following week. After that the most telling game will be the Dixie game, and the Friday Dixie/Ryle contest should give us an idea who has the inside track for the #2 spot in NKY 5A.
No doubt who has the inside track on the #4 spot. Scott is pretty awful. They're capable of playing with some of the lesser A & AA teams in the area, but again they walked into Johnson Central last year as a huge underdog and stuck 41 up on the Golden Eagles. They lost some very good players from that team, but it will still be interesting to see whose carpet they leave a mess on in the first round this year.
Highlands is a little down, but they did beat Ryle & Manual by double-digits.

Wink
Ashland and Campbell County had been scrimmaging prior to this year. Anyone watching those scrimmages could easily see how far ahead the Camels were to the Tomcats. And the Camels have been mediocre at best.
Can you dig it? Wrote:Hard to tell. Highlands has been bitten somewhat by the injury bug this season, but they've got a lot of weaponry that all seems to have a different look to it. The passing game is iffy to this point, good one week, then non-existent the next. The running game is very good, but the return of Compton will elevate things considerably. The defense is also very good and is likely to only improve as the season progresses. Then comes the stinky old but.....
BUT, as Bryan Station almost proved in 2008, no team is invincible once the playoffs start. Bryan Station took the Birds to the wire, and I've been around long enough to know it can happen at any time.
As for Dixie, CovCath and Scott, all appear to be down. Dixie has a decent group of athletes, but I've questioned the coaching and conditioning for years. That said, Dixie **** a hurtin' on the Toms last year. They're fairly enigmatic and have been for years. Ditto for CovCath. They've won convincingly twice, and been throttled twice so far this year. I think they'll handle Beechwood this week, but I think NewCath will win the following week. After that the most telling game will be the Dixie game, and the Friday Dixie/Ryle contest should give us an idea who has the inside track for the #2 spot in NKY 5A.
No doubt who has the inside track on the #4 spot. Scott is pretty awful. They're capable of playing with some of the lesser A & AA teams in the area, but again they walked into Johnson Central last year as a huge underdog and stuck 41 up on the Golden Eagles. They lost some very good players from that team, but it will still be interesting to see whose carpet they leave a mess on in the first round this year.

Here are the facts thus far tomcatfan722000. You can make your own judgment.

COMPARED TO LAST YEAR AT THIS TIME
Will Bardo in his first 4 games of the season last year had thrown the ball 59 times and completed 32 passes for 662 yards averaging 21 yards a pass completion. He had thrown for 4 interceptions. He had rushed the ball for 137 yards.

Patrick Towles in his first 4 games of the season has thrown the ball 60 times and has completed 32 passes for 654 yards averaging 20 yards a pass completion. He has thrown 3 interceptions. He has rushed the ball for 271 yards.

6 Austin Sheehan 5 receptions for 185 yards. Averaging 37 yards a pass completion

16 Daniel Gold 9 receptions for 204 yards. Averaging 23 yards a pass completion

30 Brian Gall 9 receptions for 194 yards. Averaging 22 yards a pass completion

Iffy perhaps, but compared to last year it looks at least for now that iffy ain't so bad and everything is right on track.
Stardust Wrote:Ashland and Campbell County had been scrimmaging prior to this year. Anyone watching those scrimmages could easily see how far ahead the Camels were to the Tomcats. And the Camels have been mediocre at best.

Not to want to look argumentative Stardust but, my take on the last scrimmage between CC and Ashland is different. What you saw was two contrasting coaching styles. The Camels treated the meeting like a game they were trying to win, evidenced by the fact that once they saw that the screen pass was going to work they proceeded to run it 13 times. Yes I meant to say thirteen. Ashland on the other hand had a different agenda as they wanted to see as many people as they could run a diverse attack to see what they needed to work on.

No question CC won the scrimmage. You put Campbell up against Ironton Oh, an opponent Ashland handled pretty well, and then you'd get a comparision on whether the Camels are really ahead of Ashland or not. One thing for sure, Ashland got a lot of practice time against the screen pass and were not burned on it again the rest of the season.
NCC41 Wrote:Here are the facts thus far tomcatfan722000. You can make your own judgment.

COMPARED TO LAST YEAR AT THIS TIME
Will Bardo in his first 4 games of the season last year had thrown the ball 59 times and completed 32 passes for 662 yards averaging 21 yards a pass completion. He had thrown for 4 interceptions. He had rushed the ball for 137 yards.

Patrick Towles in his first 4 games of the season has thrown the ball 60 times and has completed 32 passes for 654 yards averaging 20 yards a pass completion. He has thrown 3 interceptions. He has rushed the ball for 271 yards.

6 Austin Sheehan 5 receptions for 185 yards. Averaging 37 yards a pass completion

16 Daniel Gold 9 receptions for 204 yards. Averaging 23 yards a pass completion

30 Brian Gall 9 receptions for 194 yards. Averaging 22 yards a pass completion

Iffy perhaps, but compared to last year it looks at least for now that iffy ain't so bad and everything is right on track.

Impressive stats, have you looked at Ashland's qb/wr production ytd?
gapman Wrote:Not to want to look argumentative Stardust but, my take on the last scrimmage between CC and Ashland is different. What you saw was two contrasting coaching styles. The Camels treated the meeting like a game they were trying to win, evidenced by the fact that once they saw that the screen pass was going to work they proceeded to run it 13 times. Yes I meant to say thirteen. Ashland on the other hand had a different agenda as they wanted to see as many people as they could run a diverse attack to see what they needed to work on.

No question CC won the scrimmage. You put Campbell up against Ironton Oh, an opponent Ashland handled pretty well, and then you'd get a comparision on whether the Camels are really ahead of Ashland or not. One thing for sure, Ashland got a lot of practice time against the screen pass and were not burned on it again the rest of the season.

I agree. I'm a little wary of putting much into scrimmage results. The Highlands/Trinity scrimmage a few weeks back was different because it was run like a lot like a real game, but generally they're just something for the coaching staff to try new things, evaluate players, and see where things stand for the upcoming season. Campbell County is mediocre, (something which will forever remain a mystery to me,) and as bad as they lost to Roger Bacon, I'd hate to see what they'd do against Ironton.
One thing that thee Ashland faithful MUST stress to their players IF they are to compete at that level is DISCIPLINE. Without this ......they will NOT compete and spend the whole evening blaming the officials. Be DISCIPLINED and COMPETE with anyone !!!
Stardust Wrote:Ashland and Campbell County had been scrimmaging prior to this year. Anyone watching those scrimmages could easily see how far ahead the Camels were to the Tomcats. And the Camels have been mediocre at best.

Well I was there an yes they did seem to struggle some, but the passing game in comparison to last season is well..... Not comparable. We were definetly more run oriented last year with Albers. They are much more seasoned as a whole. The Tomcats are running the spread O as well as anybody! I think anyone who gets the chance to see this 2010 version of the tomcats should take the chance an judge for themselves?
gapman Wrote:I believe you are right about that, this is your travel year. It would be great to host the Birds at Ashland, here's hoping!

For one I hope HHS plays at Paul Blazer vs. JC in Paintsville in November... it's a much easier drive from Ft. Thomas.
horst muhlmann Wrote:For one I hope HHS plays at Paul Blazer vs. JC in Paintsville in November... it's a much easier drive from Ft. Thomas.

I enjoyed the drive to Paintsville, but I'd like to get a look at Putnam Stadium, just for a change of scenery. I'm sure the Ashland folks would like to host us for a change.
BADCAT74 Wrote:Well I was there an yes they did seem to struggle some, but the passing game in comparison to last season is well..... Not comparable. We were definetly more run oriented last year with Albers. They are much more seasoned as a whole. The Tomcats are running the spread O as well as anybody! I think anyone who gets the chance to see this 2010 version of the tomcats should take the chance an judge for themselves?

Sounds like they have made some very possitive changes. Good luck with the rest of the season
Stardust Wrote:Sounds like they have made some very possitive changes. Good luck with the rest of the season

:Thumbs:
Pages: 1 2