Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Ashland @ Ironton, OH 9/17
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Thoughts on this one.
I'll go with the Tomcats by 6.
ashland at ironton.....ashland will get a real test at ironton but i think they will be able to move the ball well just if the defense can keep ironton from running wild....and the refs dont get involved
ashland --------26
ironton---------14
Blackcat, If you put the poll on there for me. Thanks I wasn't sure how to do it.
This is a classic Big 10/SEC matchup. Ashland is the SEC team with the speed and flashy sets. Ironton is the big, plodding powerful team who is going to take it straight at Ashland.

Ashland will have to stack the box to stop Ironton's running game. They have a big line and some pretty decent running backs. However, I can't figure a way Ironton stops the Ashland spread offense. Too many weapons from too many directions.

I know a poster on the other thread commented about this year's Ironton team playing with a lack of passion, but it would surprise me if they don't want this game with Ashland pretty badly after last year's loss. I look for this game to be a war. Considering it's at Ironton, I think it will come down to the wire and be decided by a turnover. Ashland wins 26-24.
Tomcats by 8
Tomcats make it to in a row..
Ashland's defense continues to improve week by week as new players keep stepping up. The team over all is much better on defense. The report card for the line will be interesting this coming week against the Tigers at the tank.

The Tomcat offense is likely potent enough to win this week along with a rejuvenated defense. They say you always see the most improvement between week 1 and 2 but the Cats will continue to tweak their game for the forseeable future. They are still a 'ways off' from peaking.IMO
Ironton will have to play a perfect game to have a chance. Ashland has scored more than 40 points in every game this year I believe. I don't see that changing anytime soon. I'll take the Kitties by 2 TDs.

Ashland 44
Ironton 28
if its a shoot out ill go with Ashland 110% and i think Ironton will test the tomcats I dont think they will have an answer for that tomcat offense.
Friends with an Ironton coach who was scouting Ashland vs Russell last night. With the game virtually over at half, I texted him with one word... "Impression?"
His response was that Ashland had great overall team speed but "We aren't Russell" Couldn't have said it better myself, but as a Tomcat alum, I saw what they did with Belfry. Cats pull this one out by 2 TDs.
Ashland in a close and hard fought battle.
Tomcats name the score???
Will this be the first time Ashland and has made it two in a row against Ironton? I think it may be close. We all know how the officiating can be when a Kentucky team crosses that river.
From everything I see, Kentucky folks are already making excuses about the officials a week in advance. Do you really think you're gonna need the excuses? I'm from Ironton and I have stated on here several times that if Ashland plays their game they can and will win. Don't cry about officiating before the game starts, it gives the impression that you have no confidence in your team. I have seen some tape of the Tomcats and I am very impressed with the entire team. Let them play their game and stop whining.
Frogtownbuckeye Wrote:From everything I see, Kentucky folks are already making excuses about the officials a week in advance. Do you really think you're gonna need the excuses? I'm from Ironton and I have stated on here several times that if Ashland plays their game they can and will win. Don't cry about officiating before the game starts, it gives the impression that you have no confidence in your team. I have seen some tape of the Tomcats and I am very impressed with the entire team. Let them play their game and stop whining.

No offense intended Frogtown, the players coaches and fans have nothing but respect for coach Lutz and the Tigers. If Ironton wasn't good it wouldn't mean very much to beat them. Nobody ever knocks the your program from over here. Because refs deal with interpretation/opinion, (and you know everybody has one) you're gonna get some heated debate about some calls. I wouldn't take it personal.

Thanks for the comments you made about the Cats this year, it should be a great showdown between two teams that do it right.
Frogtownbuckeye Wrote:From everything I see, Kentucky folks are already making excuses about the officials a week in advance. Do you really think you're gonna need the excuses? I'm from Ironton and I have stated on here several times that if Ashland plays their game they can and will win. Don't cry about officiating before the game starts, it gives the impression that you have no confidence in your team. I have seen some tape of the Tomcats and I am very impressed with the entire team. Let them play their game and stop whining.

I meant nothing by it. Wasn't downing Irontons program at all. It's just how it is when you go over there. It's the same when Ohio teams come over here. I was just stating the obvious really.
Ram Fan04 Wrote:Will this be the first time Ashland and has made it two in a row against Ironton? I think it may be close. We all know how the officiating can be when a Kentucky team crosses that river.

Uh it's been a while but no not the first time.
Use to happen all the time back in the Day.
But yes it would be great to start whipping them again!
I've not heard much about Ohio football this year. I know Ironton usually has a powerhouse of a football team, is that the case this year?
this will be the 2nd of 4 out of 5 was my predictiion starting with last year. three moves have changed ashlands program 1. taking a chance with a freshman qb two years ago, 2. change in offensive styles middle way that same year and 3. their middle school feeder program.

It is time for you to head back to SEOP!
sports_report Wrote:this will be the 2nd of 4 out of 5 was my predictiion starting with last year. three moves have changed ashlands program 1. taking a chance with a freshman qb two years ago, 2. change in offensive styles middle way that same year and 3. their middle school feeder program.

This isn't a change in offense its the same one he ran from 03 to 06 but in 07 and the first part of 08 Ashland had Matt Thomas a natural running back who had never played qb and drew royalty neither of which had the ARM strength or accuracy to be a pass first team but Tyler baldridge Ian holbrook darrel Mahan and sam hunter were all more polished passers but its still the same offense
i said if the refs dont get invlovled ashland will win...but lets all forget about the refs and look at the teams for how they play and execute.......if ashland plays to theyre ability they can win no matter how the penalties are....the same to ironton...what it all comes down to is who is going to play the game the best
Lools to me like this one is gonna be a barn burner i think the refs will keep it close,thar being said gotta go with the cats 42-35
This should be one dandy of a football game! I feel that Coach Lutz will have the Tigers ready with revenge on their minds! It's no surprise what Ironton will do, full house backfield, and I formation and run, run, run. I think Ironton will be able to play ball control and will win this one 28-14.
http://www.southeasternohiopreps.com/for...3#p1735083

ha ha go look at the excuses for why the tigers lost last year what do u guys think we will hear after friday
Ashland is playing very good ball right now. But don't use the Russell / Ironton game to compare with. I think the Tigers just overlooked Russell that week some what. They have excellent coaches that are very disciplined with there players. On the other hand Ashland looks very good, with a few more years to come. If Ashland's D does not wear down from the pounding from Ironton's big line, I think they can pull this one off. Ironton will have trouble covering all the formations that Ashland will bring. But it is at the TANK ??????
Ashland - 32
Ironton - 21
pitchfork Wrote:Ashland is playing very good ball right now. But don't use the Russell / Ironton game to compare with. I think the Tigers just overlooked Russell that week some what. They have excellent coaches that are very disciplined with there players. On the other hand Ashland looks very good, with a few more years to come. If Ashland's D does not wear down from the pounding from Ironton's big line, I think they can pull this one off. Ironton will have trouble covering all the formations that Ashland will bring. But it is at the TANK ??????
Ashland - 32
Ironton - 21

That is the thing about this team, they are about 3 or 4 deep at every position everyone quality players and late in the 3rd an 4th quarters they are still bouncing around like the 1st quarter.
Tomcat Fan Ironton doesn't need any excuses, if they lose they just got beat by a better team. Remember up until last year the Tigers hadn't lost to the Tomcats since 1990. No excuses needed, if Ashland wins, they win!
Tigers88 Wrote:Tomcat Fan Ironton doesn't need any excuses, if they lose they just got beat by a better team. Remember up until last year the Tigers hadn't lost to the Tomcats since 1990. No excuses needed, if Ashland wins, they win!

Kudos to you
Pages: 1 2