Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: East Kentucky's 'Radio'
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
In the movie radio a young mentally challenged man is adopted by the football team at T.L Hannah high school in South Carolina. After overcoming adversity in the form of teasing and being made fun of he became a inspiration to the Yellow Jackets football team. It is IMO one of the best sports stories ever.

Bet you didn't know east kentucky had a better one.

Jaylin Strong (known as J.J. to his friends). Transferred to Paintsville High School when Mr. McClure got the job as principle. J.J was a "Blue Baby" Which means his umbilical cord was strangling him at birth, he survived this and was cared for at school by Mr. McClure. His dream had always been to be a waterboy for the football team, when he switched to Paintsville he figured he had his chance. Well he got much more, Coach Kinner promised the boy a spot on the varsity team (as it was his senior year), if he would come to practice and weightlifting. J.J never to my knowledge missed a practice and always worked hard to help his team get better. In Practice he was on the Scout O, And Scout D and always gave everything he had in him. He wore his #99 Jersey with pride and got to play in quite a few games last year. Even getting a tackle against fairview in the fourth quarter of his senior night. The crowd chanted J.J afterwords thus giving him something literally, beyond his wildest dreams. J.J is now graduated and is a waterboy for the tigers. To me that is what the game is all about.

Then I heard about what johnson Central's sports teams did for the 10 year old girl losing her battle with cancer, and I can say I am one proud Johnson Countian.
Go Tigers, And Eagles.
This is two great stories and thanks for sharing that. It is amazing how one coach and one team can make such a difference in someones life.
15thRegionSlamaBamma Wrote:This is two great stories and thanks for sharing that. It is amazing how one coach and one team can make such a difference in someones life.

It is what the game is all about. Wins and losses only matter so much.
PaintsvilleTigerfan Wrote:It is what the game is all about. Wins and losses only matter so much.

agreed and we as fans get to caught up in wins and losses. It is stories such as this one that puts everything back into perspective.
I have chillbumps lol
Commodore_Colonel Wrote:I have chillbumps lol

Amen brother.
From what I can understand,J.J. spoke to his team and classmates following the Harlan game last season. In that speech he expressed his deepest appreciation for being allowed to be a part of something. That may very well be the high point of his young life. We all know the story of Radio but I doubt if we can even begin to understand J.J's story.
mr.charlie hustle Wrote:From what I can understand,J.J. spoke to his team and classmates following the Harlan game last season. In that speech he expressed his deepest appreciation for being allowed to be a part of something. That may very well be the high point of his young life. We all know the story of Radio but I doubt if we can even begin to understand J.J's story.

From what his teammates told me there was not a dry eye in the locker room.
Awesome!!! An amazing story, in a time when so many things in the world are negative..it's great to see that we have a lot of positives and things to be proud of in our "own backyard."
IRISH4 Wrote:Awesome!!! An amazing story, in a time when so many things in the world are negative..it's great to see that we have a lot of positives and things to be proud of in our "own backyard."

Exactly. and if you don't mind can you or another of the Eagle faithful write up what all was done for the little girl with cancer and post it on this thread.
:Cheerlead That is an exellent story Tigerfan,Your right things like this are what make HS Football THE greatest sport out there.I agree we need to fous on these type of things and stop all the petty argueing that goes on sometimes! Thanks for brightning my day!!!:thanks:
Ricky Bobby Wrote::Cheerlead That is an exellent story Tigerfan,Your right things like this are what make HS Football THE greatest sport out there.I agree we need to fous on these type of things and stop all the petty argueing that goes on sometimes! Thanks for brightning my day!!!:thanks:

Anytime Buddy.