Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: If You Could Pick Any One Kentucky High School Basketball Player . . . .
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
If you could pick any player in the history of Kentucky High School basketball to build your team around--who would it be?

I have 2:

King Kelly Coleman (for obvious reasons)
Richie Farmer (the best that I have seen in my life time. Even at 6' he made everyone around him better. And I can not remember seeing anyone ever stopping him).

Who would you pick--AND WHY?
The King...he could score at will and thats what i like to see. Also would be a fun guy to be around.
king kc, i met the man, he has a wealth of knowledge about the game and would be a really solid player to build a team around
JR VanHoose!
Wes Unseld
the most dominate big man this state has ever produced to date.
Was a rebounding machine played defense and could score.
And to this day the best outlet pass I have ever seen
Wes Unseld was a monster in high school. Still I think if a team needs a player to build around it would be The KING. He was so dominating during the 50's and it was a great time for high school basketball in the state of Kentucky. J.R. and Richie were also excellent players and represented basketball with class.
The King...Wes Unseld...Richie Farmer
"Doc Holliday" Wrote:Wes Unseld
the most dominate big man this state has ever produced to date.
Was a rebounding machine played defense and could score.
And to this day the best outlet pass I have ever seen

I'll go with big Wes Unseld, too.

My Top 5 would be Unseld, King Kelly Coleman, Richie Farmer, Allan Houston, & J.R. VanHoose.
Unseld would be my key
but if we were going to put a team of the best that I have seen
I feel that guard play is important so I would have Rex Chapman and Farmer
The King of course
still thinking about who my 5th would be
All you people who pick King Kelly I am wondering if you ever really saw him or if you are going on reputation. There is no way of comparing a player you watched with your own eyes to the reputation of players past. Although I believe King Kelly is the greatest KY High School Player Ever I would go with JR Vanhoose.
JR was the most dominant player I have ever seen in High School. If he played well P'ville won. (Just ask Danny Haney and Lexington Catholic)
Self admittingly--I am going off reputation with Coleman.

No offense to JR--but what qualities does he have that would be suited to build a team around (not because I doubt him--I didn't get a chance to see him play).
As far as what i have seen and their is video of coleman. Lofton, Farmer, and Houston but Unseld was and is the man. Im not dissing JR he was good but if I could have any player it would be Wes.
The King!!
does o.j. mayo still play in ky
The King was great but in todays game could not play, I know that will make people mad but have seen him play and nobody in that era could really play he was just better then the rest of them. Wes unseld has to be one and For my own pick I would want Rex chapmen over some of the others mention. High Scholl in Ky he was hard to beat.
"HappyGilmore" Wrote:I'll go with big Wes Unseld, too.

My Top 5 would be Unseld, King Kelly Coleman, Richie Farmer, Allan Houston, & J.R. VanHoose.
Throw John Pelphrey in there and Dave Cowens.