Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Highlands 50 Beechwood 24
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Final.
I'm speechless
whackem'n'stackem Wrote:I'm speechless

Give me details??? Was Beechwood better than expected?
Stardust Wrote:Give me details??? Was Beechwood better than expected?

This game was a laugher! It was almost a running clock in the first quarter and then the second teamers came in. Highlands did bring the first string back in for a little bit after Beechwood proved their 1st string was better than Highlands 2nd and 3rd string.
sstack Wrote:This game was a laugher! It was almost a running clock in the first quarter and then the second teamers came in. Highlands did bring the first string back in for a little bit after Beechwood proved their 1st string was better than Highlands 2nd and 3rd string.

Gotcha. So Dale did take it easy on his friend Noel?
Stardust Wrote:Gotcha. So Dale did take it easy on his friend Noel?

Yes, Highlands was scoring at will before calling off the dogs.
sstack Wrote:Yes, Highlands was scoring at will before calling off the dogs.

Did Dale change gameplan with the 2's and 3's.
congrats to highlands
Stardust Wrote:Did Dale change gameplan with the 2's and 3's.

Passing game drops way off with two's in.
I was never a fan of this matchup, and after last night I'm even less of one. That was ugly from the start, with the starters pulled early, then brought back late when Beechwood came alive against the younger kids. Seems to me that situations like that would be when key people would get hurt, but it was pretty obvious from the start that it was a game that could get badly out of hand. Highlands dominated the first quarter, and it easily could have been 50-0 or worse by halftime.
I think Dale needs to get McCoy some time with the first team offense at some point this season, but that's strictly from a fan's standpoint.:eyeroll:
From Cincinnati.com: “Patrick just has great pocket presence and the way their offensive line played he could have stood back and smoked cigarettes and eaten hamburgers,” said Beechwood coach Noel Rash.

That's my kind of training table.:Clap::rockon:
Nice win for the Bluebirds.
Beechwood 0 10 14 0 24
Highlands 29 14 0 7 50
Scoring summary:
H--Gall 10 pass from Towles (Towles run); H--Gold 59 pass from Towles (Weinel kick); H--Bishop recovered fumbled punt in end zone (Weinel kick); H--Seidl 25 fumble return (Weinel kick); H--McGurn 10 pass from Towles (Weinel kick); B--M.Nussbaum 4 run (J.Nussbaum kick); H--Gall 69 pass from Towles (Weinel kick); B--J.Nussbaum 30 field goal; B--Erdman 22 pass from Colosemo (J.Nussbaum kick); B--M.Nussbaum 6 run (J.Nussbaum kick); H--Gall 56 pass from Towles (Weinel kick).
Records: Highlands 3-0, Beechwood 0-2.
More details: Highlands 50, Beechwood 24: Junior quarterback Patrick Towles passed for 288 yards and five touchdowns — three to senior receiver Brian Gall — and host Highlands (3-0) stormed to its 44th consecutive win against Kentucky opponents.
Highlands̢۪ defense held Beechwood, a Class 1A state semifinalist a year ago, to minus-20 yards of offense in the first quarter and returned two fumbles for touchdowns in building a 36-0 lead. Beechwood̢۪s Michael Colosimo was sacked six times in the first half.
Gall caught seven passes for 184 yards.

Read more: http://www.kentucky.com/2010/08/17/13961...z0yZJ56NvY
http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll...309030124/

While last Friday’s game against Ryle was admittedly a struggle for Highlands junnior quarterback Patrick Towles this Friday’s game against Beechwood was just that easy for him.

Towles, who threw three interceptions in the Bluebirds’ 29-14 win over Ryle, threw five touchdown passes, four in the first half, in leading his team to a 50-24 win over Beechwood in David Cecil Memorial Stadium. The win extends Highlands’ state-best winning streak to 31 straight games.

• Photos: Bluebirds 50, Tigers 24

Towles threw four of his touchdown passes in the first half when Highlands (3-0) built leads of 36-0 and 43-7 before settling for a 43-10 halftime advantage.

“I got a little antsy last week when receivers got open,” said Towles, who finished 11 of 19 passing for 287 yards. “This week my line was great and I was just more focused on where I needed to put the ball. I had a bitter taste in my mouth from last week so I really wanted to play a lot better. The receivers did a great job of getting separation and made my job easy.”

Highlands coach Dale Mueller said Towles had a great week of practice and wasn’t surprised that he bounced back.

“He’s very coachable and he looked at a lot of film of Beechwood and knew exactly what reads he needed to make,” said Mueller. “He was focused and just really great.”

Towles came out hot, hitting 4 of 6 passes for 53 yards on Highlands’ first drive of the night that resulted in him passing 10 yards to senior wide receiver Brian Gall for the touchdown. Towles and Highlands did catch a break on the drive when an interception was wiped by a pass interference penalty.

Two plays into the Bluebirds next drive he passed 59 yards to senior wide receiver Daniel Gold for a touchdown. Gold finished with three receptions for 93 yards in the game.

Beechwood (0-2) then began to self-destruct and Highlands added a special teams touchdown and a defensive touchdown in the span of a minute to up the lead to 29-0 with still 2:22 left in the first quarter.

Towles almost added a 41-yard touchdown pass to Gold on the final play of the first quarter, but Gold dropped the ball on the way to the end zone at the Beechwood 10 before recovering it himself.

On the first play of the second quarter, Towles passed 10 yards to junior running back Ian McGurn to make it 36-0.

Beechwood, which had just one first-quarter first down, put together a nice drive to cut the lead to 36-7, but it took Highlands just three plays to answer with Towles passing 69 yards to Gall for the touchdown with 6:38 left in the half. Towles finished the first half 10 of 14 for 231 yards.

“We love to throw the deep ball and Patrick really throws it well,” said Mueller.
Mueller pulled his starters after that and Beechwood closed to within 43-24 with 1:24 left in the third quarter forcing Mueller to put the starters back in the game.

Towles responed by firing 56 yards to Gall for a touchdown on Highlands’ first play of the fourth quarter. Gall finished with seven receptions for 184 yards.

“Patrick just has great pocket presence and the way their offensive line played he could have stood back and smoked cigarettes and eaten hamburgers,” said Beechwood coach Noel Rash.

Beechwood senior quarterback Michael Colosimo, who threw for just 54 yards in Beechwood’s 35-21 season-opening loss to Dixie last week, finished 15 of 32 for 234 yards against Highlands and helped lead the Tigers’ comeback. Junior Cameron Vocke went over 100 yards rushing the second straight game, carrying 20 times for 104 yards.

“There are only a handful of teams in the state that would have kept fighting the way our kids did after that start,” said Rash. “I don’t think this will hurt out confidence. Playing great teams like this will eventually make us better and we’ll be fine.”
Can you dig it? Wrote:I was never a fan of this matchup, and after last night I'm even less of one. That was ugly from the start, with the starters pulled early, then brought back late when Beechwood came alive against the younger kids. Seems to me that situations like that would be when key people would get hurt, but it was pretty obvious from the start that it was a game that could get badly out of hand. Highlands dominated the first quarter, and it easily could have been 50-0 or worse by halftime.
I think Dale needs to get McCoy some time with the first team offense at some point this season, but that's strictly from a fan's standpoint.:eyeroll:

Yes, he should get Mccoy some PT with the 1st team against Scott.
whackem'n'stackem Wrote:Yes, he should get Mccoy some PT with the 1st team against Scott.
Haven't seen McCoy this year. How much potential does he have?
Reminds me of Boyle's QB that waxed the Birds way back when.....He'll be special to watch the next couple years.
why cant highlands play x or trinty or bell or boyle stop playing beechwood step up to the big teams
rebel 4 life Wrote:why cant highlands play x or trinty or bell or boyle stop playing beechwood step up to the big teams

Required district games, multi year scheduling contracts, and I'm sure lot's more is what I'm led to believe.....
rebel 4 life Wrote:why cant highlands play x or trinty or bell or boyle stop playing beechwood step up to the big teams

I guess nationally ranked cincy st x ryle covington catholic and Johnson central aren't big enough they've played anyone anytime anywhere and have won sorry but boyle county would be no different outcome for the bluebird teams of the past few years

With the exception of, I'm assuming you are talking about Louisville St. X, the last time Highlands has played all those teams Highlands won.