Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Kentucky forward now in top 15
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Rockcastle County standout forward Sara Hammond, considered the top candidate to win Miss Basketball honors next season, has jumped in the latest national rankings.

The 6-foot-2 Hammond rose from No. 27 all the way to No. 12 after a sensational spring and summer on the AAU circuit with the Kentucky Premier team.

Hammond will make official visits to Louisville and Connecticut and is also considering Vanderbilt and Western Kentucky. She has offers from all four schools.

Also ranked in the new listing was Calloway County's Averee Fields at No. 80. Kentucky commitment Bria Goss is ranked No. 17 and Azia Bishop at No. 34.

http://jodydemling.courier-journal.com/2...op-15.html
WOW!!! I am glad to see this for one good kid. I can't wait to get the season started.
she just keeps getting better all the time
Sarah's interest in WKU is a headscratcher to me. With offers from much more promising D1 schools why the interest in a program that has floundered for several years?:HitWall:
I wonder if UK has come a-calling yet?? She sounds like a really good player to let get away from the up and coming UK Hoops squad. Go after he Matthew!!
123Hoopz Wrote:Sarah's interest in WKU is a headscratcher to me. With offers from much more promising D1 schools why the interest in a program that has floundered for several years?:HitWall:

Scotty doesn't know Wrote:I wonder if UK has come a-calling yet?? She sounds like a really good player to let get away from the up and coming UK Hoops squad. Go after he Matthew!!

Sara's whole family has attended WKU. UK has not offered yet.
Scotty doesn't know Wrote:I wonder if UK has come a-calling yet?? She sounds like a really good player to let get away from the up and coming UK Hoops squad. Go after he Matthew!!

From what I've heard, UK probably won't be offering.
By Mitchell not offering a scholarship to Sara tells me alot about him and the wildcats. There is finally a kid from Kentucky rated that high and you don't go after her? What is wrong with that picture???
Quote:Sarah's interest in WKU is a headscratcher to me. With offers from much more promising D1 schools why the interest in a program that has floundered for several years?

I would venture to guess she is wanting to step in and play. I remember when Ty Profitt went to Notre Dame and didnt play, he transferred to get playing time. I agree it is an honor to have UConn offer you a scholarship, but weigh the options before being caught up in all the hoopla. She will succeed wherever she lands!
rockblue Wrote:By Mitchell not offering a scholarship to Sara tells me alot about him and the wildcats. There is finally a kid from Kentucky rated that high and you don't go after her? What is wrong with that picture???

Most players and coaches understand there's no reason to take it personally if you don't get an offer from a school. A lot of things factor into a scholarship offer(ie., playing style, current and committed players, etc). Not every player fits into every system.
If you have ever seen Sara play, you know she would fit into Mitchell's system or anyone else that runs an up-tempo offense. The fact of the matter is, when there is a player of her caliber and athleticism possibly available you should at least offer her a scholarship in hopes of landing them. She is rated higher than anyone else he has coming in I'm sure. Plus she can play the 2,3,4,5 positions.
rockblue Wrote:If you have ever seen Sara play, you know she would fit into Mitchell's system or anyone else that runs an up-tempo offense. The fact of the matter is, when there is a player of her caliber and athleticism possibly available you should at least offer her a scholarship in hopes of landing them. She is rated higher than anyone else he has coming in I'm sure. Plus she can play the 2,3,4,5 positions.

I think that is one of the BIG reasons that Coach Geno is offering her. Has she made anything official yet?
lwc Wrote:I think that is one of the BIG reasons that Coach Geno is offering her. Has she made anything official yet?

i think sept 11 she is visiting UCONN before Coach Geno leaves to coach the US team
I think after she visits UCONN, Louisville will be making an in-home visit followed by an in-home visit from UCONN.
She is a great player, but I'm not sure she could play the 2 or the 5 at the UCONN level. Don't know if she can score, handle or defend well enough on the perimeter to be a 2 guard. Same for the 5, but down low. I think she would be a heckuva 3 or 4 for anybody. Just my opinion, but I could be wrong.
Basketball Guru Wrote:She is a great player, but I'm not sure she could play the 2 or the 5 at the UCONN level. Don't know if she can score, handle or defend well enough on the perimeter to be a 2 guard. Same for the 5, but down low. I think she would be a heckuva 3 or 4 for anybody. Just my opinion, but I could be wrong.

I agree with you that she is probably too small (body, not height) to play the 5 come NCAA tournament time.

UCONN usually always has a great 2 that turns into a WNBA All-Star, but I really could see her playing the 4-spot and being the started her Sophomore year. I don't think she would play right away for UCONN.

If she went to WKU or UL, she could step in and play right away.
All I can say is that she'll have some rings on them fingers.
WALL2WALL Wrote:All I can say is that she'll have some rings on them fingers.

:Thumbs: Hopefully she gets one this season Confusedhh: :biggrin:
Thats what I'm talking about BR, a ring this year would really be a spark going into college for any of these girls!!!
Sara arrived in Connecticut tonight. i think she will make her choice soon. it looks like a two horse race between Louisville and UCONN. I think she will pick Louisville
ROCKSOLID69 Wrote:Sara arrived in Connecticut tonight. i think she will make her choice soon. it looks like a two horse race between Louisville and UCONN. I think she will pick Louisville

Keep us posted on how the visit went!
Rumor has it that Coach Waltz from Louisville will at the Rock today and Uconn has some coaches coming in tomorrow.