Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Somerset 29 Southwestern 7
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Final

Congrats Jumpers!
congrats to the Jumpers
Congrats to Somerset and the 2-0 start
Somerset seems like the real deal so far this season! Good win Jumpers!
congrats to somerset
Congrats Somerset.
The final score was actually somerset 23 southwestern 7 but congrats to somerset.
Congrats to Somerset in this heated rivalry game
Congrats to the Jumpers on another win. Is Southwest just going backwards each year since the Renfro seasons or what?
Southwestern has played 2 state championship contenders early in the year this will help them come October keep your heads up boys it will get better. Just keep practicing hard and it will come
Ugly win for the Jumpers. Turned it over twice inside the 10 and four times overall. Several mental errors on defense early. Still some bone-headed/undisciplined penalties.

Don't get me wrong. They are a talented group, but they'll need to improve over the next 8-10 weeks if they're gonna be a legitimate threat to win AT Sheldon Clark, Belfry, Mason or Breathitt.

Not sure that district of theirs will enable them to improve that much.
Gitback Coach Wrote:Ugly win for the Jumpers. Turned it over twice inside the 10 and four times overall. Several mental errors on defense early. Still some bone-headed/undisciplined penalties.

Don't get me wrong. They are a talented group, but they'll need to improve over the next 8-10 weeks if they're gonna be a legitimate threat to win AT Sheldon Clark, Belfry, Mason or Breathitt.

Not sure that district of theirs will enable them to improve that much.

If you don't think that Somerset it is a legitimate threat to win at any of places you are fooling yourself. What have any of those other teams done to make you think they are that much better than the Briar Jumpers? Breathitt County has the best win of the group over Sheldon Clark, but the Bobcats struggled with a 26 man Campbellsville squad as well. Don't get me wrong, its always tough to win on the road, especially in the playoffs but the Jumpers are as capable of making to Bowling Green as anyone in the east.

As far as the defense, except for the long run by Turpin and the pass to Williams Somerset held the Warriors under 100 yards total offense the rest of the night. Even with the 2 big plays Southwestern only managed 178 yards on the night. And this was against a team that Somerset was not supposed to be able to match up against physically. There is lots of room to improve but it seems that Somerset is getting better every week. Mental errors can be fixed, physical improvement is much harder to accomplish.
Jumpers D looked really good last night, after the first play of the game. Jumpers only allowed 20 yards in the second half. SW seemed to wear down and size of their line, never worked to their advantage.

Offense played well enought that they should have scored at least 37 points (2 turnovers inside the 10) not counting kneeling and kill clock at the end of the game in the endzone again.

Still a lot of teachable moments in this game to help coaches keep players attention.
I agree Norm, Somerset had a rough game last night but IMO just from the past two weeks they are still the team to beat in 3A in the East. I mean they have four turnovers against a crosstown rival with 3 or 4 times the enrollment that Somerset has, and they still win by a couple of touchdowns. I think what you probably should have said is Breathitt, SC, Belfry, and Mason better improve a lot over the next 8-10 weeks if they are going to be a legitimate threat to win when Somerset comes to town.

About the game, SW had the lead on Somerset 7-6 going into the half and really controlled the ball pretty well against the Jumpers. That said, I would have loved to have been a fly on the wall in Somerset's locker room at half time because they came out of the half ready to play and just dominated the Warriors on defense for the remainder of the game. Somerset's offense didn't look as solid as it did last season which is understandable with the turnover on the offensive line. They will hopefully continue to improve as the season goes on.

BTW, when did refs start walking off off-setting penalties? Not trying to rip on them or anything they called the game fairly and accurately, but geez man those guys have got to get things moving. They stopped play for like 15 minutes one time to walk an off-setting penalty.
RoShamBo Wrote:I agree Norm, Somerset had a rough game last night but IMO just from the past two weeks they are still the team to beat in 3A in the East. I mean they have four turnovers against a crosstown rival with 3 or 4 times the enrollment that Somerset has, and they still win by a couple of touchdowns. I think what you probably should have said is Breathitt, SC, Belfry, and Mason better improve a lot over the next 8-10 weeks if they are going to be a legitimate threat to win when Somerset comes to town.

About the game, SW had the lead on Somerset 7-6 going into the half and really controlled the ball pretty well against the Jumpers. That said, I would have loved to have been a fly on the wall in Somerset's locker room at half time because they came out of the half ready to play and just dominated the Warriors on defense for the remainder of the game. Somerset's offense didn't look as solid as it did last season which is understandable with the turnover on the offensive line. They will hopefully continue to improve as the season goes on.

BTW, when did refs start walking off off-setting penalties? Not trying to rip on them or anything they called the game fairly and accurately, but geez man those guys have got to get things moving. They stopped play for like 15 minutes one time to walk an off-setting penalty.

I was on the sideline with the chain crew and I asked one of the officials about that during a break. It wasn't offsetting penalties exactly. One was a live ball foul and one was a dead ball foul so the live ball foul had to be marked off from the spot of the foul and the dead ball foul from the end of the play. All in all it amounted to about a 1-2 yard difference. Definately not worth that long of a discussion.
RoShamBo Wrote:I think what you probably should have said is Breathitt, SC, Belfry, and Mason better improve a lot over the next 8-10 weeks if they are going to be a legitimate threat to win when Somerset comes to town.

If the SHS players adopt the above attitude, I can guarantee you that they have ZERO chance of returning to Bowling Green for the finals. As the old saying goes, when you travel east of I-75 to play, to win by 7, you have to outscore your opponent by three touchdowns.

Just my opinion, but if the Jumpers get too happy/impressed with their first two mediocre performances . . . particularly in that weak district of theirs . . . by the time they realize the error of their ways, it will be too late.

Just sayin'.
Gitback Coach Wrote:If the SHS players adopt the above attitude, I can guarantee you that they have ZERO chance of returning to Bowling Green for the finals. As the old saying goes, when you travel east of I-75 to play, to win by 7, you have to outscore your opponent by three touchdowns.

Just my opinion, but if the Jumpers get too happy/impressed with their first two mediocre performances . . . particularly in that weak district of theirs . . . by the time they realize the error of their ways, it will be too late.

Just sayin'.

I can promise you that is not the attitude of anyone around the team. But they have earned more respect than you seem to want to give them.
smashmouth Wrote:Congrats to the Jumpers on another win. Is Southwest just going backwards each year since the Renfro seasons or what?

Actually the 2006 season was one of the best for the SW program (other being 1999 season). It, 2006 was after Renfro, so the answer is, what.
Remembering the post from the playoffs last year NO ONE east of I-75 had any respect for Somerset last year. It's not about earning respect from a bunch of "home team fans", it's about getting better each week and being ready when the playoffs start.

As far as being 21 points better to win by 7 east of I-75, is that because of the inspired play by those teams at home or other "outside" factors that make it tough on out of region teams.
Gitback Coach Wrote:If the SHS players adopt the above attitude, I can guarantee you that they have ZERO chance of returning to Bowling Green for the finals. As the old saying goes, when you travel east of I-75 to play, to win by 7, you have to outscore your opponent by three touchdowns.

Just sayin'.

I don't play football for Somerset or anywhere else. I am not in high school. Trust me if I know anything about how Coach Lucas prepares his team, and I am pretty certain I do, those kids could care less about what is said on these boards or what they are doing at Belfry or Breathitt or SC. Right now I'd say they are thinking about mistakes last Friday, practice on Monday, and Russell Co. on Friday. Just because they turned the ball over a few times in a win doesn't mean they should spend the next three months worrying about how they are going to beat SC, Belfry, or Breathitt.