Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Bellevue 35 Newport 34
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Final
congrats to Bellevue
Way to go Tigers!!!!
This is a SHOCKER! With what Bellevue lost, no way did I expect this
We survived the worst we could possibly play," said Shearer, who was presented with the game ball by his players. "We gave them three touchdowns in the first half, and I told the guys at halftime to go out there in the second half and get them back."

• Enquirer high school sports blog
• Follow Ryan Ernst on Twitter
• Check us out on Facebook
• More prep coverage

Bellevue did just that.

The Tigers (1-1) rallied from a 20-8 first-quarter deficit against the big-play Wildcats (0-1) with some big plays of their own while scoring three consecutive second-half touchdowns bridging the third and fourth quarters.

D.J. Slater’s 16-yard scoring run with 10:55 to play gave the Tigers a 27-26 lead. Slater’s TD came two plays after Bellevue’s Sean Schweisinger recovered a punt that was kicked into the back of a Newport player.

Slater scored again four minutes later on a 39-yard run to make it 33-26.

Unofficially, Slater rushed for 198 yards on 23 carries.

"I told the coach to ride me to victory," Slater said.

The big play of the game for Bellevue came right after Slater’s fourth touchdown. That’s when Dylan Huff exchanged his goat horns for a hero’s welcome along the Bellevue sideline after catching a pass from quarterback Jacob Sparks for a two-point conversion that gave the Tigers a 35-26 lead.

Huff’s catch was the difference because Newport scored on its next series on a 12-yard keeper by quarterback Demitri Brown. Brown’s run for two points with 5:00 to play set the final score.

But Newport did not get the ball back as David Verkamp and Sparks ran for critical first downs on Bellevue’s ensuing possession. Sparks’ 9-yard carry up the middle on fourth-and-1 from the Newport 33 with 2:02 remaining sealed the win for the Tigers.

"After seven years in coaching, this is an unbelievable feeling," said Shearer, who had buckets of water dumped on him by his players. "This is the best cold water I’ve had on me in my life."

Early on, the Tigers were in hot water because they could not hold onto the football.

Newport took advantage of three Bellevue lost fumbles, one by Slater and two by Huff, to build a 26-15 first-half lead.

"I had to shove that off my shoulders," Huff said of his fumbles.

Said Shearer: "I told Dylan to forget about that because we were going to use him in the fourth quarter when D.J. got tired."

The Wildcats received two touchdown passes from Brown and a pair of receiving scores from two members of the school’s record-setting 400-meter relay squad for the track and field team.

Quin McDay hauled in a 29-yard pass from Brown for the game’s first touchdown. Rob Washington’s 47-yard catch-and-run for a score gave Newport an 11-point lead at the break. Brown was credited with 160 passing yards and 109 yards rushing in the game.

Newport’s Robert Engram helped make it 14-0 when he came up with the football on a Bellevue running play and squirted out of a pile and scampered 51 yards for a score.

When Slater answered Engram’s touchdown with a 59-yard scoring bolt on the next play following a Newport onside kick, it was the game’s third TD in 64 seconds.

"We’re a week behind (Bellevue) because they already played a game, so it’s a tough loss," Newport coach Nick Rice said. "We need to get better and learn from it."

Newport 20 6 0 8 -34
Bellevue 8 7 6 14 -35

N-McDay 29 pass from Brown (Franco kick)
N-Engram 51 fumble return (Fraqnco kick)
B-Slater 59 run (Slater run)
N-Brown 25 run (pass failed)
B-Slater 4 run (Dill kick)
N-Washington 47 pass from Brown (pass failed)
B-Huff 2 run (run failed)
B-Slater 16 run (run failed)
B-Slater 39 run (Huff pass from Sparks)
N-Brown 12 run (Brown run)
Records: Newport 0-1, Bellevue 1-1.
http://nky.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll/...308270034/
Congrats to Bellevue.