Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Reds hit by injury bug
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Well, I'm sure all of us Reds fans are very happy to have gotten out of that House of Horrors, otherwise known as the San Francisco Giants' AT&T Park. Despite being outscored 38-19 in the three-game series and blowing a 9-run lead in the final game, Cincy managed to salvage the win to go 6-3 on the road trip. I'm sure the extra-inning win on Wednesday made for a much better flight home.

But there was a dark cloud hovering over the team as they enjoyed an off-day prior to beginning a series with the Cubs. The Reds have suffered several injuries over the last few days, of varying severity. A recap:

* Jim Edmonds (strained oblique) = placed on the DL, the team has hinted that his season may be over
* Laynce Nix (sprained ankle) = Laynce initially said he was ok, then looked terrible trying to run out a grounder while pinch-hitting Wednesday; may still end up on the DL
* Brandon Phillips (injured wrist) = was hit by a pitch on Wednesday; although the team had feared it might be broken, x-rays yesterday were reportedly negative; his availability for the weekend is still in question

Other injury issues:

* Orlando Cabrera (strained oblique) = has been on the DL for 3 weeks already; nagging pain has prevented him from being able to come back so far
* Mike Leake (?) = although no one on the team has said anything about the rookie, I fear that he may be suffering from a "dead arm", as this is his first year in pro ball and he has never pitched this many innings before; many have speculated that he could be shelved for the rest of the year

It will be interesting to see what happens with all of these injury issues oover the next few days. Unless Brandon Phillips is out for an extended period of time, none of the injuries should affect the starting lineup. Depth may be a different story, at least until the September 1st callups.

Go Reds!