Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Strength or speed?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
If you had to choose a center for your team and could pick either strength at the post or speed which would you choose? Why?
Good post players have either speed or strenght. Great post players have both...
If it was one or the other, I'd pick strength. For example, Shaquille O'Neal.
speed, a center can be strong but against good teams there is a lot of fast pace passes down low to get the ball in the basket, now you don't want a slow moving tough guy in that situation you want a quick center that can keep after the ball and get some defense on the opposing team and who is quick to block shots, now most would think what if i big guy brings the ball down low, well thats when you need a tougher player a power forward that can keep the big guys from getting down low and scoring every time, id pick speed over strength
Strength for a center
"BasketBallonlyfan" Wrote:Good post players have either speed or strenght. Great post players have both...
good point
Strength
Height and coordination
"jayblackcat2006" Wrote:If it was one or the other, I'd pick strength. For example, Shaquille O'Neal.

AMEN. The best post player in the history of the NBA.
Id probably pick strength but speed it very important for a press
i would have to say strength someone like shaq is unstoppable
have to say strength to battle there way to the goal.
Bringing up Shaq was a very good example
strength
yao makes shaq look like a 5yr old most the time I watch them play against each other.. but anyways strength is very important but speed can pull off those handy up-and-under or deadly drop step moves.
Strength, without a doubt. I t is easier for the stronger of the two to get into position. If they are a little slow they can always move them out of the way
I would take speed. They might be stronger but if you are quick enough. you can beat them down the court and score easy buckets.
"bballjunky" Wrote:I would take speed. They might be stronger but if you are quick enough. you can beat them down the court and score easy buckets.

I would agree if the question was about the guards but the question asked for the center position
"doubleOT" Wrote:yao makes shaq look like a 5yr old most the time I watch them play against each other.. but anyways strength is very important but speed can pull off those handy up-and-under or deadly drop step moves.
LOLOLOL I hope you were being sarcastic. I think since Yao has came into the league they have played maybe 9 times (excluding the All-Star game) and Shaq has averaged 24 points and 13 boards to Yao's 17 and 8. I'd love to have a 5-year-old like that.
strength.......imagine ol Alleyne with some strength
Strength
"bballjunky" Wrote:I would take speed. They might be stronger but if you are quick enough. you can beat them down the court and score easy buckets.
It is the guards job to get down the court and stop the easy score. Not the centers. If a team of weak but quick players played a really physical team under the goal, the physical team would win pretty much hands down. Strenght is importiant under the goal.
i agree basketball is not a sport fpr someone weak good post:wieghts:
i am a fan of speed (but im a runner) strength does not matter if you are not fast on you feet and if you dont have a good reaction time strength does not really help you

:wieghts: