Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: USA 86 Spain 85
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
http://thebiglead.com/index.php/2010/08/...ant-stars/

Who watched the game? What do you all think of Team USA from what you've seen so far?
I only saw the highlights on Sportscenter. It's amazing how USA is only clinging to the edge in Basketball at the world stage. The rest of the world has caught up.
Stardust Wrote:I only saw the highlights on Sportscenter. It's amazing how USA is only clinging to the edge in Basketball at the world stage. The rest of the world has caught up.

sad..really sad
Stardust Wrote:I only saw the highlights on Sportscenter. It's amazing how USA is only clinging to the edge in Basketball at the world stage. The rest of the world has caught up.
Did you watch the Olympics? We won every game by like 40. When we play our best against their best (which is what they use in the World Championships) we win by large.
Yeah, we also don't have Lebron James, Kobe Bryant, DWade or Dwight Howard on this years team, either. We have great talent, and Spain is a good team, don't forget that. I don't think we'll have a problem winning the championship.

Also, Rondo didn't play in this game.

I think it's sad that the rest of the world is barely beating our all-NBA 3rd and 4th team lol
zaga_fan Wrote:I think it's sad that the rest of the world is barely beating our all-NBA 3rd and 4th team lol

Umm, it was not that long ago that our college athletes were destroying other countries professionals:popcorn:
vundy33 Wrote:Yeah, we also don't have Lebron James, Kobe Bryant, DWade or Dwight Howard on this years team, either. We have great talent, and Spain is a good team, don't forget that. I don't think we'll have a problem winning the championship.

Also, Rondo didn't play in this game.

Amun-Ra Wrote:Did you watch the Olympics? We won every game by like 40. When we play our best against their best (which is what they use in the World Championships) we win by large.

First off, as I said in my previous post, we used to destroy these teams with our college kids. So now we are happy that we have to have Lebron, Kobe and Howard in order to beat these teams by less than 40 in the 2008 Olympics:

Argentina - 20
Spain - 11
Russia - 15

In the Olympics, we lead by less than 10 points at halftime in 6 games, and that is with this generation of the "Dream Team". Yes, the rest of the world has caught up to us when our 3rd or 4th team NBA players are taking games down to the wire. We have always played professionals from other countries and didn't have trouble with them until they started to catch up. That's why we adopted the orginal Dream Team in the first place. If we were sending our college players today, we LOSE!
^ so we should play our college kids against there professional players? Just so its fair?
Argentina is no push over. Manu Ginobli - "nuff said".
Stardust Wrote:Umm, it was not that long ago that our college athletes were destroying other countries professionals:popcorn:

I know what you mean...
but now we have so many overseas players that play on NBA teams...
it kind of evens the playing field a little bit since they are constantly playing against that level of competition.

If the all-NBA 1st and 2nd team was playing it wouldn't be a competition.
Wildcatk23 Wrote:^ so we should play our college kids against there professional players? Just so its fair?

Hunh? What or where do you even get that? Did you not read my post to say that the rest of the World has caught up to USA Basketball! You made a post without looking at the context nor even understanding what the posts were about!
Ballers Wrote:Argentina is no push over. Manu Ginobli - "nuff said".

zaga_fan Wrote:I know what you mean...
it kind of evens the playing field a little bit since they are constantly playing against that level of competition.

That's my whole point, yes, USA is still #1 in Basketball, but the rest of the World is catching up. Just like Baseball, we send our Major Leaguers to the Olympics to only come up short. To say we dominate is not accurate any longer. Are we better? Yes! Do we dominate like we are used to to? No!

As for the comment about it wouldn't be a competition, like I said in my earlier post, 6 games we lead by less than 10 points at halftime. That equals competition, just not depth by these other countries. They can stick with the USA, they just don't have the numbers that we have. Will they? It's naive to think not.
Stardust Wrote:Hunh? What or where do you even get that? Did you not read my post to say that the rest of the World has caught up to USA Basketball! You made a post without looking at the context nor even understanding what the posts were about!

Once Again, Was referring to your post about the college playerS. and i was saying that we should send our college players, I was disagreeing with you lol. It would be interesting IMO.
Wildcatk23 Wrote:Once Again, Was referring to your post about the college playerS. and i was saying that we should send our college players, I was disagreeing with you lol. It would be interesting IMO.

It would be embarrasing now, don't you think? We can't compete with our college players any longer. Teams like Spain and Argentina would embarass our college teams.
Stardust Wrote:It would be embarrasing now, don't you think? We can't compete with our college players any longer. Teams like Spain and Argentina would embarass our college teams.

It Would be Interesting To Watch, No Doubt,
Wildcatk23 Wrote:It Would be Interesting To Watch, No Doubt,

Do our college players play any International tournaments anymore? Is the Pan Am games even still around?
Stardust Wrote:It would be embarrasing now, don't you think? We can't compete with our college players any longer. Teams like Spain and Argentina would embarass our college teams.
That's because they don't play with college players overseas. They all use pro players. Players go pro in high school there. They play club ball. No high school or college. So yes, I would say a team of pros would beat our college players.
Amun-Ra Wrote:That's because they don't play with college players overseas. They all use pro players. Players go pro in high school there. They play club ball. No high school or college. So yes, I would say a team of pros would beat our college players.

Absolutely right, we have been playing their pro's forever! And we used to abuse their pros! When their pros started to turn the tide, we stopped sending our college athletes because those very same pros that we had been beating for years was now beating us and the only way for us to right the ship was the Dream team. Now, even our current dream teams cannot annihilate these same teams the way the original Dream Team did. Thus, I stand by my argument that the rest of the world is catching us! We have forever been playing the other conturies pros, and their pros continue to get better and are catching up every year we play them!

The original Dream Team did not have 6 games in the olympics that teams were less than 10 against us.
zaga_fan Wrote:I know what you mean...

:Thumbs: