Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Highlands 45 Dupont Manual 14
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
The Birds absolutely dominated tonight's game. The Bluebird's 2nd team offense did fairly well tonight in the 2nd half.

Compton had 4 TDs on the ground and Towles had close to 300 yards through the air. The defense was stellar tonight allowing only 1 TD (the other scored was on the 2nd team late in the game).

Looks like Highlands is still the team to beat in 5A.
Go Birds!
Highlands D played well tonight. Only points came on a short field after a turnover and on the second string. Offense was well balanced tonight. WR dropped more passes than I like to see, but I think that will continue to improve. Teams playing agianst Highlands better have their secondary in shape, because Highlands is going to run them deep all night long.
Looks like Highlands is primed for another State title.
sstack Wrote:Highlands D played well tonight. Only points came on a short field after a turnover and on the second string. Offense was well balanced tonight. WR dropped more passes than I like to see, but I think that will continue to improve. Teams playing agianst Highlands better have their secondary in shape, because Highlands is going to run them deep all night long.

yeah, this offense is scary. How bout that D? The only Crimson pt's were off the fumble recovery inside the 40. Another late score on the 2nd team....looked like Dale was working on the passing game solely this week. When they did run, they couldn't be stopped in the 2nd half. Terrible call on the drop pass by the ref and he knew it. Sheehan didn't look comfy running his routes and seemed to have a hard time adjusting to Towles perfectly thrown balls. Bluebird fans will sleep alot easier tonight....TongueirateSho
whackem'n'stackem Wrote:yeah, this offense is scary. How bout that D? The only Crimson pt's were off the fumble recovery inside the 40. Another late score on the 2nd team....looked like Dale was working on the passing game solely this week. When they did run, they couldn't be stopped in the 2nd half. Terrible call on the drop pass by the ref and he knew it. Sheehan didn't look comfy running his routes and seemed to have a hard time adjusting to Towles perfectly thrown balls. Bluebird fans will sleep alot easier tonight....TongueirateSho

I agree on that being a terrible call on the dropped pass, that was no where near a fumble. Lucky it was not a close game and did not affect the outcome.
congrats to the Bluebirds
a friend of mine went to the game, he says highlands is the real deal, i must admit that score surprized me.
nice win for that team in ft. thomas
Scoring summary

DuPont Manual 0 0 7 7 -14
Highlands 7 21 7 10 -45
H-Compton 1 run (Weinel kick)
H-Compton 1 run (Weinel kick)
H-Gold 20 pass from Towles (Weinel kick)
H-Compton 5 run (Weinel kick)
H-Dr. Bruns 50 interception return (Weinel kick)
D-Warr 9 run (Nelson kick)
H-Weinel 30 FG
H-Seidl 43 run (Weinel kick)
D-Heath 32 pass from Woolridge (Nelson kick)
http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll...308210009/
Good win .
BaseballIsLife Wrote:The Birds absolutely dominated tonight's game. The Bluebird's 2nd team offense did fairly well tonight in the 2nd half.

Compton had 4 TDs on the ground and Towles had close to 300 yards through the air. The defense was stellar tonight allowing only 1 TD (the other scored was on the 2nd team late in the game).

Looks like Highlands is still the team to beat in 5A.

Compton had 3 td's...not 4.

Towles was 11-20 for 147 yards...not even close to 300.

Either way, the Birds showed why they're #1 in not only nky but also 5A.

Re-building? I think not.
kywldcat01 Wrote:Compton had 3 td's...not 4.

Towles was 11-20 for 147 yards...not even close to 300.

Either way, the Birds showed why they're #1 in not only nky but also 5A.

Re-building? I think not.

Sorry about that, just posted from what a friend was telling me who was at the game.
And there were people who thought this game was going to be a challenge to the Birds. NOT!
Make that 29 victories in a row for the Highlands football team and 42 consecutive wins for the Bluebirds against Kentucky schools.

http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll...308210009/

Highlands extended its winning streaks by opening the season Friday night with a 45-14 dismantling of DuPont Manual at David Cecil Memorial Stadium. The three-time defending state champion Bluebirds have won 45 of their last 46 games.

• Enquirer high school sports blog
• Follow Ryan Ernst on Twitter
• Check us out on Facebook
• More prep coverage

"These players have such a passion for football that they don’t like to lose," Highlands coach Dale Mueller said. "I really liked the way our guys executed play after play after play."

Highlands was a little slow out of the gate, recording one first down on its first series as quarterback Patrick Towles misfired on four deep passes.

But those long passing attempts paid dividends later in the quarter as the Bluebirds were able to find some running lanes against Rams defenders who were now out of the box to guard against the pass.

Tailback Corey Compton took advantage. He carried five times on the next drive and scored on a 1-yard touchdown run for the game’s first score with 4:15 to play in the opening quarter.

Compton scored twice more before the first half was complete, on another 1-yard plunge with 6:24 to go in the half and then again on a 5-yard run which helped give the Bluebirds a 28-0 halftime lead.

"We like to throw long and we did eventually connect with several long passes," Mueller said. "Patrick can really fire it down the field. And when he does, the defense is so stretched that it opens up other things."

Compton finished with 64 yards on 15 carries. Jordan Streeter ran 11 times for 64 yards as the Bluebirds carved a 286-63 rushing advantage.

"We took care of every gap," Compton said. "Every time, we had them blocked."

Towles finished 11-of-20 passing for 147 yards with a 20-yard touchdown pass to Daniel Gold to help give Highlands a 21-0 lead with 57 seconds left before halftime.

The Bluebirds’ Austin Abner intercepted a pass on the Rams' next play from scrimmage. On the ensuing play for Highlands, Towles hit Austin Sheehan with a 52-yard completion down to the Dupont Manual 5-yard line, setting the stage for Compton’s third touchdown.

Sheehan led Highlands with three catches for 65 yards. Gold had three catches for 45.

Highlands outgained the Rams, 433-186. DuPont Manual averaged 2.1 yards per carry and finished 9-of-19 passing for 123 yards while averaging 3.8 yards per play.

"We only had one scrimmage tape of them, so we worked on us a lot during practice," Towles said. "I thought the O-line did phenomenal. They opened some huge holes."

The Highlands defense had five first-half sacks and finished the game with six.

Defensive back Drake Bruns scored on a 50-yard interception return for a touchdown with 10:21 to play in the third quarter.

"He just threw it up there and I was in a great position," said Bruns, whose brother, lineman Devin Bruns, had a sack and a another tackle for loss.

Ty Seidl added a 43-yard scoring scamper for Highlands in the fourth quarter and Adam Weinel booted a 30-yard field goal.