Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Pikeville College Mens Basketball Coach Randy McCoy Resigns!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pikeville College Mens Basketball Coach Randy McCoy Resigns!

Pikeville College's highly-successful men's basketball coach, Randy McCoy, has resigned midway through his seventh season, school president Hal Smith announced Wednesday.

Smith said the team will be coached the remainder of the season by assistant coaches Dale Brown, Jerry Jenkins and Roland Wierwille.

“We appreciate coach McCoy's hard work to bring our men's basketball program to national prominence,” said Smith. “Coach McCoy recently has been undergoing a series of health challenges and tests. Our thoughts and prayers are with him as he deals with his medical situation.”

McCoy said it was a difficult decision, but one that he felt compelled to make in light of his current situation.

“Today I must take a step back and make the hardest decision of my career as a coach,” said McCoy. “But it is a decision that I am not afraid to make and I know that it is the right thing to do, both for my physical health and well-being and the well-being of a program that I have willed to success. At this time, after consulting with family, friends and President Smith, the right thing to do is step aside and concentrate on my health.”

Smith commended McCoy for the quality program he has built at the College. “Coach McCoy has good students and players and he's interested that each finds success, both on and off the court. They play hard and win, they graduate and they make all of us proud,” said Smith.

“This decision was not easy, not arrived at quickly, nor one that I'm sure any coach who loves his sport wants to make,” said McCoy. “I love Pikeville College. I love Pikeville College Bears basketball, and I love the players that have gone through our program and those currently here. I cannot cheat any of those by trying to continue on at less than 100 percent.”

McCoy compiled a record of 140-79 at Pikeville College, leading the Bears to the NAIA National Tournament three times in six seasons. The highlight of his tenure came in the 2001 season, Pikeville's first in the Mid-South Conference, when McCoy led the Bears to the MSC regular-season and tournament titles, and three wins in the national tournament for the program's first appearance in the NAIA Final Four.

“To those people who believed in me six and a half years ago, who believed that I was the right person for this job, with all my heart I thank you so much,” said McCoy. “To the people of the Pikeville College family, the community, for their support, I thank you so much. To the administration, faculty, staff, current and former students, I thank you. There are so many individuals that my emotions nor time will allow me to mention at this time, but I intend to reach out and thank those individuals personally.”

“Although I step away from this family, I will always be a proud Pikeville College alum and I will always consider this my home and family,” added McCoy.

McCoy, a 1977 graduate of Pikeville College, was the head coach at Elkhorn City High School for 11 seasons before being named head coach at PC in 1999. At Elkhorn City, McCoy compiled a record of 217-107. Under his guidance, the Cougars won four 60th District championships, one 15th Region crown and two regional All-A Classic titles.

Prior to coaching at Elkhorn City, McCoy was an assistant coach at Morehead State University for nine seasons under former Pikeville College head coach Wayne Martin. During that time, Morehead State made two appearances in the NCAA Tournament. McCoy was also an assistant coach under Martin at Pikeville College during the 1976-77 and 1977-78 seasons. In those campaigns, the Bears were 36-22.

McCoy, who holds a master's degree from Morehead State University, is married to Cherri K. McCoy.
very sad and shocking news to hear. Great coach and I hope he gets back to full health
What a classy coach! He will be missed so much by the people who follow Pikeville Basketball! I hope that he will gain control of his health and coach again somewhere. I can remember the great games that he and Raymond Justice had while he was at EC.
Hope everything is ok with coach McCoy.