Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Belfry/Hazard Scrimmage Results
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
how did it go?
cuppett777 Wrote:how did it go?

From what I saw Belfry has some work to do. Hazard passed the ball very well tonight and belfry had some fumbles but I say as the season goes on this team will get better.
CardinalAlum Wrote:From what I saw Belfry has some work to do. Hazard passed the ball very well tonight and belfry had some fumbles but I say as the season goes on this team will get better.

thanks i should get my cd sometime this week,i know Haywood dont show much,how outscored who?
cuppett777 Wrote:thanks i should get my cd sometime this week,i know Haywood dont show much,how outscored who?

It was pretty close when I was there and I was told that Hazard scored 2 more times after I left
If anyone knows anything about Haywood and Pirate football than they know not to put too much stock into a scrimmage as he uses it as a glorified practice and nothing more. From what I saw tonight I think the Pirates are going to be just fine!
Second hand info:

- Both teams were a revolving door of substitutions the entire time.
- Belfry had 2 TD in varsity vs. varsity on a run by Warren and a pass from Williams.
- Hazard had 2 TD's against the Belfry 2's.
- Pruitt from Belfry showed serious potential and can cut/change direction on a dime
- Both teams need alot of work on timing, Belfry has to work (as always) on fumbles.
I went tonight and watched the first three series of offense and 2 series of D. Belfry scored 2-1 tds while I was there.

Thoughts:

1) Belfry has some good looking players, but not a lot of size in the backfield outside of Runyon.

2) Speed at RB looks "OK" not exceptional.

3) Willis good be a Micheal Hackney/Phillip Hickman at DT. Love that quick/skilled player in that role.

4) Williams looks the part at QB in all respects IMO. Warren also passed the eye test. Threw a really nice deep ball on one occasion.

5) Offensive line needs to do better! Not much running room on many plays.

6) Defensive line looked pretty good! Runyon is a good LB. The other boy has good size and looks like a pretty good inside run stuffer.

7) Secondary looks OK, but Hazard got the ball to their playmaker on one occasion and he RAN AWAY from the safeties. "Chase down speed" could be lacking on this team. (No T. Varney)

8) Overall, the defense hit very good and tackled well.

I didnt see anyone filiming the action, but Belfry needs to improve dramatically before the Prestonsburg game. There are positives though, and I am sure Haywood will have them working hard to improve each day.
PaytoPlay Wrote:I went tonight and watched the first three series of offense and 2 series of D. Belfry scored 2-1 tds while I was there.

Thoughts:

1) Belfry has some good looking players, but not a lot of size in the backfield outside of Runyon.

2) Speed at RB looks "OK" not exceptional.

3) Willis good be a Micheal Hackney/Phillip Hickman at DT. Love that quick/skilled player in that role.

4) Williams looks the part at QB in all respects IMO. Warren also passed the eye test. Threw a really nice deep ball on one occasion.

5) Offensive line needs to do better! Not much running room on many plays.

6) Defensive line looked pretty good! Runyon is a good LB. The other boy has good size and looks like a pretty good inside run stuffer.

7) Secondary looks OK, but Hazard got the ball to their playmaker on one occasion and he RAN AWAY from the safeties. "Chase down speed" could be lacking on this team. (No T. Varney)

8) Overall, the defense hit very good and tackled well.

I didnt see anyone filiming the action, but Belfry needs to improve dramatically before the Prestonsburg game. There are positives though, and I am sure Haywood will have them working hard to improve each day.
i hope they was filming, i paid to get cds of every game including this one,lol
i say they will be fine ..like coach says every week every year, (we are a work in progress)
I have been a part and around Belfry football sence coach Haywood has
been there and you can't tell anything about his scrimmage games i thank
they will be fine we will see next Friday night. GOOD LUCK BOYS.
99PIRATEFAN Wrote:I have been a part and around Belfry football sence coach Haywood has

hope there not caught off guard this year against P-burg, last year they got in a whole early and didnt get out, i say they will throw the ball all over the field..
man its alful quite on here,i know there where alot more @ the game and they get on here all the time but not saying much...
cuppett777 Wrote:man its alful quite on here,i know there where alot more @ the game and they get on here all the time but not saying much...

Like to hear some info on how hazard looked? the o-line, d-line, defense etc...? Plz fill me in.
#1 from hazard looked really good
99PIRATEFAN Wrote:I have been a part and around Belfry football sence coach Haywood has

Thats why Haywood and Hilton are the best coaches in the Mountains. Alot of teams take these scrimmages way too serious. Why would you show everything you have when it doesnt even count? Belfry will be Belfry and be **** good like always!!
Belfry and Hazard are good scrimmage games because they both take the same approach. Both teams were subbing a lot and a lot of different players saw playing time. But from somebody who has seen a few Belfry scrimmages in the past, I left thinking Belfry has a pretty good football team. I think they will be quiet a bit better than last year, especially at this stage.
They have a lot of backs and I was impressed with the Pruitt kid, he runs hard, has nice speed, cuts really well and the thing I was most impressed was his ability to hit and take a hit. As for the offensive line they missed a lot of things, but it's early and checking off and picking up reads just comes with experience. The Warren kids is going to be special at QB and Tyler did a great job at QB also and IMO has a decent grip on the starting job at the time.
On defense I loved the way they swarmed to the football. They made mistakes and missed tackles but two or three other guys were always there to pick them up. The secondary will be fine, this was their first experienced in a live situation going full contact against another team, Belfry is young at the DB positions.
Hazard will be fine too. As always they got some nice athletes and are big on the line, the line don't realease verry well and needs to do a better job of holding their blocks, but that comes with time.
Both of these teams will be contenders in their respective class IMO.
cuppett777 Wrote:hope there not caught off guard this year against P-burg, last year they got in a whole early and didnt get out, i say they will throw the ball all over the field..

Our backs couldn't keep there feet under them last year
Varney could have scored two more times but he fell down
in a wide open field as he cut around the end going from turf
to grass that happens the boys are up beat the year and as
long as it stays like that they going to be fine.TongueirateShoTongueirateSho
BellCoBobcats09 Wrote:Thats why Haywood and Hilton are the best coaches in the Mountains. Alot of teams take these scrimmages way too serious. Why would you show everything you have when it doesnt even count? Belfry will be Belfry and be **** good like always!!

With the players all mixed in every were you really don't
know what they got be that is the way this two great
coachs do it you can't take these scrimmages serious but
it is good to get to go live at this point in the season.
This post is about as true as it gets good post.
BellCoBobcats09 Wrote:Thats why Haywood and Hilton are the best coaches in the Mountains. Alot of teams take these scrimmages way too serious. Why would you show everything you have when it doesnt even count? Belfry will be Belfry and be **** good like always!!

the same way Bell will be........
Upon further reflection, I think Belfry fans need to be a little concerned. The majority of running plays were unsuccessful (0-2 yards) in this scrimmage.
where was this at?
Strikeout King Wrote:where was this at?

Belfry
PaytoPlay Wrote:Upon further reflection, I think Belfry fans need to be a little concerned. The majority of running plays were unsuccessful (0-2 yards) in this scrimmage.

so i guess when they scored they was passing?wow lol:please:
cuppett777 Wrote:so i guess when they scored they was passing?wow lol:please:

One pass play by Williams, one QB run for a TD by Warren.
cuppett777 Wrote:Belfry

Thanks!

Sounds Like It Was A Pretty Good Scrimmage!

Best Of Luck To Both On The Upcoming Season!
EKUAlum05 Wrote:One pass play by Williams, one QB run for a TD by Warren.

thanks EKU, i knew how they scored,i talked to someone that was there,i was just beening funny because he was acting like the ground game was in trouble
cuppett777 Wrote:thanks EKU, i knew how they scored,i talked to someone that was there,i was just beening funny because he was acting like the ground game was in trouble

Pruitt scored on a pitch on short yardage near the goal-line, Gibbs caught a pass from Williams,and Warren scored on a short yardage option run. Those were the three Belfry scores while Hazard scored 1 TD in the initial ones versus ones. Hazard had one score in the JV action. Near the end, the varsity for both teams went back on the field with Belfry on D. Hazard, which goes from the hurry up, went into like a true 2 minute offense and scored 2 fairly quick scores in the ten plays. Haywood did not put his offense back in. Hazard had another offensive possesion with their JV against the Belfry freshman/JV and they did not score. Runyon was not on the field during Hazard's final two scores.
Just a few observations/opinions on the scrimmage.
1. Do not put much stock on either team's season success based on this scrimmage. Belfry was very vanilla in their play calling, aren't they always, but that is besides the point. Anyway my point is they ran basic bone 1 and 2 wide and broken bone most of the time.
2. Hazard is full of really good skill players. IMO, if you give Belfry number 1 for Hazard and another skill player, Belfry is a state title contender. Give Hazard a couple of the Belfry lineman, and they compete for the crown in single A.
3. The addition of Pruitt and Mahon are big for the Pirates.
4. Belfry still is getting blown out at the ends on sweep plays. They must correct this problem against the good teams like SC, JC, and Ashland.
5. The young talent Belfry has is very evident. I will not name names,but there are at least two freshman who may be tough to keep out of the lineup this year.
6. Belfry will be competitive this year. I see a good balance of experience and youth and i do see some more passing in store to shift the balance a liittle bit from just mainly a running team. However, as always, I think Belfry's strength will be on the ground.
7. I will hit on a point I have made before. You had best beat Belfry this year. The upcoming talent is really good. The freshman class is the best I have seen in years on Pond Creek. Combine those kids with this year's junior class, and Belfry will be at state competitive level next year IMO.
8. Belfry dressed right at 70 for the scrimmage with 6 or 7 in street clothes and they listed 79 players on their roster.
9. There was really a great crowd for the scrimmage.
bucslover68 Wrote:Just a few observations/opinions on the scrimmage.
1. Do not put much stock on either team's season success based on this scrimmage. Belfry was very vanilla in their play calling, aren't they always, but that is besides the point. Anyway my point is they ran basic bone 1 and 2 wide and broken bone most of the time.
2. Hazard is full of really good skill players. IMO, if you give Belfry number 1 for Hazard and another skill player, Belfry is a state title contender. Give Hazard a couple of the Belfry lineman, and they compete for the crown in single A.
4. Belfry still is getting blown out at the ends on sweep plays. They must correct this problem against the good teams like SC, JC, and Ashland.
5. The young talent Belfry has is very evident. I will not name names,but there are at least two freshman who may be tough to keep out of the lineup this year.
6. Belfry will be competitive this year. I see a good balance of experience and youth and i do see some more passing in store to shift the balance a liittle bit from just mainly a running team. However, as always, I think Belfry's strength will be on the ground.
7. I will hit on a point I have made before. You had best beat Belfry this year. The upcoming talent is really good. The freshman class is the best I have seen in years on Pond Creek. Combine those kids with this year's junior class, and Belfry will be at state competitive level next year IMO.
8. Belfry dressed right at 70 for the scrimmage with 6 or 7 in street clothes and they listed 79 players on their roster.

great post
bucslover68 Wrote:Just a few observations/opinions on the scrimmage.
There he is....:Thumbs:
Pages: 1 2