Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: 1997 Regional Championship LC vs Breathitt County
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Where were you?
What do you remember the most of this classic game in Louisa?

Personally I was at the game soaked in the rain and I remember how dominant and intimidating Breathitt County was. They came in 42-0 and were back to back State Champs.
I was at the game, I played in the youth league that year and was at the game wearing my jersey playing football in the endzone like most kids did. I was there to watch my youth league coach not to mention his name stand on top of the goal post as it was coming down after the victory. i remember watching big charlie vinson, nick meadows, and jason michaels tear through the bobcat defense.
awesome game.
I was coaching at LC. Remember thanking God it was so muddy that night because Breathitt was loaded. Remember how physical LC played and the amazing run Nick Meadows had. Remember Jason taking the last snap going back and kicking in his back in the mud. Remember hugging Chuke + looking up to see DM stuck on top of the goal post as it was breaking down lol. Remember going out in Huntington that night because a bunch of my college + high school friends were in town. Felt pretty rough when I got home. Remember getting up the next morning and going to the UK/Tenn game with my dad exhausted. It was so windy at that college game but Manning/Couch threw for just under 1,000 yards that day between them. GREAT weekend that will be hard to erase from the memories!
bulldog42 Wrote:I was coaching at LC. Remember thanking God it was so muddy that night because Breathitt was loaded. Remember how physical LC played and the amazing run Nick Meadows had. Remember Jason taking the last snap going back and kicking in his back in the mud. Remember hugging Chuke + looking up to see DM stuck on top of the goal post as it was breaking down lol. Remember going out in Huntington that night because a bunch of my college + high school friends were in town. Felt pretty rough when I got home. Remember getting up the next morning and going to the UK/Tenn game with my dad exhausted. It was so windy at that college game but Manning/Couch threw for just under 1,000 yards that day between them. GREAT weekend that will be hard to erase from the memories!

The sad thing is I know exactly who DM is Smile..One of the best memories of my life...

One name I remember hearing a lot from the Breathitt County side was the name "Chapman"? Did Breathitt have a running back by that name or something???
StrayBullet Wrote:The sad thing is I know exactly who DM is Smile..One of the best memories of my life...

One name I remember hearing a lot from the Breathitt County side was the name "Chapman"? Did Breathitt have a running back by that name or something???
Yes he was just a JR that year for the Bobcats.... Was one of the best Running Backs around.. If I am not mistaken his dad took a coaching job somewhere in Pike County the next year and he went with him and never heard anything else out of him.. The run Nick had was just amazing. He was hit or broke at least 6 times at the line of scrimmage and scampered about 60 yards before getting run down from behind. What most people dont remember is the one handed catch that Parker made over the middle and took to the house. Was one of the largest crowds I have ever seen for a high school football game.. I remember the week leading up to the game Coach Phil Ratliff had the basketball team come down after practice so they could get extra work in on covering routes. Also one of the biggest things I remember is how humble BJ Nelson was to take a step back and and not complain about not starting on D that week.. And yet he made several key stops. The goal post coming down was great but the football mothers laying in the mud after the game to spell out DAWGS was priceless.
StrayBullet Wrote:The sad thing is I know exactly who DM is Smile..One of the best memories of my life...

Also his dad just took over the program at Pike Central last year.
I was also there, I played safety for the bobcats. This was a great game but the conditions were horible. I remember having mud up past my ankles. I think if it would of been a better field the bobcats would of won. We had a offense that was one of the I have ever seen and we had like 7 or 8 turnovers in the game, we beat ourself. But that is football u have to play on them kind of conditions and win. I still say that the 97 team was the best team Breathitt ever had.
Batpuff Wrote:Yes he was just a JR that year for the Bobcats.... Was one of the best Running Backs around.. If I am not mistaken his dad took a coaching job somewhere in Pike County the next year and he went with him and never heard anything else out of him.. The run Nick had was just amazing. He was hit or broke at least 6 times at the line of scrimmage and scampered about 60 yards before getting run down from behind. What most people dont remember is the one handed catch that Parker made over the middle and took to the house. Was one of the largest crowds I have ever seen for a high school football game.. I remember the week leading up to the game Coach Phil Ratliff had the basketball team come down after practice so they could get extra work in on covering routes. Also one of the biggest things I remember is how humble BJ Nelson was to take a step back and and not complain about not starting on D that week.. And yet he made several key stops. The goal post coming down was great but the football mothers laying in the mud after the game to spell out DAWGS was priceless.
Chapman went to Pikeville and played but he only played 3 games for them and I think he blown his knee, but he still went to UK and played a year, now he is following in his dad's foot steps and he just became the defensive cor. at Breathitt this year.