Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Cincinnati Reds: Series of the decade for Great American Ballpark
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
The Cincinnati Reds are coming into the biggest series that young Great American Ballpark has seen! Now 16 games over .500, the Reds are coming off of a 3 game sweep of the Cubbies and will play host to the Cardinals who were rained out on Sunday giving the Reds a 2 game lead going into a 3 game series! Tickets have already been close to a sell out without any type of promotion for the three games. A friend told me that Rally towels will be passed out to get fans involved in the games and I am sure GABP will be absolutely rockin' like it was two weeks ago when I saw them take on the Braves. It truly is an amazing season to be a Reds fan!!
they definitely have the opportunity to to get up a few games here. its all up to them. we have to take 2 out of three
my team isn't going to the playoffs and some major work needs to be done this offseason for the cubbies. Go Reds!!!!! beat them Red Birds
Can't wait for this series to begin, man. Looks like it will be a good one. Here's how I see each game going:

Game 1 (Carpenter vs. Leake) = This is probably the worst matchup on paper of the series. Rookie Mike Leake, who was the team's best pitcher early in the season, has seemed to hit the wall of late. I am a little worried that his innings might be starting to catch up to him, as not only has Leake lost both his last two starts, but he has also given up at least four runs in 6 of his last 9 games. If he gives up four runs here, the game will likely be over, as Carpenter is usually lights out against the Reds. So far this season, he is 3-0 with only 3 runs given up in 21 innings against Cincy! IMO, the only hope for a win is for Leake to pitch like did earlier this season, keep it close, and maybe we can get to the Cardinals' bullpen.

Game 2 (Garcia vs. Cueto) = The Reds seem to have an edge here, although not as much as St. Louis has in the first game. Garcia has been great in his rookie year, even better than Leake, but he got knocked around a bit in his last start as well. Also, he tends to not go deep into games, so the Reds should have a shot at the Cards' bullpen. Meanwhile, Cueto has been on a roll, as he has won his last 5 decisions and has only given up 1 ER or less in 7 of his last 9 starts! Hopefully this will be a win.

Game 3 (Wainwright vs. Arroyo) = This looks to be the best matchup of the entire series, and may determine who gets the rubber game. On first glance at their respective ERA's, Wainwright would seem to have a big edge, but he has not been quite as dominant on the road as he is at home. Amazingly, he has only given up four ER or more 4 times out of 24 starts, but all 4 were on the road, and one was in Cincy in a 4-3 Reds win. Meanwhile, Arroyo has also been on a roll recently, as he has given up less than two ER in 7 of his last 10 starts. Maybe a slight edge to St. Louis, but again if it is close late I believe we can get to their bullpen.

All in all, I see almost no way the Reds get a sweep, although I think a Cards sweep is also unlikely. So depending on which team wins the series, the Reds will either have a 3 or 1 game lead when it's finished. Either way, I would still be happy the Reds are where they are in early August!
It's obviously a big series for the Reds to prove to any doubters that the Reds are for real. It should have minimal impact on whethere the Red's make the playoffs or even win the division. Their schedule down the stretch is considerably easier than the Cards, thus they could lose the series and even if swept would only be one game back. I think this series will do more to cement the fans confidence versus giving the young Reds confidence, or causing the veteran Cards to question themselves.
Whether they make the playoffs or not, I have enjoyed this season. They are almost guarnteed their first winning season since 1999, they lead the lead in runs, actually have decent pitching. This team is young enough to put together a good run a contender for a couple of years if management does not dismantle the team.
More Cowbell Wrote:Can't wait for this series to begin, man. Looks like it will be a good one. Here's how I see each game going:

Game 1 (Carpenter vs. Leake) = This is probably the worst matchup on paper of the series. Rookie Mike Leake, who was the team's best pitcher early in the season, has seemed to hit the wall of late. I am a little worried that his innings might be starting to catch up to him, as not only has Leake lost both his last two starts, but he has also given up at least four runs in 6 of his last 9 games. If he gives up four runs here, the game will likely be over, as Carpenter is usually lights out against the Reds. So far this season, he is 3-0 with only 3 runs given up in 21 innings against Cincy! IMO, the only hope for a win is for Leake to pitch like did earlier this season, keep it close, and maybe we can get to the Cardinals' bullpen.

Game 2 (Garcia vs. Cueto) = The Reds seem to have an edge here, although not as much as St. Louis has in the first game. Garcia has been great in his rookie year, even better than Leake, but he got knocked around a bit in his last start as well. Also, he tends to not go deep into games, so the Reds should have a shot at the Cards' bullpen. Meanwhile, Cueto has been on a roll, as he has won his last 5 decisions and has only given up 1 ER or less in 7 of his last 9 starts! Hopefully this will be a win.

Game 3 (Wainwright vs. Arroyo) = This looks to be the best matchup of the entire series, and may determine who gets the rubber game. On first glance at their respective ERA's, Wainwright would seem to have a big edge, but he has not been quite as dominant on the road as he is at home. Amazingly, he has only given up four ER or more 4 times out of 24 starts, but all 4 were on the road, and one was in Cincy in a 4-3 Reds win. Meanwhile, Arroyo has also been on a roll recently, as he has given up less than two ER in 7 of his last 10 starts. Maybe a slight edge to St. Louis, but again if it is close late I believe we can get to their bullpen.

All in all, I see almost no way the Reds get a sweep, although I think a Cards sweep is also unlikely. So depending on which team wins the series, the Reds will either have a 3 or 1 game lead when it's finished. Either way, I would still be happy the Reds are where they are in early August!

Completely agree man! This is going to be a rough series to keep that streak going. I think that the Reds can take 2/3 but I a lot of things have to go right for them. Like you said, the Carpenter game tonight is probably the one game you can almost count on a Cardinals win. Carpenter is just one of those pitchers that doesnt give up more than maybe 2 runs on a regular start. I think that we will get the last two but tonight might be the loss for the series.....I hope!
A huge series for sure.
Reds lose first game and are down to a one game lead over the Cardinals(remember too St.Louis can tie if they win the 2 extra games they have to play)
St.Louis 7 Cincinnati 2-Final
.Reds score on Hernandez double and Francisco single
.St.Louis scored on Holliday single,Rasmus single,Schumaker grand slam home run and a Pujols single.
.Win to Carpenter(13-3) who pitched 7 innings giving up 5 hits, 2 runs, 3 walks and had 5 strikeouts.
.Loss to Leake(7-4) who pitched just 3 2/3 innings giving up 6 runs.
Hopefully a better day tomorrow for the Reds. We need to win at least one and not be swept. It would be nice if we win the next two.
Tuesday's Game:
St.Louis at Cincinnati at 7:10 on FS Ohio
Pitching for Reds-Cueto(11-2) with a 3.24 ERA
Pitching for Cardinals-Garcia(9-5) with a 2.53 ERA
Hopefully we win this time. Then we'd be assured of being in first place when St.Louis leaves town.
Which would be good with a home series with Florida this weekend and then a 9 game West Coast trip including 3 at Los Angeles Dodgers and 3 at San Francisco Giants(Arizona is the other one).
bulldog149 Wrote:A huge series for sure.
Reds lose first game and are down to a one game lead over the Cardinals(remember too St.Louis can tie if they win the 2 extra games they have to play)
St.Louis 7 Cincinnati 2-Final
.Reds score on Hernandez double and Francisco single
.St.Louis scored on Holliday single,Rasmus single,Schumaker grand slam home run and a Pujols single.
.Win to Carpenter(13-3) who pitched 7 innings giving up 5 hits, 2 runs, 3 walks and had 5 strikeouts.
.Loss to Leake(7-4) who pitched just 3 2/3 innings giving up 6 runs.
Hopefully a better day tomorrow for the Reds. We need to win at least one and not be swept. It would be nice if we win the next two.

Just to clear, it was 7-3 if it really helps anyone's esteem. Hernandez homered in the 9th. But I do think that the Reds can get to Garcia and the bullpen. For the Cardinals this year it has been all about their bullpen, get into there and then you have a fantastic shot.
Thanks. I should have made a post to correct score. Noticed it too.
.What do you all think of big fight in the first inning? Seems stange managers are thrown out and no players(to me it does)-lack of control maybe.
..But an awful night for the Reds. And St.Louis is looking good. Every pitcher we face there has a 2. something ERA while ours are all over 3.
.St.Louis 8 Cincinnati 4-Final
.Reds runs on Phillips ground out,Votto single and Stubbs singles in 2 runs.
.St.Louis has lots of scoring-Pujols ground out,Molina solo home run,Holliday double,Rasmus double,Molina sacrifice fly,Holliday singles in 2 runs and Pujols scores on a throwing error.
..Loss to Cueto(11-3) who pitched 5 1/3 giving up 5 runs(4 earned).
.Win to Garcia(10-5) who pitched 5 1/3 innings giving up 4 runs.
.Franklin gets his 20th save.
..So the Reds and Cardinals are now tied for first place
Reds 64-50
Cardinals 63-49
And Cardinals have 2 more games to play than Reds do.
.Reds have to win tomorrow or we are swept and Cardinals leave town ahead by one game.
Wednesday game is at 12:35 on FS Ohio
St.Louis at Cincinnati has these pitchers starting
For Reds-Arroyo(12-6) with a 3.83 ERA
For Cards-Wainwright(16-6) with a 2.07 ERA
I bet the Braves are wishing they hadn't traded Wainwright for J.D. Drew.
Wainwright is really an amazing talent on that Cardinal team even after having another ace like Carpenter that find a way to have another big time ace in Wainwright!
Good news is the Reds are tied with San Francisco for the lead in the wildcard race. With Philadelphia one game back. We want to win the division and lots of games left but hopefully one of those two routes to the playoffs.
bulldog149 Wrote:Good news is the Reds are tied with San Francisco for the lead in the wildcard race. With Philadelphia one game back. We want to win the division and lots of games left but hopefully one of those two routes to the playoffs.

Main I am monitoring like 4 teams right now:
Cardinals
Giants
Phillies
Pades

It is going to be a fun wind-down to the playoffs!!!
Wainwright did have a great day. Winning to go 17-6,pithcing 7 innings giving up 2 hits,0 runs,0 walks and had 4 striekouts.
Unfortantely the Reds were swept at home and are a game behind first place St.Louis.
St.Louis 6 Cincinnati 1-Final
.Reds only run was on a Votto 8th inning single.
.Cardinals scored on Rasmus grand slam and later on singles by Molina and Schumaker.
Loss to Arroyo(12-7) who gave up 4 runs in 5 innings.
..Both teams are off Thursday.
But Friday the Reds begin a home weekend series with Florida(55-56)
While Chicago will be at St.Louis.(Cubs are 48-65)
Reds are 64-51
St.Louis is 64-49
I'd love for the Reds to sweep Florida before the 9 game West Coast road trip.
Our Reds took a complete beatdown. Unfortunately they played this series as if they had to WIN the series. They added unnecessary pressure to themselves, which proved this team is still young. I liked some of the negative actions because of the lessons that should be learned. This team had a leader that was consider a jovial leader, that being Brandon Phillips. Brandon, though his actions are probably what caused the two losses yesterday and today, also cemented this team as a "TEAM". These guys will now fight. They just have to sit back, lick their wounds, and now heal. The Reds will be just fine. I'm proud of this team.
well not sure it will go down as the series of the decade after the very sweet sweep but from where I'm sittin it sure was a sweet and sweeping series that I will not soon forget. :Thumbs:
MayfieldCardinal Wrote:well not sure it will go down as the series of the decade after the very sweet sweep but from where I'm sittin it sure was a sweet and sweeping series that I will not soon forget. :Thumbs:

Glad you were so easily able to forget the complete beatdown that the Cards took in Houston. Looks to me like this series just proved anything can happen, and since the Cards are so bad on the road, I'd treasure that they finally did something on the road to.....
MayfieldCardinal Wrote:well not sure it will go down as the series of the decade after the very sweet sweep but from where I'm sittin it sure was a sweet and sweeping series that I will not soon forget. :Thumbs:

It had the build up and potential to be an amazing series for the young ballpark but it proved to be too much pressure for the young Reds pitching staff to overcome and perform. I am proud of the team and I know that they will be fine on down the stretch.

Stardust Wrote:Glad you were so easily able to forget the complete beatdown that the Cards took in Houston. Looks to me like this series just proved anything can happen, and since the Cards are so bad on the road, I'd treasure that they finally did something on the road to.....

Exactly, to look at the Cardinals road record I guess I would be extra excited too if I was a Cards fan. But either way you go, it was a great series for the Cardinals and they showed who is the leader and the team that warrants the respect in the division. I still have confidence in my Reds!!! They will be fine!
Well, first I'd like to say that I had predicted that we would likely lose the series to the Cards, but I never imagined that we would get swept. The Reds just got outplayed the whole series.

I knew we would lose on Monday, and I didn't have a great feeling about today's game. But the way the pitching matchups fell, Cincy just HAD to win on Tuesday night. The Reds did what I thought they would do with Garcia, knock him around and get him out of the game during the 6th inning. But Cueto really disappointed me with his inability to take advantage of facing a rookie. Plus, the offense quit once we got into their bullpen, and we lost a game that by all acounts we SHOULD have won.

Still, there are plenty of games left to go, but I don't know how many more 3-game sweeps the Reds can absorb without their playoff chances taking a major hit. That west coast trip to Arizona, San Fran, and L.A. looms large next week.

Here's hoping Cincy rights the ship on Friday, but it won't be easy against one of the best in Florida's Josh Johnson. Go Reds!
More Cowbell Wrote:Well, first I'd like to say that I had predicted that we would likely lose the series to the Cards, but I never imagined that we would get swept. The Reds just got outplayed the whole series.

I knew we would lose on Monday, and I didn't have a great feeling about today's game. But the way the pitching matchups fell, Cincy just HAD to win on Tuesday night. The Reds did what I thought they would do with Garcia, knock him around and get him out of the game during the 6th inning. But Cueto really disappointed me with his inability to take advantage of facing a rookie. Plus, the offense quit once we got into their bullpen, and we lost a game that by all acounts we SHOULD have won.

Still, there are plenty of games left to go, but I don't know how many more 3-game sweeps the Reds can absorb without their playoff chances taking a major hit. That west coast trip to Arizona, San Fran, and L.A. looms large next week.

Here's hoping Cincy rights the ship on Friday, but it won't be easy against one of the best in Florida's Josh Johnson. Go Reds!

Good post. I think that the game on Firday will tell a little bit on how the team is fairing. We have an ace pitcher yet again and we need to take advantage of these home games against top notch pitchers. I really hope that Fridays game is a pleasant surprise.