Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Heat Exhaustion
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Heard that 4 Rowan County high school players taken to hospital this morning[8/3] for heat exhaustion. High school coaches are pretty aware of heat issues. All coaches at all levels of all sports need to be extra careful with your players. Do not depend on players to provide their own water or gatorade. Make sure ALL players are getting plenty of hydration and cool down periods. Trust me, you do not want to be the one to call a parent and tell them to come to the hospital because their son or daughter collapsed at practice. No practice or game is worth that.
dawgbyte02 Wrote:Heard that 4 Rowan County high school players taken to hospital this morning[8/3] for heat exhaustion. High school coaches are pretty aware of heat issues. All coaches at all levels of all sports need to be extra careful with your players. Do not depend on players to provide their own water or gatorade. Make sure ALL players are getting plenty of hydration and cool down periods. Trust me, you do not want to be the one to call a parent and tell them to come to the hospital because their son or daughter collapsed at practice. No practice or game is worth that.

There is a state mandated Heat Index that all teams must adhere to.
Yeah, if it gets above 104 then if you wish to continue practice or workouts you must take them inside. I think if it gets above 100 the pads must come off but you're still allowed to practice. Our coaches don't mess around with the heat; when we're supposed to stop or take off the pads, we do. If Rowans coaches had the players out in this heat today and they were hospitalized for it, they could be in some big trouble.
The news said that 6 players passed out during practice that started at 9 in the morning, This means when the players collapsed during conditioning at the end of practice.....That it was probably around noon.
I hadn't seen where it said they passed out at the end of practice. WSAZ.com says more players were treated by a nurse as well.
UKFootball Wrote:The news said that 6 players passed out during practice that started at 9 in the morning, This means when the players collapsed during conditioning at the end of practice.....That it was probably around noon.

It was on the news at noon so it had to happen before that. Also it did not report that 6 passed out. 4 were taken to the hospital. 1 was kept over night for observation and the other 3 were released. 2 were treated by the school nurse and not at the hospital.
After the camp they had this past weekend I figured they would have been in better shape. Those kids practiced 4 times a day, ran the first night at like 1 a.m. and did some other stuff. Even though they are still kids the heat should've been taken in to consideration because everyone has their limits. At 9 this morning the heat index here was somewhere around 90 or so! Very unfortunate situation for Rowan Co...best wishes on a speedy return for those who suffered from exhaustion.
Kentucky has some of the toughest rules on heat in the nation, but i dont think they are even strict enough. Sometime coaches need to realise that when it gets too hot they need to call it a day. One of the best ideas iv heard of is having a dedicated conditioning/weightlifting practice early in the morning. Then having your legit practice in the evening. and by early in the morning i mean 6:00 or 7:00. 9 am is just too late to start a practice in heat like this.
PTF,

I like that plan, however, when you start school back on August 2nd like LC did this year that pretty much backs you into a corner on when your going to be practicing in the weeks prior to opening game.
PaintsvilleTigerfan Wrote:Kentucky has some of the toughest rules on heat in the nation, but i dont think they are even strict enough. Sometime coaches need to realise that when it gets too hot they need to call it a day. One of the best ideas iv heard of is having a dedicated conditioning/weightlifting practice early in the morning. Then having your legit practice in the evening. and by early in the morning i mean 6:00 or 7:00. 9 am is just too late to start a practice in heat like this.

Southwestern had their first practice at 6:00am and the second practice was at 8:00pm. They stated on the news that the Rowan County coaches followed all of the rules and they don't think anyone will be in trouble. All of the boys that were treated at the hospital was released other than the one that collapsed.
I know this isn't a popular opinion, but I think basketball coaches and school officials have a responsibility here too. Between the two of them, we are starting school way too early and starting the KY football season way too early. If the season started later ( like most of the nation) and push basketball season back a little, we can start our practices a little later, maybe save our schools some heartache, and liability. Now don't get me started on what basketball has done to football and the month of June!!!
Just a little note from a lonely basketball hater!!
My main concern is not so much with the high school programs as it is with the youth league and middle school programs whose coaches might not be so well educated and have all the specific training related to heat stress. A player suffering from heat exhaustion usually does not realize he is in trouble. A lot of times another player will notice he is acting strange, talking incoherently, disoriented or staggering. While most cases are related to exhaustion and the player recovers soon, many cases from youth to professional have had tragic results.
hope they all recover soon...i am a city driver and getting in and out of a trailor all day when its about 30 degrees hotter inside there,sometimes you feel like passing out..
wiseguy85 Wrote:I know this isn't a popular opinion, but I think basketball coaches and school officials have a responsibility here too. Between the two of them, we are starting school way too early and starting the KY football season way too early. If the season started later ( like most of the nation) and push basketball season back a little, we can start our practices a little later, maybe save our schools some heartache, and liability. Now don't get me started on what basketball has done to football and the month of June!!!

I couldn't agree more, the college football season doesn't start until Sept. So they are just now starting practice. Where most teams are a week away from scrimaging a team, so coaches are pretty hard at it right now.
I would love FB to not start until September.
The question is will it ever get passed?
wiseguy85 Wrote:I know this isn't a popular opinion, but I think basketball coaches and school officials have a responsibility here too. Between the two of them, we are starting school way too early and starting the KY football season way too early. If the season started later ( like most of the nation) and push basketball season back a little, we can start our practices a little later, maybe save our schools some heartache, and liability. Now don't get me started on what basketball has done to football and the month of June!!!

IDK if your opinion is populor or not but it is dead on. Football is a FALL sport not a middle of august staggering heat sport. pushing the season back two or three weeks would do wonders for all of the heat related injuries.
So much of this could be avioded by pushing the start of the season back. That will give coaches/ players more time to get acclmated to the heat. With how fast the season approaches coaches are in a rush to get prepared for the season.
Then you'll have to shorten the regular season. With all but 3 teams in the entire state making the playoffs, they would last until January if you started a month later. And as for unpopular, here's one that will fall in that category: kids today are from the playstation generation. Not outside enough to be acclimated. Workout in AC in offseason more often than not. These problems were far less common 25 years ago. Just calling it what it is. Don't blame basketball. It starts when it always has. Blame the lame playoff season that we now have in the Commonwealth. Blame the dead period. But it ain't a basketball issue.
justaguy Wrote:Then you'll have to shorten the regular season. With all but 3 teams in the entire state making the playoffs, they would last until January if you started a month later. And as for unpopular, here's one that will fall in that category: kids today are from the playstation generation. Not outside enough to be acclimated. Workout in AC in offseason more often than not. These problems were far less common 25 years ago. Just calling it what it is. Don't blame basketball. It starts when it always has. Blame the lame playoff season that we now have in the Commonwealth. Blame the dead period. But it ain't a basketball issue.

If they would eliminate a round of playoffs and the off week that would make the season two less weeks. Then instead of starting the season on August 20th as is the case this year they could wait two weeks until September 3rd.
This would result in the season still ending the first weekend of December. Real simple and it would solve a large portion of the heat problems and the problems of having 0-10 teams making the playoffs.

I also agree about the playstation era instead of being outside getting use to the heat. My two are as bad as the rest.
CatDawg Wrote:If they would eliminate a round of playoffs and the off week that would make the season two less weeks. Then instead of starting the season on August 20th as is the case this year they could wait two weeks until September 3rd.
This would result in the season still ending the first weekend of December. Real simple and it would solve a large portion of the heat problems and the problems of having 0-10 teams making the playoffs.

I also agree about the playstation era instead of being outside getting use to the heat. My two are as bad as the rest.

you may be right about the heat being down but the teams would still be practicing right now so it would result in the same as now :Thumbs:
How is it kids can play in Alabama and Mississippi and Ga. heat but they can't in Ky. heat.
Tica Wrote:How is it kids can play in Alabama and Mississippi and Ga. heat but they can't in Ky. heat.

They probably have stricter rules down there...
and the coaches around here simply don't care(for the most part).
Tica Wrote:How is it kids can play in Alabama and Mississippi and Ga. heat but they can't in Ky. heat.

well for one thing they dont have the humidity levels as high as we do
SCHS#70 Wrote:you may be right about the heat being down but the teams would still be practicing right now so it would result in the same as now :Thumbs:

They may still be having practice now but they wouldn't have to be doing so in July. West Virginia just started this week and they just start the season a week later than Kentucky. One of the main problems is Kentucky starting school this early puts the football programs into a corner that they have to practice at 4 in the afternoon.
Greenup NEVER lifts or practices with AC. In Fact the heat in the weight room is always on HIGH!
SCHS#70 Wrote:well for one thing they dont have the humidity levels as high as we do
:thatsfunn

The temps and humidity are worse in the southern states such as Georgia, Mississippi, Fla, etc. Please say you response was a joke.
Thunder Lips Wrote::thatsfunn

The temps and humidity are worse in the southern states such as Georgia, Mississippi, Fla, etc. Please say you response was a joke.

it was a joke lmao:Thumbs:
I spent two years in Georgia on a turf field (hotter than on grass) and we never worried about the heat. We kept our guys watered down when they weren't doing drills, and stopped for 5 minutes once or twice an hour for a water break. The problem is most coaches won't give there guys water when they're not in the drill.
Jackson05 Wrote:I spent two years in Georgia on a turf field (hotter than on grass) and we never worried about the heat. We kept our guys watered down when they weren't doing drills, and stopped for 5 minutes once or twice an hour for a water break. The problem is most coaches won't give there guys water when they're not in the drill.

we aslo play on turf and it is alot hotter than on grass and our coaches make sure they follow the rules and make sure that we get water and take care of us like we were there own kids :1:
Pages: 1 2