Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Reds crush Oswalt, climb back into first
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20100...irst-place

What was likely Roy Oswalt's final start against the Reds as an Astro was definitely his worst.

The guy he was pitching against, Johnny Cueto, did a spot-on imitation of an ace, however.

Cueto pitched eight shutout innings to beat Oswalt and the Houston Astros 7-0 Saturday night before a crowd of 31,552 at Minute Maid Park.

• Photos: Reds 7, Astros 0
• Box score

The victory put the Reds back into first place in the National League Central, a half game ahead of the St. Louis Cardinals, who lost 6-5 to the Chicago Cubs Saturday afternoon.

Cueto, who nearly scratched because of illness, pitched like a perfectly healthy man. Cueto allowed only four hits, walked one and struck out five.

“I’ve seen it a number of times,” Baker said. “Guys relax and don’t overthrow. He was nice and easy tonight.”

Cueto is quietly having a great year: He improved to 10-2 and lowered his ERA to 3.18.

“We appreciate what he’s done,” Baker said. “We appreciate the progress he’s made. We think he’s right on course to be an outstanding pitcher. His record is indicative of that this year. He’s learned to compose himself. He’s learned to back off, instead of going all out all the time.”

Cueto was dealing with a bit of tonsillitis. It got to the point where the Reds brought in Sam LeCure in case Cueto couldn’t go.

“It didn’t affect me,” Cueto said. “I was thinking about positive stuff. I knew I needed to pitch good because the team is playing good right now.”

Oswalt, the subject of rampant trade speculation, went five innings and allowed six runs on nine hits. He walked one and struck three.
Glad to see the Reds finally be Oswalt this year. Oswalt had owned the Reds his entire career.
Jarons Wrote:Glad to see the Reds finally be Oswalt this year. Oswalt had owned the Reds his entire career.

Yeah they have hit Oswalt up pretty good this year! I just hope it continues because we play the Astros for two more series I believe.
Jarons Wrote:Glad to see the Reds finally be Oswalt this year. Oswalt had owned the Reds his entire career.

It was the Reds 3rd win in Oswalts 26 starts against him. I think he was 21-1 in his first 22 starts against the Reds, which means they have finally started to catch him now.
I love it! Oswalt has owned us in his career but has been rocked this year! If Ceuto keeps up the good pitching, I like our chances!