Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Dixie Frosh Brandon Hatton on ESPN3 tonight
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
http://cincinnati.com/blogs/preps/2010/0...espn3-com/

Dixie Heights freshman-to-be Brandon Hatton, one of the area’s best young players, will be playing in the AAU 14-and-under national super showcase at 6 p.m. today. The game is being streamed live online. Hatton and several other local youths play for Tar Heels Select, a team coached by Northern Kentucky basketball official James Pouncy.

Hatton averaged 10 points per game last season as an eighth-grader for the Colonels’ varsity team.
I checked out the Fab Frosh website and Hatton scored 11 in that game against other Nationally ranked competition. It appears he is ranked in the top 15 in the Country. This is quite impressive even though he is a year older than most kids in this class.

This kid could make a run to break Scott Draud's scoring record, he just knows how to get the ball in the hoop.
qryche11 Wrote:I checked out the Fab Frosh website and Hatton scored 11 in that game against other Nationally ranked competition. It appears he is ranked in the top 15 in the Country. This is quite impressive even though he is a year older than most kids in this class.

This kid could make a run to break Scott Draud's scoring record, he just knows how to get the ball in the hoop.

When you say a year older, is this like Mayo and Walker where they started their Sr. year at 19?
Stardust Wrote:When you say a year older, is this like Mayo and Walker where they started their Sr. year at 19?

I dont believe so but you never know. I think he is going to be 18 at the beginning of his Sr yr but 19 by the time it ends which is a huge difference. There is a kid in the incoming freshman class down at Scott Co who was held back twice, started school late and then held back as a 7th grader. He will be 19 at the start of his Sr year. You will likely hear a lot about this kid when he is a Jr and Sr.
What does his age have to do with it? Either he can play or he can't! Most of the top players in Ky turn 19 during their Sr year these days I am so sick of all that garbage. Either he can play or he can't and if he is to old he will be ineligible, if not, just say he is a great player. I thought all of this kind of crap ended with 14/u AAU, I didn't realize some of you folks would keep tagging the kids with the OLDER label until they graduated. I can see it now, he will be playing in the NBA and someone will say "he is a year older than the other players who have been in the league for three years."
It depends on what age the child matures physically, not if he is 8-9 months older than someone else. Hatton is a great player whether he is 12 or 20. John Wall was older....didn't seem to hurt him any.
southernky Wrote:What does his age have to do with it? Either he can play or he can't! Most of the top players in Ky turn 19 during their Sr year these days I am so sick of all that garbage. Either he can play or he can't and if he is to old he will be ineligible, if not, just say he is a great player. I thought all of this kind of crap ended with 14/u AAU, I didn't realize some of you folks would keep tagging the kids with the OLDER label until they graduated. I can see it now, he will be playing in the NBA and someone will say "he is a year older than the other players who have been in the league for three years."
It depends on what age the child matures physically, not if he is 8-9 months older than someone else. Hatton is a great player whether he is 12 or 20. John Wall was older....didn't seem to hurt him any.

Chill, no one is disparaging the young man because of when he is turning 19, so your whole rant made no sense! You obviously did not read the context of the posts!
My point is why mention it at all??
southernky Wrote:My point is why mention it at all??

Hmm, this is an opinion site. It's about putting every bit of information that you know out and then commenting about it. I guess it would be pretty boring if we didn't. 19 is worth mentioning. It would have been even more interesting if the young man was 16 entering his Sr. season and certainly would have garnered a different type of response, so your point of not mentioning something that is not the norm makes no sense!
Most of the kids these days either start school late or stay back. I dont have a problem with it either way. It really helps some kids to mature and go into college with a better chance to play right away. John Wall was older than most freshman and it didnt hurt him at all. Most of the really good players dont stay but 1 or 2 yrs in college anymore, so I dont think its a big deal.
Hatton is a player, you worry about his age, I just enjoy watching him play!
southernky Wrote:What does his age have to do with it? Either he can play or he can't! Most of the top players in Ky turn 19 during their Sr year these days I am so sick of all that garbage. Either he can play or he can't and if he is to old he will be ineligible, if not, just say he is a great player. I thought all of this kind of crap ended with 14/u AAU, I didn't realize some of you folks would keep tagging the kids with the OLDER label until they graduated. I can see it now, he will be playing in the NBA and someone will say "he is a year older than the other players who have been in the league for three years."

I do agree that after a certain age you either can play or not but physical development for some can accelerate from 18-19. I have seen it personally in fact one kid grew 3 inches from 6'1 to 6'4 during this year. Bottom line he is a fantastic player regardless of age though.
southernky Wrote:Hatton is a player, you worry about his age, I just enjoy watching him play!

Who on here "worries" about his age? You're picking an argument that no one else is engaged in.
I get sick and tired of hearing the comments about him being a year older.

The rules states as long as you are 19 after August 1st of senior year you can play. When i seen people graduating at 17 or 18 I like to say they are a year or two younger rather than a 19 year old year older. This is the dumbest comments in sports.

Go by their class, not their age.