Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Kaye Cowher dies of cancer at 54
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Kaye Cowher, the wife of former Pittsburgh Steelers coach Bill Cowher, died Friday after battling skin cancer, the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette reported. She was 54.

Cowher
Born Kaye Young in Bunn, N.C., she met Bill Cowher at N.C. State in 1976, where he was a football player and she and her twin sister Faye played women's basketball. The couple married in 1981.

Kaye Cowher played a key role in her husband's decision to retire from coaching in 2007 and move full-time to Raleigh, so the family could be together as their daughters completed their high school and college basketball careers.

Meagan, Lauren, and Lindsay Cowher all followed their mothers' footsteps into Division I college basketball. Meagan and Lauren played together at Princeton, while Lindsay currently plays at Wofford.

Kaye Cowher and her sister led N.C. State to the Atlantic Coast Conference's first women's basketball title in 1978. They also appeared in a Wrigley's Doublemint gum commercial.

Kaye Cowher played one season for the New York Stars and two with the New Jersey Gems in the Women's Professional Basketball League until that league folded in 1981.

The family has requested privacy and has released no information on Cowher's death. Services will be held in North Carolina on Monday, according to the report.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story...NHeadlines
My thoughts and prayers to the Cowher family. I cannot imagine the pain they are going through.
This is really tough for Steelernation to swallow. I watched her cheer for the black and gold for 15 years in that box. I watched her smile and cry with Bill after we lost to the Cowboys in SB XXX, and I seen her cry and celebrate with Bill after we won SB XL. This is a tough loss, to say the least. Condolences to Coach Cowher and his family.
Prayers and thoughts to the family.
I cannot imagine the loss for Bill and his 3 daughters. The weddings and grandchildren that she will never be a part of. I don't know why she got skin cancer, but most of it is brought on from tanning in the sun and the tanning beds. Most women do it for that healthy tanned look, but any tan is damaged skin. This may not have been her case, but think about your teenagers, and your wife or husband if he works out in construction. Get checked for moles. It will save your life.