Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Which Ohio Valley state has the best football
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Which state has the best high school football in the Ohio Valley.
Ohio and then Pennsylvania would be my guess.
Tough question, especially with the best of the football in both states played in the Youngstown/Pittsburgh borders. Statewide, I'd go with Ohio, but PA consistently puts some of the best recruits of the Big Ten in schools every year.
Stardust Wrote:Tough question, especially with the best of the football in both states played in the Youngstown/Pittsburgh borders. Statewide, I'd go with Ohio, but PA consistently puts some of the best recruits of the Big Ten in schools every year.

Can't argue with that.

:Thumbs:
Where dose kentucky stacks up at .
They play some pretty good football in Western Pa. Ohio schools regularly beat KY schools. Don't know much about Indiana.

But then again you'll find all levels of play in every state. Having watched the the Western Pa Championships over the last 20+ years on the Friday and Saturday after Thanksgiving I'd put Western Pa #1 then Ohio then a distant 3rd KY.
They play a pretty impressive all-star game every year called the Big 33 between Ohio and PA http://www.big33.org/
The only Ohio Valley state that ranks below Kentucky in football is West Virginia. Kentucky teams are competitive with Indiana teams along the border but Indiana's powerhouse teams are mostly in the Indy area (Warren Central, Center Grove, Carmel, Ben Davis, Bishop Chatard, Cathedral, etc.), which play few games against Kentucky teams. Trinity and St. X are the only Kentucky teams that would be consistently competitive with the big Indy schools.

The biggest Indy 5A schools have enrollments that dwarf Kentucky schools, they are very talented, and they are well coached. All else being equal, it is hard to compete with schools having a large enrollment advantage consistently.

I am not very familiar with Illinois football, but my guess is that it ranks right behind Pennsylvania and Ohio.
Hoot Gibson Wrote:The only Ohio Valley state that ranks below Kentucky in football is West Virginia. Kentucky teams are competitive with Indiana teams along the border but Indiana's powerhouse teams are mostly in the Indy area (Warren Central, Center Grove, Carmel, Ben Davis, Bishop Chatard, Cathedral, etc.), which play few games against Kentucky teams. Trinity and St. X are the only Kentucky teams that would be consistently competitive with the big Indy schools.

The biggest Indy 5A schools have enrollments that dwarf Kentucky schools, they are very talented, and they are well coached. All else being equal, it is hard to compete with schools having a large enrollment advantage consistently.

I am not very familiar with Illinois football, but my guess is that it ranks right behind Pennsylvania and Ohio.

The consistent pattern is the best states have the largest populations.
OrangenowBlue Wrote:The consistent pattern is the best states have the largest populations.
Generally, I agree, but I think that states having a warmer climate have an added edge. Louisiana produces more football talent than most states and its population is nowhere near the top.
Ohio football is on an Elite level nationally.
Hoot Gibson Wrote:Generally, I agree, but I think that states having a warmer climate have an added edge. Louisiana produces more football talent than most states and its population is nowhere near the top.

That is true, although Louisiana has more to choose from then Kentucky and West Virginia.