Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: UConn offers Rockcastle star
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Rockcastle County's Sara Hammond, the leading candidate for Miss Basketball honors next season in Kentucky, has been offered a scholarship by national power Connecticut.

Hammond's father, Eddie, said UConn coach Geno Auriemma called his daughter after watching her play for the Kentucky Premier team at the Battle in the Boro in Murfreesboro last week.

Hammond has two more AAU events and then will sometime before November narrow her list to five schools. She already has Louisville, Western Kentucky and Vanderbilt on the short list, according to her father. UConn, Notre Dame and Kentucky are among the others still actively pursuing Hammond.

The 6-foot-2 Hammond is considered one of the top 30 prospects nationally. She helped Kentucky Premier win the Derby City Classic at U of L recently.

http://jodydemling.courier-journal.com/2...html?GID=0
Wow! Congrats Sara
Can not get any bigger than an offer from UConn!
That's great news for Sarah!

I'd like to see her in Lexington, but I wish nothing but the best for her.
BlackcatAlum Wrote:That's great news for Sarah!

I'd like to see her in Lexington, but I wish nothing but the best for her.

I'd also like to see UK build on their women's program after the good year they had last year.

However.....
A Kentucky girl going to UConn is fine with me.
AS LONG AS THEY DON'T GO TO TENNESSEE!!!
way to go sara :Thumbs::notworthy
VERY exciting news for us Rockcastle folks!
Is Sara from Rockcastle County?
I've heard Kentucky isn't even in the running.

Heard she also about committed to Louisville, before being offered by UCONN.

Not sure if either of these rumors have legs, but I would like to here some of the Rock folks opinion.
123Hoopz Wrote:Is Sara from Rockcastle County?

yes she is from The Rock

BlackcatAlum Wrote:I've heard Kentucky isn't even in the running.

Heard she also about committed to Louisville, before being offered by UCONN.

Not sure if either of these rumors have legs, but I would like to here some of the Rock folks opinion.

Louisville is very high on her list. But an offer from a school like UCONN you cant turn it down. I think she was leaning towards Louisville out of the other schools who had offered before. But now i think she will commit to UCONN pretty soon. I am very proud of sara. this couldnt happen to a better person.
She was also offered by LSU this weekend to
I would love to see her in a UK Jersey =) But wherever she goes I as well as everybody thisaway will prolly crossover and have another College favorite to support we prolly without her going there we never would. Go Sarah!
This is big news for the whole county of Rockcastle. A most likely Miss Basketball for 2011 and being recruited by the best college team in America. The last piece of the puzzle would be a state championship!!!!! Let's hope everything will come together for this team.
Just to be offered an opportunity to go to the best womans program in the country is the one of the best things to happen to girls HS basketball in our state. Congrats to the young lady.
here is an article from the middletown press
http://www.middletownpress.com/articles/...637746.txt
ROCKSOLID69 Wrote:here is an article from the middletown press
http://www.middletownpress.com/articles/...637746.txt

I love that the article said that the assistants had been keeping their eyes on her, then Geno came to see her, and subsuquently offered her a scholarship, lol. He didn't need to look twice did he? :lmao:
She will make alot of headlines.
Wow!..Congrats.
Couldn't happen to a nicer kid. Good luck wherever you may decide to play!!
I just want to put this out while I have a chance. I know this post is all about Sara and her great accomplishments as well as it should be, but I have to stop a minute and just say that she is not a one woman team. Rockcastle has some very good players to go along with Sara. While they will have 6 Seniors I think, they also have some very good underclassmen as well. They have possibly the best ball handler at point guard in the 12th Region in the Lawrence kid. They have one of the best defensive stoppers in the Abney kid.whom has given up a lot of her offense to accept that role I might add. The Arvin girl looked good this summer from what I saw of her in camps. The Burton girl has really improved over the years. Now you have the Hunter girl coming off the bench and she just seems to explode with all kinds of potential and I think she is only a Freshman. My point is this, Sara is great but she does have some help and I wouldn't want any of those kids to feel left out because they are a big part of what's happening at the Rock!!
rockblue Wrote:I just want to put this out while I have a chance. I know this post is all about Sara and her great accomplishments as well as it should be, but I have to stop a minute and just say that she is not a one woman team. Rockcastle has some very good players to go along with Sara. While they will have 6 Seniors I think, they also have some very good underclassmen as well. They have possibly the best ball handler at point guard in the 12th Region in the Lawrence kid. They have one of the best defensive stoppers in the Abney kid.whom has given up a lot of her offense to accept that role I might add. The Arvin girl looked good this summer from what I saw of her in camps. The Burton girl has really improved over the years. Now you have the Hunter girl coming off the bench and she just seems to explode with all kinds of potential and I think she is only a Freshman. My point is this, Sara is great but she does have some help and I wouldn't want any of those kids to feel left out because they are a big part of what's happening at the Rock!!

yea if they keep working this could be there year
VERY Impressive!! Congratulations!!

I KNOW EVERYTHING
rockblue Wrote:I just want to put this out while I have a chance. I know this post is all about Sara and her great accomplishments as well as it should be, but I have to stop a minute and just say that she is not a one woman team. Rockcastle has some very good players to go along with Sara. While they will have 6 Seniors I think, they also have some very good underclassmen as well. They have possibly the best ball handler at point guard in the 12th Region in the Lawrence kid. They have one of the best defensive stoppers in the Abney kid.whom has given up a lot of her offense to accept that role I might add. The Arvin girl looked good this summer from what I saw of her in camps. The Burton girl has really improved over the years. Now you have the Hunter girl coming off the bench and she just seems to explode with all kinds of potential and I think she is only a Freshman. My point is this, Sara is great but she does have some help and I wouldn't want any of those kids to feel left out because they are a big part of what's happening at the Rock!!

Good quality post. Every Jordan has a Pippen, right? :Thumbs:
Is she still considering Kentucky?
I haven't heard CougarPride, but I will try to find out.
What an honor, what an oppurtunity, what a player.
whats some other offers?
What a wonderful opportunity to be able to play for one of the best programs and coaches around! Make Kentucky proud!! :Cheerlead
WOW!! That's a once in a lifetime opportunity! I wouldn't blame her a bit if she chose UCONN over UK! Getting to play for the best NCAA Women's coach EVER and an ELITE team like UCONN!! Go for it and make Kentucky proud!! Congrats on the offer!
Not considering Kentucky.....
Pages: 1 2