Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Coaching Basketball
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I wanted to make this topic because I'm interested in talking about different strategies for basketball and I thought there might be a few people here on bluegrassrivals.com that might be interested also.

Also, I wasn't sure where to make this topic. Please feel free to delete or move this thread if it's not in the correct forum.
i'm interested. that's what i wanted to go to college for but they don't offer it
I understand the half-court offense more than the fast-break offense. However, whether a team plays a half-court or fast-break offense, I think it's key that the point guard has to have a high basketball IQ and to help teammates with matchups. Of course, I think it's great to have any player with high basketball IQ.

By the way, I completely support Doc River's philosophy of playing as a team. I would rather have ten hard-working, team-oriented players than one or even two MVP's.
Deathstar 80 Wrote:I understand the half-court offense more than the fast-break offense. However, whether a team plays a half-court or fast-break offense, I think it's key that the point guard has to have a high basketball IQ and to help teammates with matchups. Of course, I think it's great to have any player with high basketball IQ.

By the way, I completely support Doc River's philosophy of playing as a team. I would rather have ten hard-working, team-oriented players than one or even two MVP's.

takes a team to win, one or 2 just can't get it done!
Carolina break!!!
DS80, there are 100's of philosophy's and there is no way to tell you what is best. It is 100% based on personnell. It depends on the type of players that you have that will dictate your style of basketball. I coached AAU Basketball for years, and rarely did I play the same style more than two years in a row due to the type of players that I had. Unless you are having a tryout squad where you can pick the players that operate in the style of basketball that you want to run, then you need to keep your philosphy based around the basics and adapt to the players abilities.

I have leaned towards pusing the ball and playing a motion offense. On defense, my preference was a 2-2-1 defense, but that is because I had incredibly athletic players. Got get the Dean Smith book and leanr about every style thats out there.
Stardust Wrote:DS80, there are 100's of philosophy's and there is no way to tell you what is best. It is 100% based on personnell. It depends on the type of players that you have that will dictate your style of basketball. I coached AAU Basketball for years, and rarely did I play the same style more than two years in a row due to the type of players that I had. Unless you are having a tryout squad where you can pick the players that operate in the style of basketball that you want to run, then you need to keep your philosphy based around the basics and adapt to the players abilities.

I have leaned towards pusing the ball and playing a motion offense. On defense, my preference was a 2-2-1 defense, but that is because I had incredibly athletic players. Got get the Dean Smith book and leanr about every style thats out there.

Thanks! What is the 2-2-1? I don't think I've heard of that defense. Why exactly was that a good defense to use?
Stardust Wrote:DS80, there are 100's of philosophy's and there is no way to tell you what is best. It is 100% based on personnell. It depends on the type of players that you have that will dictate your style of basketball. I coached AAU Basketball for years, and rarely did I play the same style more than two years in a row due to the type of players that I had. Unless you are having a tryout squad where you can pick the players that operate in the style of basketball that you want to run, then you need to keep your philosphy based around the basics and adapt to the players abilities.

2 2 1 press? I've never heard of a 2 2 1 half court defense.
Aslan Wrote:2 2 1 press? I've never heard of a 2 2 1 half court defense.

Pick up at half court. Very common High School press. Ask teams who play Mason Co or Holmes how well it works
Stardust Wrote:Pick up at half court. Very common High School press. Ask teams who play Mason Co or Holmes how well it works

Gotcha. I like the 221 and 1211 presses.
Depends if you have the personnel to press and who your playing though.
3-2 Zone... In the words of Coach Boone "It's just like novocaine, give it time it always works!"
Aslan Wrote:Gotcha. I like the 221 and 1211 presses.

I like this defense as well.
I'm not a fan of any half court zone defenses. If you play zone defense your pretty much saying you can't match up with the other team or your not a good defensive team. A lot of times teams will play zone because they have a bad defender or 2 on the court and they try to hide them in a zone. Now if you are the inferior team, or very undersized, I can see playing zone, other wise no. I love teams that defend the whole court, try to force turnovers with a press and speed up the game, and fall back man if the press is broken.
What does everyone think about the "box and 1" defense and the "triangle and 2" defense?

Also, does anyone know how the triangle offense works? (I think the Los Angeles Lakers use this offense.)
Not a fan of gimmick defenses unless your seriously over matched, which is 99% of the time there used.
Aslan Wrote:I'm not a fan of any half court zone defenses. If you play zone defense your pretty much saying you can't match up with the other team or your not a good defensive team. A lot of times teams will play zone because they have a bad defender or 2 on the court and they try to hide them in a zone. Now if you are the inferior team, or very undersized, I can see playing zone, other wise no. I love teams that defend the whole court, try to force turnovers with a press and speed up the game, and fall back man if the press is broken.

Or if you have a lead and you want to slow it down and eat some clock it works good for that to. But I like your style of coaching. I love the in your face make em' turn it over style of play.
the 2-2-1 half-court zone trap is a fast break defense. When you have the right personnell, this creates turnovers but is very dangerous to teams who can get the ball to the baseline. This defense is for teams that can score in transition. Don't confuse this defense as a defense to slow down games. Like I said, this is a staple of Mason County and Holmes.
Deathstar.. I play in leagues and the team I play with we usually either do a 1-3-1.. works out pretty good.. Usually have your quickest and best defense player up top.. Guys on the wing can anticipate passes to the wing or the middle. And just a simple man-to-man... Man-to-man will only work of course if your players can match up with theirs.. That doesn't mean put a 220lb. guy on their point guard either.. I hate 2-3 zone, but we run it a lot too.
Aslan Wrote:I'm not a fan of any half court zone defenses. If you play zone defense your pretty much saying you can't match up with the other team or your not a good defensive team. A lot of times teams will play zone because they have a bad defender or 2 on the court and they try to hide them in a zone. Now if you are the inferior team, or very undersized, I can see playing zone, other wise no. I love teams that defend the whole court, try to force turnovers with a press and speed up the game, and fall back man if the press is broken.

:Thumbs::Thumbs: I agree 100% with this post.
MVP2 Wrote::Thumbs::Thumbs: I agree 100% with this post.

MVP2 Please, you play half court defenses all the time. :blabbermo