Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Cincinnati Reds 1st in the central at All-Star break!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
The Reds own a 1 game lead on the Cardinals in the Central division going into the All-Star break. Looking at the future schedules, the Cards seem to have a rough set of games for the oncoming month whereas the Reds have a lighter schedule. With that kind of scheduling, the Reds can hopefully push out a lead in the central. By August 1st, the Reds should have around a 5 game lead and hopefully stay healthy and make a trade or two to get a solid bat or arm in the bullpen.
This is the break down for the Reds season going into the All-Star break:
49 wins 41 losses with a .544 win percentage.
Home: 27-19
Road: 22-22
Scotty doesn't know Wrote:The Reds own a 1 game lead on the Cardinals in the Central division going into the All-Star break. Looking at the future schedules, the Cards seem to have a rough set of games for the oncoming month whereas the Reds have a lighter schedule. With that kind of scheduling, the Reds can hopefully push out a lead in the central. By August 1st, the Reds should have around a 5 game lead and hopefully stay healthy and make a trade or two to get a solid bat or arm in the bullpen.
This is the break down for the Reds season going into the All-Star break:
49 wins 41 losses with a .544 win percentage.
Home: 27-19
Road: 22-22

The Bats has moved Chapman into the bullpen. I foresee the Reds bringing up Chapman the same way the Rays used Price the season the Rays went to the World Series.
I hope your predicition is right and we do not have a typical Reds' swoon.
The Reds have the easiest schedule of any contender in baseball with only 25 games against teams with winning records over the remainder of the season.
They always lack in the second half lets remember that everyone
Stardust Wrote:The Reds have the easiest schedule of any contender in baseball with only 25 games against teams with winning records over the remainder of the season.

I would say, they wont be tested and all of that but I think point I just want my team to be there in the playoffs!!!
I really hope the Reds make a deal to get a new lead-off man specially a left-fielder.

I mean I like Jonny Gomes energy...but sometimes he's a little impatient and isn't the best defensively.

Someone like Scott Posednik or David DeJesus from the Royals would be perfect fits.

I also wouldn't mind Hanley Ramirez from the Marlins...although I'm probably dreaming.
Scotty doesn't know Wrote:I would say, they wont be tested and all of that but I think point I just want my team to be there in the playoffs!!!

The coolest thing about this is that the Reds are in first place in middle July at the All-Star break. How long has it been since we could say that? I would be thrilled with a playoff appearance also.
Smile Big Grin Smile....Now lets make them playoffs!!!
i believe it will all go down the tubes the 2nd half of the season! that's about how it is every year with them! they just need a whole new team, new management, new players, new everything
Strikeout King Wrote:i believe it will all go down the tubes the 2nd half of the season! that's about how it is every year with them! they just need a whole new team, new management, new players, new everything

Kinda like your C.ompletly U-seless B.-y S-eptember. Im jk bro but this is our year.
MVP2 Wrote:Kinda like your C.ompletly U-seless B.-y S-eptember. Im jk bro but this is our year.

oh ill admit the Cubs do need to do something, hopefully they trade Derek Lee, Koskue Fukudome, Ted Lilly, and others like the reports and sources say. if the Cubs Don't Get Things Turned Around In The 2nd Half, i hope the Red Legs Get To Go To The Playoffs, but the question i have is can they keep up the good success? they've been known to start out good and the 2nd half they go down the tubes
J-Rod Wrote:I really hope the Reds make a deal to get a new lead-off man specially a left-fielder.

I mean I like Jonny Gomes energy...but sometimes he's a little impatient and isn't the best defensively.

Someone like Scott Posednik or David DeJesus from the Royals would be perfect fits.

I also wouldn't mind Hanley Ramirez from the Marlins...although I'm probably dreaming.

I like this thinking....I love Phillips but his place should not be lead off man in the lineup. Dusty has used a few different combos and some has been interesting to see but Phillips at lead-off is a desperate stretch. Like you said a guy like Posednik or DeJesus would be nice but the only thing is for Posednik, the White Sox are deep in the playoff race and probably would not part with him unless they desperately need pitching.

If the Reds did get Scott Posednik, there would be this lil gal around the ballpark every night: Scott Posednik's wife
<http://www.hogwild.net/images/Misc/lisa-dergan-scott-podsednik-wife-pool.jpg>

Anyways back to the main point. David DeJesus would actually be a pretty good chance. Like you said, the Reds are in a desperate need of a consistent bat and I might even say that it is hurting the team having guys like Bruce and Stubbs out there every night dropping their averages. They more than likely will not loss playing time.... So look at the Shortstop in Cabrera. His average is slacking for what we got him and needed him for and I think that was the lean for who would be the lead off man all of the year but his offense has made him only a liability. To me Janish has shown more to play that position and has taken advantage of his chances at the plate.

DeJesus would fit in nicely in the outfield and provide that nice lead off bat, allowing Bruce and Stubbs to possibly have a stretch of rest and maybe split games. Either way we go, the Reds are buyers and should be very aggressive to acquire a bat and maybe a big arm.
Posednik is a Royal man...I'm just sayin'

Him & DeJesus are both Royals.

Kansas City has pretty much said Posednik is open market...DeJesus they will probably wait to see where the team stands as a Deadline approaches.
Wow. Everybody can over look my comments on Posednik!! I totally over looked that both of the guys are on the Royals. For some reason, I was thinking that Posednik was still on the White Sox, hints the opinion that they would not part with him. However, now seeing that he is actually on the Royals, I think that he is a EXTREMELY good guy to look into for the Reds.
Strikeout King Wrote:i believe it will all go down the tubes the 2nd half of the season! that's about how it is every year with them! they just need a whole new team, new management, new players, new everything

The Reds need new players? :dontthink

Check out their roster, there are several good players on the team this year. Joey Votto (All-Star, leading N.L. in homers at break), Brandon Phillips (All-Star, Gold Glover), Scott Rolen, Jay Bruce, Jonny Gomes, Johnny Cueto, Edinson Volquez, Mike Leake. No way should they gut the roster at this point.

Actually, the Reds have a very young team overall. The front office has been building the team the right way, through good drafting and smart trades. This seems to be the year it all pays off.
More Cowbell Wrote:The Reds need new players? :dontthink

Check out their roster, there are several good players on the team this year. Joey Votto (All-Star, leading N.L. in homers at break), Brandon Phillips (All-Star, Gold Glover), Scott Rolen, Jay Bruce, Jonny Gomes, Johnny Cueto, Edinson Volquez, Mike Leake. No way should they gut the roster at this point.

Actually, the Reds have a very young team overall. The front office has been building the team the right way, through good drafting and smart trades. This seems to be the year it all pays off.

This team has the perfect balance right now with the big time talented youth like Votto and Leake, to the vets in Arroyo and Rolen, they are very balanced across the board and only lack consistent hitting from a couple of important guys (Stubbs and Bruce). No way do they need to "gut" the roster. Maybe a tweek here and there like a big time lead off man or one big arm for the bullpen, but that is it!
Whats the possiblity of it being a Reds-Braves Divisional Championship this year?
Captain Backdoor Wrote:Whats the possiblity of it being a Reds-Braves Divisional Championship this year?

Braves definitely have the tougher schedule, but for Bobby Cox, I hope the Braves represent the East
I agree Dusty. I would love to see a Braves-Reds Divisonal Finals but it is going to be hard for Atlanta in the 2nd half of the season. I think I read the other day that this is Chipper's last season as well isn't it?
Captain Backdoor Wrote:I agree Dusty. I would love to see a Braves-Reds Divisonal Finals but it is going to be hard for Atlanta in the 2nd half of the season. I think I read the other day that this is Chipper's last season as well isn't it?

That's right, I did forget about that. Two CLASS individuals. I'll pull for the Braves, but the pitching must stay consitent.
I will say that Chipper is one of the few that is loyal to his team I think he's been in the league for 13 years and he has never left Atlanta. Chipper has always been one of my favorite players. He will be missed greatly.
More Cowbell Wrote:The Reds need new players? :dontthink

they do need to get rid of Arroyo, Harang, Homer Bailey, Chad Cordero and maybe a few others.
Strikeout King Wrote:they do need to get rid of Arroyo, Harang, Homer Bailey, Chad Cordero and maybe a few others.

They need to keep Arroyo. He is an innings eater, has had double digit victories every season since joining the Reds. Definately get rid of Bailey. Either get rid of Harang or move him to the bullpen. Who is Chad Cordero? Did you mean Francisco Cordero? I did not see Chad Cordero on the roster.
Atlanta's pretty good...especially at home.

I think they have the best home record in the Major's.

Wait till Jason Heyward comes back.
J-Rod Wrote:Atlanta's pretty good...especially at home.

I think they have the best home record in the Major's.

Wait till Jason Heyward comes back.

?
Jarons Wrote:They need to keep Arroyo. He is an innings eater, has had double digit victories every season since joining the Reds. Definately get rid of Bailey. Either get rid of Harang or move him to the bullpen. Who is Chad Cordero? Did you mean Francisco Cordero? I did not see Chad Cordero on the roster.

I do not think that Arroyo should be shopped just because of his leadership and durability for the team, just like you said. As for Bailey, Im still not completely done will him, he is a fantastic guy to have as a fifth starter if someone was to get hurt. I think that he COULD be utilized in the bullpen as a big arm along side Harang but if a nice player was to come along I guess both can potentially. Now for Cordero, Im to the point where I DO NOT want him pitching in clutch situations. He is so unreliable past his prime and I think that we can not have this many blown saves and dropped games going down the stretch. Put him in the bullpen, no one will take his contract and money so we have to get SOMETHING out of him. Then put Bray in the closer role.
Captain Backdoor Wrote:?

He's Atlanta's starting Right Fielder...

He's very good....on the DL right now.