Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Kentucky football fires special-teams coach Steve Ortmayer
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
LEXINGTON, Ky. -- Steve Ortmayer, the University of Kentucky[Image: 2_bing.gif] football team's special-teams coach for the past seven seasons, has been let go, UK spokesman Tony Neely confirmed Thursday night.

http://www.courier-journal.com/article/2...e+Ortmayer
I hate to hear this-Coach Ortmeyer is a great guy and deserves better.
Wow this is surprising. But when you think about the last couple of years the Cats have struggled with their kicking game and have given up a lot of points on special teams. I also hear Ortmayer has very little to do with recruiting and that will not work on Joker's staff.
Brooks4Prez Wrote:Wow this is surprising. But when you think about the last couple of years the Cats have struggled with their kicking game and have given up a lot of points on special teams. I also hear Ortmayer has very little to do with recruiting and that will not work on Joker's staff.

Coach Ortmayer had one year left on his contract- I think the "powerhouse Kentucky football program" could have survived and let the man go out with some dignity. I'm not that impressed with Joker quite honestly, some of his play calling last year seemed to be really lacking. What play calling mistakes cost UK points? Some want to criticize the special teams, but according to courier-journal.com-
In 2004, UK set a school record by blocking nine opponent kicks.
In 2005-UK broke school records for kickoff-return and punt return average, and UK was the only school ranked among the nations top five in both kickoff and punt returns.
In 2006 UK was the only program to rank among the top 10 nationally in both those categories, leading the nation in punt returns.

When has the UK football program ever lead the nation in any category?
BIGREDDAWG Wrote:Coach Ortmayer had one year left on his contract- I think the "powerhouse Kentucky football program" could have survived and let the man go out with some dignity. I'm not that impressed with Joker quite honestly, some of his play calling last year seemed to be really lacking. What play calling mistakes cost UK points? Some want to criticize the special teams, but according to courier-journal.com-
In 2005-UK broke school records for kickoff-return and punt return average, and UK was the only school ranked among the nations top five in both kickoff and punt returns.
In 2006 UK was the only program to rank among the top 10 nationally in both those categories, leading the nation in punt returns.

You realize its 2010 right?
Wildcatk23 Wrote:You realize its 2010 right?

And?
BIGREDDAWG Wrote:Coach Ortmayer had one year left on his contract- I think the "powerhouse Kentucky football program" could have survived and let the man go out with some dignity. I'm not that impressed with Joker quite honestly, some of his play calling last year seemed to be really lacking. What play calling mistakes cost UK points? Some want to criticize the special teams, but according to courier-journal.com-

For the last 3 years Kentucky fans have held their breath every time the Wildcats lined up for a punt or a field goal attempt because so many were blocked.
Brooks4Prez Wrote:For the last 3 years Kentucky fans have held their breath every time the Wildcats lined up for a punt or a field goal attempt because so many were blocked.

This is true.
Brooks4Prez Wrote:For the last 3 years Kentucky fans have held their breath every time the Wildcats lined up for a punt or a field goal attempt because so many were blocked.

I don't think that's what got them beat by Tennessee the last 3 years....bad play calling maybe, but not blocked kicks.
BIGREDDAWG Wrote:I don't think that's what got them beat by Tennessee the last 3 years....bad play calling maybe, but not blocked kicks.
You must have missed the '07 game.....
The days of people hanging around on the UK staff just because they have been there for a while are gone. If you can't coach and recruit Joker isn't going to have you on his staff.
Enter The Dragon Wrote:You must have missed the '07 game.....

Watched it on TV-If I remember it was TN-52/Ky-50. That's about all I do remember except that TN had 3 picks. I really don't care one way or the other, my only point is it's a shame that a man who has coached as long as Ortmayer would be fired by someone who has made as many or more mistakes when it comes to coaching. I think the football program could have survived one more year with Ortmayer. I have met both Ortmayer and Joker and I can tell you that Ortmayer is a great guy and in my opinion he deserved better. But honestly, I really could care less about Kentucky football, but I do think what goes around comes around. If Rich Brooks thought Ortmayer could coach evidently he could coach. He is an older man with a lot of experience in other ways and that goes a long way.
I feel this was a move to get a younger staff to better relate to the players
I feel this is a move to replace a coach who wasnt doing his job.
To all of you with your opinions both good and bad I respect that. Coach Ortmayer was a Great man and a Great coach. He will be missed dearly out here in Southern California. From all of the coaches here in southern california that i have talked to I am sure it will hurt them in recruiting. Ortmayer had the number one JC football running back in the Nation visiting to Kentukcy during the season, but with his son now on staff I am sure there is a chance that could all change, but is likely not to because they are both class acts. I talked to his son and he says he is still pushing the back to Kentucky, but you never know what the head coach will do. Coach Ortmayer is one of the best recruiters that I have had a change to meet over my many years of football out here. I will miss his visits and our long conversations. I understand why they let him go every coach wants his own people but the matter in which they did it is not very professional. They should have just fired him in January so he could get another job. I guess they didnt want to do that because there might have been a chance he would have gone to another SEC school. I know he will bounce back and get another job where people will be happy to have him. Remember over the last seven years the special teams have perfomed the best out of all 3 phases. If it wasnt for the Special teams Brooks might not have ever gotten a fourth year. The special teams held them together for the first 3 years. They also played a huge role in wins against Georgia both times, and not to mention owned Florida the first 3 years. Meyer has done a good job of paying them back. If you think of Special Teams as scoring only you dont understand football. Special Teams is about field position. Well good Luck Kentucky Football and fans and we will see if it was the right move in about 4 months.
SoCalJCFootball Wrote:To all of you with your opinions both good and bad I respect that. Coach Ortmayer was a Great man and a Great coach. He will be missed dearly out here in Southern California. From all of the coaches here in southern california that i have talked to I am sure it will hurt them in recruiting. Ortmayer had the number one JC football running back in the Nation visiting to Kentukcy during the season, but with his son now on staff I am sure there is a chance that could all change, but is likely not to because they are both class acts. I talked to his son and he says he is still pushing the back to Kentucky, but you never know what the head coach will do. Coach Ortmayer is one of the best recruiters that I have had a change to meet over my many years of football out here. I will miss his visits and our long conversations. I understand why they let him go every coach wants his own people but the matter in which they did it is not very professional. They should have just fired him in January so he could get another job. I guess they didnt want to do that because there might have been a chance he would have gone to another SEC school. I know he will bounce back and get another job where people will be happy to have him. Remember over the last seven years the special teams have perfomed the best out of all 3 phases. If it wasnt for the Special teams Brooks might not have ever gotten a fourth year. The special teams held them together for the first 3 years. They also played a huge role in wins against Georgia both times, and not to mention owned Florida the first 3 years. Meyer has done a good job of paying them back. If you think of Special Teams as scoring only you dont understand football. Special Teams is about field position. Well good Luck Kentucky Football and fans and we will see if it was the right move in about 4 months.

:Thumbs:
SoCalJCFootball Wrote:To all of you with your opinions both good and bad I respect that. Coach Ortmayer was a Great man and a Great coach. He will be missed dearly out here in Southern California. From all of the coaches here in southern california that i have talked to I am sure it will hurt them in recruiting. Ortmayer had the number one JC football running back in the Nation visiting to Kentukcy during the season, but with his son now on staff I am sure there is a chance that could all change, but is likely not to because they are both class acts. I talked to his son and he says he is still pushing the back to Kentucky, but you never know what the head coach will do. Coach Ortmayer is one of the best recruiters that I have had a change to meet over my many years of football out here. I will miss his visits and our long conversations. I understand why they let him go every coach wants his own people but the matter in which they did it is not very professional. They should have just fired him in January so he could get another job. I guess they didnt want to do that because there might have been a chance he would have gone to another SEC school. I know he will bounce back and get another job where people will be happy to have him. Remember over the last seven years the special teams have perfomed the best out of all 3 phases. If it wasnt for the Special teams Brooks might not have ever gotten a fourth year. The special teams held them together for the first 3 years. They also played a huge role in wins against Georgia both times, and not to mention owned Florida the first 3 years. Meyer has done a good job of paying them back. If you think of Special Teams as scoring only you dont understand football. Special Teams is about field position. Well good Luck Kentucky Football and fans and we will see if it was the right move in about 4 months.

A good sign that he's a very good special teams coach!

I wish him the best of luck wherever he goes to.