Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: 63rd District Ratings
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
1. Russell- This is a break out year for Kidwell's crew. Perimeter scoring, Davidson inside and a new point gd. Things will be hot in the Furnace.

2. Lewis County- TSmith and Riley best one two punch in the district. Also the host the District Tourney this year. Having Hampton on the bench is a PLUS.

3. Greenup Co- Lots returning. Size, athletes, and are defending champs. BUT the Muskies have had a rough summer and seem to have problems brewing in Lloyd

4. Raceland- Losing Darius Jackson to Greenup hurts but Floyd does a good job. Maybe a case of addition by subtraction in Ram Land.
Who is Russell's new PG?
Unless I'm mistaken, Russell doesn't have any seniors. Perhaps I'm wrong.
Jakelegg, I'm curious who you think will be the scorers for Russell. I thought they graduated several last year, including starters. Not sure how you think that they'll be atop Greenup.
Russell returns Skaggs, Hunt, and Davidson from the starting lineup a year ago. Skaggs and Hunt will be sophomores and Davidson a Junior.
The Reisner kid for Raceland could be a solid player, doesn't play with his back to the basket well. If Jackson leaves, I think Coach Floyd will want to try to get that kid down on the block.
On paper GC has to be the favorite with college type size. Lewis has two of the top players in the region returning. Russell will be better and Raceland has some players returning. Seeding will be vital and the district will be played at the Lions Den. Look for an exciting season in the 63rd.
I can't wait to see what unfolds for Greenup. Could be regional champs, could be one of the most overrated faceplants in recent 16th region memory.
I've heard alot of hype this summer about Russell. Honestly don't know much about them. Think that Lewis will be in contention now that their PG is back. I also wonder how Raceland will look. Especially if Jackson moves north.
Did a little digging about Russell. According to one of the fathers I know there, he says that they will likely start a junior in Davidson and three sophomores in Skaggs, Hunt, and the new point guard transfer from Mayfield. Another junior has started over the summer but he said that they have one senior who was injured in track and another junior football player who broke his hand. So, sounds like they'll still be young but those players have alot of experience, especially Skaggs.
I also did a little digging about Jackson moving. And that one is a bit more unclear. I was told that he made it clear before school was out that he wasn't planning on returning to Raceland. So, I suppose we'll find out around the middle of August if that's true.:popcorn:
My guess is
1. Greenup
2. Russell
3. Lewis
4. Raceland

As for Talent:
1. Greenup
2. Lewis and Russell
3. Raceland

As for Coaching:
1. Lewis and Russell
2. Raceland
3. Greenup

As for Drama (or lack thereof)
1. Russell
2. Raceland
3. Lewis
29. Greenup
The new kid at Russell's name is Googie Haynes from what I've been told. Jackson hasnt officially enrolled at Greenup yet but plans on doing so. The players at Greenup are none too fond of the new coach from what I've been told. Zach Zornes, a senior at Lewis County has apparently been surprising many and playing well as that other post guy next to Riley. Pretty good for a kid that played strictly JV last year. Raceland is probably not going to make much noise but dont expect them to roll over come season time, especially when playing Russell and GC.
LClion4life Wrote:The new kid at Russell's name is Googie Haynes from what I've been told. Jackson hasnt officially enrolled at Greenup yet but plans on doing so. The players at Greenup are none too fond of the new coach from what I've been told. Zach Zornes, a senior at Lewis County has apparently been surprising many and playing well as that other post guy next to Riley. Pretty good for a kid that played strictly JV last year. Raceland is probably not going to make much noise but dont expect them to roll over come season time, especially when playing Russell and GC.

Don't you mean what you read?:lmao:
The best point guard for Kidwell is Jacob Porter. Hunt and Skaggs will benefit from having Jacob run the point. Haynes is a good player but Porter is the truer of the pgs
FrankenMonkey Wrote:The best point guard for Kidwell is Jacob Porter. Hunt and Skaggs will benefit from having Jacob run the point. Haynes is a good player but Porter is the truer of the pgs

But will he be on the bench and the new transfer PG take over???
Gold Charger Wrote:But will he be on the bench and the new transfer PG take over???

Although I can't claim to know the Russell personnel intimately, I do know one thing for sure, and that is that Kidwell will play his best players. But I have a couple of questions.
First, do either of these point guards have any varsity experience?
Second, what grade are they in?
And last, is Russell that deep that the two point guards can't play at the same time?
OU812 Wrote:Although I can't claim to know the Russell personnel intimately, I do know one thing for sure, and that is that Kidwell will play his best players. But I have a couple of questions.
First, do either of these point guards have any varsity experience?
Second, what grade are they in?
And last, is Russell that deep that the two point guards can't play at the same time?

All valid questions, I hope someone close to the program can answer.
I don't have any inside knowledge, but I do follow the Russell program as closely as I can and here is what I can gather. Porter is a sophomore and didn't log significant varsity minutes last year. I believe the new player is named Googie Hayes. He is a sophomore as well and is from Mayfield. According to the KHSAA site, it looks like he played a lot for Mayfield's varsity team last year as a freshman (assuming, of course, that "Googie" is a nickname and his real name is Shaquan).

I agree in that I would expect Merle Kidwell to play the best players regardless of who they are. He is a good coach. If this new guy is good, then that is an obvious boost to Russell's team this year. Skaggs and Hunt are both good wing players. Davidson is very good in the low post. I say put this guy at point guard, find a 5th player who only wants to rebound, and Russell should be very competitive next season.
ryanparker Wrote:I don't have any inside knowledge, but I do follow the Russell program as closely as I can and here is what I can gather. Porter is a sophomore and didn't log significant varsity minutes last year. I believe the new player is named Googie Hayes. He is a sophomore as well and is from Mayfield. According to the KHSAA site, it looks like he played a lot for Mayfield's varsity team last year as a freshman (assuming, of course, that "Googie" is a nickname and his real name is Shaquan).

I agree in that I would expect Merle Kidwell to play the best players regardless of who they are. He is a good coach. If this new guy is good, then that is an obvious boost to Russell's team this year. Skaggs and Hunt are both good wing players. Davidson is very good in the low post. I say put this guy at point guard, find a 5th player who only wants to rebound, and Russell should be very competitive next season.

So that would leave Porter coming off the bench?
Gold Charger Wrote:So that would leave Porter coming off the bench?
Are you asking like that would be a bad thing? And again, can they not play at the same time? I'm either confused or trying to figure out why we are trying to stir up drama here. If it's the latter, we can travel a few miles north and check out my beloved Musketeers.

I really don't know who would be better between the two and I don't know that it really would matter all that much anyway. Does it really matter who would start and who would come off the bench? I'm sure both will get adequate playing time if they are both capable. I was just pointing out that it appears as if the new player played a lot as a freshman at Mayfield...so I hope that means he's good.

In my opinion, Russell has a chance to be pretty good the next couple of years with Skaggs, Hunt, and Davidson leading the way. I'm pretty sure Skaggs started as a 7th grader (if he didn't start, then he played a lot of minutes) so he's coming into his 4th year of varsity playing time. If he continues to progress at the rate he has so far, then we are approaching the time when he should be one of the better players in the region. Other than Skaggs, Hunt, and Davidson, though, I just hope whichever players fill in the rest of the minutes are good role players.
I was in attendance for the Greenup/Russell game last season at the Greenhouse. GC won in overtime. The freshman from Russell hit a bankshot to put in overtime. Was one of the most exciting games I can remember in recent 63rd district memory. It was a huge crowd. I recall telling my brother-in-law that Russell's best players were very young and they'd be a force in the future. I hope we have some games with the same excitement this season.
Yeah, we had a game at Lewis County last year against Russell and it was "Retro Night". We played the game in the old high school gym. It was absolutely packed. The small size of the gym and loud crowd made it nearly impossible to hear yourself think. Kurt Cropper of LC hit a 3 with 7 seconds left to put it into OT where we went on to win the game. It was one of the most exciting games I've ever watched personally, as well was the 63rd Championship last year between Greenup County and Lewis County. Lets hope that these 3 schools fight for the 63rd just as hard and have some classics again this coming year.
LClion4life Wrote:Yeah, we had a game at Lewis County last year against Russell and it was "Retro Night". We played the game in the old high school gym. It was absolutely packed. The small size of the gym and loud crowd made it nearly impossible to hear yourself think. Kurt Cropper of LC hit a 3 with 7 seconds left to put it into OT where we went on to win the game. It was one of the most exciting games I've ever watched personally, as well was the 63rd Championship last year between Greenup County and Lewis County. Lets hope that these 3 schools fight for the 63rd just as hard and have some classics again this coming year.

Did the 63rd lose a team? The first post had four teams listed and you said 3 schools fighting for the 63rd.
Raceland won't be competing for the district IMO. The other 3 teams are far more talented and experienced.
Dont count Raceland out just yet, I hear that there is a possible teaching position open for a secondary ed teacher.
LClion4life Wrote:Raceland won't be competing for the district IMO. The other 3 teams are far more talented and experienced.

They may be. Remember a 4 win Russell team made to regionals a couple of years ago. My point is don't count anyone out upsets may happen.
i like Russell to win the 63rd. After watching all teams play last year and what each team has coming back. GC has the most talent, but right now seem to be a mess, if they get it straightened out.... watch out. I think Lewis is a wildcard. With the point guard back they may make some noise.
Russell will be better than some people give them credit. "The Drama" may sink Russell this year. Parents unhappy with the "recruit"(He didn't just show up) And jealousy between players over shots. Good luck to Russell, hope you surprise some folks
ryanparker Wrote:I really don't know who would be better between the two and I don't know that it really would matter all that much anyway. Does it really matter who would start and who would come off the bench? I'm sure both will get adequate playing time if they are both capable. I was just pointing out that it appears as if the new player played a lot as a freshman at Mayfield...so I hope that means he's good.

In my opinion, Russell has a chance to be pretty good the next couple of years with Skaggs, Hunt, and Davidson leading the way. I'm pretty sure Skaggs started as a 7th grader (if he didn't start, then he played a lot of minutes) so he's coming into his 4th year of varsity playing time. If he continues to progress at the rate he has so far, then we are approaching the time when he should be one of the better players in the region. Other than Skaggs, Hunt, and Davidson, though, I just hope whichever players fill in the rest of the minutes are good role players.

Russell will have several kids who will fill a role for them, Porter for one, Mckenzie if he plays, Bailey, Dehoff and Parsley could see quality minutes as well. Skaggs is definitly Russell's top player and I think top 5 in region. Davidson can be hard to handle inside, Hunt is a question mark. Don't know anything about the new kid.

63rd District
1. Greenup
2. Russell/Lewis
4. Raceland
Pages: 1 2