Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: 8th Region 2010/2011
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
What are your predictions for the 8th region next year? Here are mine:

29th District:
1. South Oldham
2. Oldham County
3. North Oldham
4. Trimble County

30th District:
1. Anderson County
2. Martha Layne Collins
3. Spencer County
4. Shelby County
5. Eminence

31st District:
1. Owen County
2. Carroll County
3. Henry County
4. Gallatin County

32nd District:
1. Simon Kenton
2. Walton-Verona
3. Grant County
4. Williamstown

Overall:
1. Anderson County
2. South Oldham
3. Simon Kenton
4. Walton-Verona
5. Martha Layne Collins
6. Owen County
7. Oldham County
8. Carroll County
9. North Oldham
10. Grant County
11. Spencer County
12. Henry County
13. Gallatin County
14. Trimble County
15. Shelby County
16. Williamstown
17. Eminence
Right now: Anderson, Walton, South Oldham, Owen are the top contenders. ML Collins, Simon Kenton, and Oldham are just below that group.

I think Owen is the surprise team. I have seen them play this summer and they have looked really good. Gayheart looks much improved, and that's a scary thing.

Not sure exactly what Simon has to replace those departed Seniors. If they get solid play, Wainscott could carry them.

Anderson is still super young, although very talented. They are playing a killer schedule next year so if they can keep it together they will be in a great place to make another run at the 8th.

The 8th will be much better next year as far as where the level of talent ranks in the state. Anderson will be a top 20 preseason team I would think. The rest of the contenders will be just outside that range, but overall the level of play in the region is going up.
magicfan217 Wrote:Right now: Anderson, Walton, South Oldham, Owen are the top contenders. ML Collins, Simon Kenton, and Oldham are just below that group.

I think Owen is the surprise team. I have seen them play this summer and they have looked really good. Gayheart looks much improved, and that's a scary thing.

Not sure exactly what Simon has to replace those departed Seniors. If they get solid play, Wainscott could carry them.

Anderson is still super young, although very talented. They are playing a killer schedule next year so if they can keep it together they will be in a great place to make another run at the 8th.

The 8th will be much better next year as far as where the level of talent ranks in the state. Anderson will be a top 20 preseason team I would think. The rest of the contenders will be just outside that range, but overall the level of play in the region is going up.

I agree. The 8th region was very young last year and should be much better this year.

Shelby County only has two returning high school players from last year, and neither of them played much at all. Shelby County does not have a very good feeder school either so it will take a while for Shelby County to rebuild.

Martha Layne Collins, however, has a good group returning and a great feeder school in Shelby West. Last year's 8th grade team went 24-2 and 7th grade went 20-4. Their starting lineup will probably look something like this:

G - Leeara Cardwell (Jr.)
G - Chelsea Slaughter (So.)
G - Addie Fow (Sr.)
G/F - Aaliyah Wells (So.)
C - Shayla Bolin (Sr.)

Aaliyah Wells averaged 11 points and 11 rebounds last year and Leeara Cardwell averaged 7 points and 3 rebounds a game. Both players played excellent during the end of the season. I think that Martha Layne Collins is a lock for 2nd place in the district and could contend for the regional title next year, but I think that either Anderson County, South Oldham, or Walton-Verona will make it to state next year.
I agree the region as a whole will be much improved. Right now I think it is a two horse race between Walton and Anderson. With South, Owen and Simon being top level teams.

It should be a great year for the 8th. And, a lot of the better players are still underclassmen.

Just for fun my rankings:

29th:
1. South (Solid team and Whitfield can play)
2. North (Improving program with a very solid player in Bryant)
3. Oldham (2nd year of the run and fun)
4. Trimble (Very well coached and will surprised a team or two)

30th:
1. Anderson (Defending champs with a lot coming back)
2. ML Collins (Wells is the real deal)
3. Spencer (Seems to be improving)
4. Shelby (May be a little down this year)
5. Emenience (Lack of numbers hurt them)

31st:
1. Owen (Gayheart and Neeley very good guard combo)
2. Gallatin (Return everyone including their coach)
3. Carroll (Great coach and Devine can score)
4. Henry (Kids will play hard for coach Gilley)

32nd:
1. Walton (Return starting 5 plus add some players back from injuries)
2. Simon (Great backcourt - frontcourt will be the question)
3. Williamstown (last year of the West and Wilhoit show - could make regional tournament this year)
4. Grant (Showing signs of progress, but can't get over the hump)