Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: 7 on 7
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Why does the KSHAA allow basketball to be played all summer but will not allow 7 on 7?
Learn the rules. No summer basketball games can occur after June 24th. 7 on 7 football games can begin on July 10.
I understand the rules. I meant why no 7 on 7 now. I know no games but they are practicing
Not a lot of teams will be able to use 7 on 7 as well as they used it in the past...I think it's a crock they let this happen in the state...football has made great strides in the state of Kentucky and then we go 2 steps backwards when we did this.
Bout time july 10th rolls around it will be time to start real summer practice on july 15th.
I've heard that 7 on 7 is very popular in WV & Ohio. I most definitely do not think it is a bad thing; however, I do wonder sometimes how beneficial it really is.
Interesting quotes from Joker about not having 7 on 7.
I can't understand what the big deal is with playing basketball NOW. The season does not start until December. The kids that only play basketball let have at it. But the kids that play football need to be focusing on football in June. I'm not that smart of a guy but what I Have observed over the years as to what playing basketball in the summer does is that you win a few more early games. The only ones that count are the ones you win in march. By that time the football schools have caught up with them (ie Bell last year in the Reg. toury). I am for ALL sports to be sucessful. The only way that that can happen is that the coaches TRY to work together as well as the KHSAA. And parents realize that there child is probabily NOT going to play for coach Cal but would stand a better chance playing for Joker. (No offense to the Basketball Fans)
PREACHER MAN Wrote:I can't understand what the big deal is with playing basketball NOW. The season does not start until December. The kids that only play basketball let have at it. But the kids that play football need to be focusing on football in June. I'm not that smart of a guy but what I Have observed over the years as to what playing basketball in the summer does is that you win a few more early games. The only ones that count are the ones you win in march. By that time the football schools have caught up with them (ie Bell last year in the Reg. toury). I am for ALL sports to be sucessful. The only way that that can happen is that the coaches TRY to work together as well as the KHSAA. And parents realize that there child is probabily NOT going to play for coach Cal but would stand a better chance playing for Joker. (No offense to the Basketball Fans)

You are exactly right! And, not only is Cal or Pitino going to come calling, but the same chances are that the head coaches from EKU, WKU, Murray State, Morehead St., Campbellsville, Georgetown, Centre College, Union College, Kentucky Wesleyan, etc aren't going to be calling for basketball prospects either.

I've done a little research to just prove the vast difference in the number of Kentucky kids that are playing football at our college and universities (Div.1-NAIA) versus those who, should I say, "don't" play basketball at the next level for these schools.

The breakdown is like this. For each of the following schools, there is the number of football and basketball players on the 2009-2010 rosters that are from the state. (Yes, I realize not all of these are full scholarship players, but neither are all, nor most of the basketball kids either)

Murray State

FB-12
BB-2

WKU

FB-39
BB-3

KY Wesleyan

FB-54
BB-3

Campbellsville

FB-72
BB-5

EKU

FB-24
BB-2

Louisville

FB-32
BB-2

Kentucky

FB-37
BB-3

Centre

FB-49
BB-10

Morehead St.

FB-26
BB-3

Union

FB-40
BB-10

Pikeville

FB-15
BB-6

Georgetown

FB-73
BB-8

All you basketball nazi's still living in denial, chew on those stone-cold facts for a bit.
Two points: IMHO the numbers of Kentucky kids playing football at out of state schools tapers off very dramatically. Only a select few Ky. kids are recruited to play football out of state, especially at the D1 level. Look at some of the smaller programs: Lambuth, Carson-Newman, Elon, Gardner-Webb, Appalachian State, etc.; you'll be hard-pressed to find 1-2 Ky. kids on the roster but scads of Ga., Ala., NC, Fla. and SC kids. More Ky. BB players are recruited out of state. And 22 kids can play football and there are 60-80 kids on a team so of course the numbers will be higher. The argument could be made that overly restrictive constraints on football practices in Ky is what ultimately dampens the development of quality players.
Tica Wrote:Two points: IMHO the numbers of Kentucky kids playing football at out of state schools tapers off very dramatically. Only a select few Ky. kids are recruited to play football out of state, especially at the D1 level. Look at some of the smaller programs: Lambuth, Carson-Newman, Elon, Gardner-Webb, Appalachian State, etc.; you'll be hard-pressed to find 1-2 Ky. kids on the roster but scads of Ga., Ala., NC, Fla. and SC kids. More Ky. BB players are recruited out of state. And 22 kids can play football and there are 60-80 kids on a team so of course the numbers will be higher. The argument could be made that overly restrictive constraints on football practices in Ky is what ultimately dampens the development of quality players.

Nobody is saying that KY is more of a football state than GA, ALA, NC, FLA and SC in terms of producing talent, but KY dang sure produces more football talent to it's in state schools. Fact of the matter of this, kids have a much, much, much better chance at going onto play college football than they do college basketball. Period. Unfortunately, theres many basketball coaches out there in the state that for some unknown reason fail to even recognize that.
How many kentucky kids made it to the nba in this state not a lot i tell you
That is a good point!