Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: UConn women calling on Kentucky star
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
The top senior-to-be high school girls' basketball player in the state - Rockcastle County's Sara Hammond - has a new school involved in her recruiting process: Connecticut.

The two-time defending national champions have called to inquire about Hammond's and will evaluate her this summer at several AAU events. UConn assistant coach Shea Ralph called and chatted with Hammond's AAU coaches last week, according to her father.

Interest in the 6-foot-2 Hammond has picked up after a sensational spring playing for the Kentucky Premier AAU team. She had a solid Deep South Tournament in April where HoopGurlz said she "caught the attention of everyone."

Hammond saw her national ranking soar to No. 27 and her college list grow.

Louisville has long been one of her top schools, along with Western Kentucky, Vanderbilt, South Carolina and West Virginia. But she's added Notre Dame, North Carolina, UCLA, Texas and Georgia to her list among several others.

And now UConn is calling.

"I thought I had narrowed it to five schools," Hammond said recently. "But with (other schools) now in the mix, it just make my decision tougher.

"I want to get through July and the AAU tournaments and then sometime before my first game (as a senior) make my decision."

Hammond said "location does matter," and noted she wants her family to be able to come and watch her play in college. She was a first-team All-State selection as a junior and is the leading candidate for Miss Basketball next season.

She also spoke highly of the Louisville program and coach Jeff Walz.

"Coach Walz and all of them (at Louisville) have been great," she said. "I have been there three or four times and am always in constant contact with them. That plays a big part now that I am a senior."

http://jodydemling.courier-journal.com/2...-star.html
Wow - UConn? That is awesome
way to Sara!!!:notworthy
this is awesome! i hope i get to see her play this season.
WOW! I'm glad to here that for a good kid.
Congradulations to Sara!!!!

I guess this ends the discussion i seen on another thread that was questioning if she was good enough for the elight schools to recruit or not. With RC at a Team camp in TN this week, maybe another elite school close to home will join the race.
Congrats Sara!!! I have watched you play and I think that you are simply an amazing player. Keep up the good work and I will watch you whereever you decide to go play college ball.
WOW! UCONN is a great girls program to be recruited by. I dont know this girl but way to go!
Congrats Sara Keep on Keepin' on.
Wow, congrats Sarah!

Coach Mitchell needs to get in gear!
BlackcatAlum Wrote:Wow, congrats Sarah!

Coach Mitchell needs to get in gear!

He was at alot of games last year. but UK still has not offered yet
I heard that she can play with the best of them. Good luck Sara!
here is a video from Derek forrest from wymt

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Xye1L6OK6g&feature=player_embedded"]YouTube- One on One sitdown with Rockcastle County's Sara Hammond[/nomedia]
Way to go Sara,this just goes to show that hard work and determination
are indeed factors to obtaining goals set.Im sure you have made many Rockcastle fans very proud of this announcement.:Clap::1:
Congrats to the kid! She has really worked hard to get to this point and it couldn't happen to a nicer girl! Good luck on choosing your school!:Thumbs:
cremedelacreme Wrote:kendall noble is the best nuff said

I am not disputing that Kendall Noble is an excellent player but, this topic is about one of the better players in the state let's not start things like this. Sara has had to work extremely hard to earn all the spotlight she gotten. Please don't hinder that with things like this.
Blog entries about Sarah from a Connecticut newspaper:

http://elmcitytoeaglevillenhr.blogspot.c...%20Hammond