Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Hatfield-McCoy Bowl
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
It's about time for this isnt it? Any word or roster or a coach?
Betsy Layne Coaching Staff will be doing the all star game this year.

I dont know anything else.
Is this a preseason game?
Summer Game. Its usually played in May/June
Stardust Wrote:Is this a preseason game?

they been playing this game for a while its the seniors from last year from KY and from WV.. WV winning the the last 5 0r 6 in a row, may be 7 not for sure
They might as well quit playing this game, it's getting to be a disgrace to the name of football. It's a senior-bowl between the "best" players from EKY and those from SW WV that lock it up in July at Matewan. I honestly think WV puts more emphasis on this game and gets players from outside the recruiting area (or has a much larger area than that of KY) and practices more than just 5 times for the game. The last KY victory was back in 2003 (when I played in it).
cuppett777 Wrote:they been playing this game for a while its the seniors from last year from KY and from WV.. WV winning the the last 5 0r 6 in a row, may be 7 not for sure

Thanks. Do many kids headed to play college ball even participate in this?
The game has lost alot of luster over the past few years simply because its not been all players from eastern Kentukcy or southern WV as players come from all over and lets face Kentucky has not been very compeitive. Isnstead of alway playing at Matewan the game should rotate between Ky and WV. It use to be a good game to attend but you couldn't pay me to attend now.
IRISH4 Wrote:They might as well quit playing this game, it's getting to be a disgrace to the name of football. It's a senior-bowl between the "best" players from EKY and those from SW WV that lock it up in July at Matewan. I honestly think WV puts more emphasis on this game and gets players from outside the recruiting area (or has a much larger area than that of KY) and practices more than just 5 times for the game. The last KY victory was back in 2003 (when I played in it).

Totally agree with this. It seems as though this event has become a joke. Yeah, wv does seem to put more of an emphasis on this game than Ky., but maybe thats the fault of the powers that be on Ky's side of the river. However, in the beginning it should have been agreed upon to rotate this event each yr. Belfry has more than ample facilities to host this every other yr. After all, the fued did take place on both sides of the river(it's namesake). a
The thing of it is one, it's hard to get the boys to come out and play when they know it's going to be a joke... The ref's are from WV, and WV goes waaayyyyy out in the state and gets kids to play. KY can't get any kids from Lexington, Louisville, etc. Second, it's always, and I mean always held at Matewan. From what I've been told, this is Coach Kinder's brain pop, therefore, he holds it (hosts it) each and every year. Attendance was down last year from years past that I saw. The only reason I went was to watch a child play that I consider one of my own. If not for him, I wouldn't have went!

I do think this needs to be rotated each year to keep interest in the game. It would bring a nice crowd back, I believe by flip-flopping it. NOT saying that it should just be held at Belfry but heck, find a couple of nice fields in KY and host it one year in Matewan, one year in Belfry. Next year back at Matewan, and then to another field..... IMHO, this is becoming a joke to the kids who are asked to play in it especially the ones from KY. I know there have been a lot of talent playing on both sides but no where near the area to choose from in KY. We have the area, just not allowed to use it! LOL.....
Stardust Wrote:Thanks. Do many kids headed to play college ball even participate in this?

theres been some but not alot
When is this game? I remember when they had decent named athletes from Kentucky participating in the game when Jeremy Caudill played in it.
I think they are some pretty good talent playing in it this year. Can someone post a roster? I know of a few boys they asked from Valley that will really help out.
I heard from another all star game this is going to be the last year for this game.
is Thomas Varney going to play in this game
Ky vs WVa, Hatfield-McCoy or whatever you want to call it, it is still the best all-star game going. I can't wait! I played in it in '63 for Ky! Go Ky! It was called the Kiwanii's Sr. Bowl then!
Does anybody know any of the ky playera & what teams they come from that are rumured to be interested in playing in the game?
Does anybody know any of the Ky players & what teams they come from that are rumured to be interested in playing in the game?
Allen Central has the Crowder twins playing and chris stumbo, the backs from Shelby Valley is all I know right now.
Come on guys you can do better than that, let me me know who some more Ky players might be!
Come on guys tell what you've heard the game date is July 31st!
The Hatfield-McCoy Bowl will NEVER even come close to what the Kiwanis Senior Bowl was back in the day. Each team really did get kids from across the state to come in a play. It was always an awesome game. I remember my brother's Senior year when he played, we housed a couple of players. One was from northern KY and one was from western KY.

The Hatfield-McCoy Bowl is a complete joke!
Yea, I saw that happen several times, I was glad to have them!
When my cousin played in the Kiwanii's after I did his team had 2 players from Paris H.S. I recall!
There having a meeting on Sunday at 6 at Betsy Layne High School. Hopefully I can give you more info tomarrow
I'd try to come out and watch it if it rotated between Belfry...

I hate Matewan.
wv is going to take another one probably
I think Ky will fool evrybody this yr.& pull it off in a close one!
No shot of a KY victory...as long as WV still has the refs in their back pocket it won't even be an issue.
IRISH4 Wrote:No shot of a KY victory...as long as WV still has the refs in their back pocket it won't even be an issue.

Agree 100%. It's a no win situation as long as it's set up the way it is,imo.
Pages: 1 2 3