Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Hazard Memorial Gym
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I know that Hazard has an antiquidated gym and is difficult to get parking for the fans so does anyone think they should be allowed to host the 14th Regional tournament? This place has tons of memories for many people and the seating is decent and a good atmosphere for a game but does that warrant enough to host a huge event with the likes of gyms such as KCC and PCC or even Breathitt? Is verything about the convenience of the fans having suitable parking or should the schools that are in line to host it be granted the right on the rotation plan?
Sir
I for one feel that Samual Colt made man equal, the powers in the regions do not. I would like to see all the schools get an opportuity to host such a tourney however it is difficult to see the major cosmopolitan area travel those great distances just to allow teams to actually have a home court advantage.
I wonder where people shall park when Pauls Palace is open and all of the 15th shall be beckoned to play there. Will that be fair to teams who must travel thru the wilderness.
It's as fair fer them to travel as fer me to take me ma to a game there.
I played at a school that was not givin the opportunity to play a district or regional tournament. I though it was un fair then and still think every school should have the opportunity or have a same neutral site every year as like the 16th region at Morehead State.
When it is Cordia's turn to host, we have to host at KCC gym.....we dont have the huge gym or the parking capacity for such an event.....it is unfair for the hosting school to actually not have the true opportunity to be on its home floor......but what else are we to do??? Have Alice Lloyd be the host gym....nahhhh LOL!!! I agree that I do like Hazard gym BUT the parking is horrible......my son's car got side-swiped there and I havent allowed him to drive to a Hazard game since......too much trouble.
Good question..I can see both sides to it. I say yes, they should! Of course I am OLD SCHOOL!
Plenty of parking in the municipal parking lot at the bottom of the hill and they run the trolleys when they hold the event at Memorial Gym. It is a very short walk up the hill if you dont want to wait on the trolley, but I know everyone wants to park at the door. The parking may be good at some of these other gyms but I dont like a gym where you have to walk on the floor to get to your seat. Mem Gym, KCC and Breathitt are the best gyms in the 14th region. And if you think about it, if you have to part on the main road at Breathitt it is no farther to walk up Gym Hill to Memorial Gym.
KyGurl Wrote:Plenty of parking in the municipal parking lot at the bottom of the hill and they run the trolleys when they hold the event at Memorial Gym. It is a very short walk up the hill if you dont want to wait on the trolley, but I know everyone wants to park at the door. The parking may be good at some of these other gyms but I dont like a gym where you have to walk on the floor to get to your seat. Mem Gym, KCC and Breathitt are the best gyms in the 14th region. And if you think about it, if you have to part on the main road at Breathitt it is no farther to walk up Gym Hill to Memorial Gym.
I agree with KYgurl here.
I think Hazard should have the right to host the regional just like anyone else. There may not be much parking at the gym but parking is provided at the parking lots downtown and transportation to the gym is provided during a tournament. Living in the mountains
Doc Holliday Wrote:Sir
I for one feel that Samual Colt made man equal, the powers in the regions do not. I would like to see all the schools get an opportuity to host such a tourney however it is difficult to see the major cosmopolitan area travel those great distances just to allow teams to actually have a home court advantage.
I wonder where people shall park when Pauls Palace is open and all of the 15th shall be beckoned to play there. Will that be fair to teams who must travel thru the wilderness.
but smith and wesson got rid of alot of the idiots and the 15th was held last year at Pauls Palace and there was ample parking and seating
I think Hazard should have the right to host the regional just like anyone else. There may not be much parking at the gym but parking is provided at the parking lots downtown and transportation to the gym is provided during a tournament. Anyone who lives in the mountains knows that large areas of level land are hard to find. Every place around here has parking problems except the new shopping centers and Wal-marts. I have been to KCC's gym at tournament time and had to park over on the main road and walk, same thing at Breathitt's gym...at tournament time you have to park beside the road or anywhere you can find a place, and anytime you go to a baseball game at KCC's field you have to park at the school and walk or ride the bus up that steep hill. I think people have gotten lazy...no one wants to walk a few steps or have to go out of their way. Every one wants to go somewhere and be able to park right at the front door. I think that as long as a place to park is provided and transportation is provided to the gym that Hazard should be able to host any tournament. Memorial Gym has hosted countless numbers of events over the years...where there's a will there's a way.
Many regional tournaments are now being held at neutral sites. 16th region at MSU, 15th region at the Expo Center, 11th region at EKU, etc... The 14th region does not have this opportunity. I think that you should choose the best site from each district and then rotate sites on a yearly basis. In my opinion, those sites would be Knott Central, Perry Central, Breathitt County, and Powell County. Memorial is a great gym but doesn't compare to Perry Central in seating capacity or parking.
I say FOR SURE!!
I think Memorial Gym has decent parking, not enough, but a decent amount. I think it is enough to suffice in a game by game situation during tournament time, especially with the trolleys running from the parking lot at the bottom of the hill. Memorial Gym also is a great gym to play in with a lot of history and i will say that a lot of teams like playing there. But the point is that there is always plenty of seats, and typically parking is crowded, but not unmanageable so I think Memorial Gym can stay the home of the 14th region tournament....lets stick with tradition...lol
I don't think Hazard should ever be able to host the regional tournament again. From the last one they held in 2005, I personally thought it was a disaster. First of all to hold a regional tournament, your gym must be able to hold 2500 people, and that's something I don't believe Memorial Gym can do. Well in 2005 there was 2500+ and we all know all that. Parking on that hill is difficult and the next closest parking spaces are right off the hill at the health dept. and farther from it at the triangle by McDonald's; there's also to mention an unpleasant walk off the hill, especially without street lights. Another issue with Hazard hosting the regional tournament is/was parking at the old Wal-Mart and riding a cram packed school bus, no one wants to do that. You had to wait and wait for a bus to get there and wait and wait to get back to your car. IF something went wrong at Memorial Gym such as a fire, how are they going to evacuate everyone quickly? It's very crampacked place with very few exits. So I don't think hazard should be able to host another regional tournament until they get a new gym.
the_truth Wrote:I don't think Hazard should ever be able to host the regional tournament again. From the last one they held in 2005, I personally thought it was a disaster. First of all to hold a regional tournament, your gym must be able to hold 2500 people, and that's something I don't believe Memorial Gym can do. Well in 2005 there was 2500+ and we all know all that. Parking on that hill is difficult and the next closest parking spaces are right off the hill at the health dept. and farther from it at the triangle by McDonald's; there's also to mention an unpleasant walk off the hill, especially without street lights. Another issue with Hazard hosting the regional tournament is/was parking at the old Wal-Mart and riding a cram packed school bus, no one wants to do that. You had to wait and wait for a bus to get there and wait and wait to get back to your car. IF something went wrong at Memorial Gym such as a fire, how are they going to evacuate everyone quickly? It's very crampacked place with very few exits. So I don't think hazard should be able to host another regional tournament until they get a new gym.

There's street lights down the hill and Memorial Gym has 6 other exits I know of besides the front doors.
Blue-N-Gold Wrote:There's street lights down the hill and Memorial Gym has 6 other exits I know of besides the front doors.

I agree with Blue_n_Gold, there are street lights down gym hill and plenty of exits!! Not that much of problem of walking down the hill!!! Everyone cant park at the front door!!
KyGurl Wrote:I agree with Blue_n_Gold, there are street lights down gym hill and plenty of exits!! Not that much of problem of walking down the hill!!! Everyone cant park at the front door!!

I agree everyone can't get VIP parking but who wants to park literally a mile or farther from the gym? There's no arguing that, no one.
NOOOOO parking whatsoever & it's too small. Get over the fact that it has great "tradition". Tradition don't help fit all the people in the gym that would like to see the game. Get some money, build a new gym, do something. The gym is terrible to play a regional or even district tournament in. When they play the district tournament there then you know everybodys not gonna get to watch the games because Hazard & Perry will end up playing wach other (other than this year) & there will not be enough room. Swollow your pride & play the big games elsewhere. The End.
Woo Wee Wrote:NOOOOO parking whatsoever & it's too small. Get over the fact that it has great "tradition". Tradition don't help fit all the people in the gym that would like to see the game. Get some money, build a new gym, do something. The gym is terrible to play a regional or even district tournament in. When they play the district tournament there then you know everybodys not gonna get to watch the games because Hazard & Perry will end up playing wach other (other than this year) & there will not be enough room. Swollow your pride & play the big games elsewhere. The End.

Thanks, least someone agrees with what i have to say about Hazard and them hosting a region.
I have been to the gym twice. The first time we drove around the hill 4 times....3 times we stopped and asked the neighbors how to get to it......like i said....4th time around we accidently found it on the hill...then went down the hill and parked. Think about it...you have 4 different schools on one night. I think these educated people should think about the fans they want to come and spend their money on tickets and food. But don't jump me yet...i agree home court means something. But get real, easy access, more parking....more fans = more money. :popcorn: :Cheerlead
Why don't they build a new gym? Memorialize that one all they want to, but give the new generation, who knows nothing about that gym a good place to go watch basketball. If they want to host a game, get a more accomadating place or host it somewhere else.
They could keep the old one, it's not like they have to tear it down or anything, but gees it's a major inconvience when you have to go there for a big game like a tournament or HHS/PCC game.
They gym has been there for years. A lot of games played there. So why do we complain now?
Come on. Yankee Stadium is going to be done with after next season; everything comes to a end. Memorial Gym is not the mecca of basketball.
The history of the gym is what makes it so special... Many great regional tournaments have been held here. Yeah the parking is inconvenient but it has been so for years. Don't mess with a good tourney atmosphere.....
I liked it when ths region games were played at either, Knott, Hazard or Breathitt.