Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: NCAA hands Southern California two-year bowl ban, scholarship loss
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
http://content.usatoday.com/communities/...thursday/1

After weeks of speculation about when the NCAA would hand down its verdict on the University of Southern California over possible violations in both the football and men's basketball programs, it appears that time has finally come.

The NCAA announced that a teleconference is scheduled for Thursday at 3 p.m. ET where its findings will be released.

The Los Angeles Times reports that the school will receive a two-year bowl ban and a significant loss of scholarships, perhaps more than 20. The paper quoted a person with knowledge of the report. It said school officials would not confirm the penalties.

ESPN.com reported Wednesday night that "a forfeiture of wins from at least the 2004 season" as part of the punishment.

According to the Times, when asked if the penalties where appropriate, a person with knowledge of the situation said "It depends how you look at it. It is if you're a UCLA fan."

Another person who had seen the report told the Los Angeles Daily News, "We got killed. There's no way we won't appeal this decision. One year would be hard to take, but two years?"

TIMELINE: Inside look at lengthy investigation at USC

There was no word on whether the men's basketball program would be punished further than the school's self-imposed penalties, which included a postseason ban for the 2009-10 season as well as limits on scholarships, but it appears they won't face further sanctions.

Asked if USC had heard from the NCAA, Athletic Director Mike Garrett said: "We are looking at things right now. That's about all I can say."

USC spokesmen said the university would address the situation when the NCAA makes the report public, which it will Thursday at 3 p.m. ET. The school would be expected to appeal, not uncommon when significant penalties are handed down.

The investigation centers on former Heisman Trophy winner Reggie Bush in football and O.J. Mayo in basketball. The school already has self-imposed some penalties in basketball. The committee could choose to add to those.
I am surprised that the NCAA came down this hard on USC. I expected that they would lose some scholarships, I really did not expect any bowl ban much less a bowl ban of two years.
This shocks Me.
Lane Kiffin said USC was his "dream job." I'm happy that his head coaching career out there will get off to such a great start. He deserves only the best.
Since there taking there wins away in 04, does this make Auburn the 04 national champions?
Aslan Wrote:Since there taking there wins away in 04, does this make Auburn the 04 national champions?

I wonder
If it opts to strip USC, there just won’t be a champion listed for 2004.
how are schools expected to keep players from accepting gifts from over zealous fans/alumni and sleazy agents? I do not think there is anyway schools can oversee everything that goes on, yet they will always take the fall.
This keeps lane from being embarrassed, This was going to be the first time in a long time USC didnt make a major bowl.
csabo17 Wrote:This keeps lane from being embarrassed, This was going to be the first time in a long time USC didnt make a major bowl.

You mean ever since last year? Also, this team coming in was going to be worse than last years team anyhow. The loss of scholarships was going to kill this program, not the coaches.
So, correct me if I am wrong.. But they will be stripped of the championship/banner too correct? And if that is the case, does the runner up get it?
Aslan Wrote:Since there taking there wins away in 04, does this make Auburn the 04 national champions?

^Looks like this question was already asked.. my bad lol.
Ballers Wrote:So, correct me if I am wrong.. But they will be stripped of the championship/banner too correct? And if that is the case, does the runner up get it?

They have to give up the titles, but they're not forfeiting the games, so the other teams won't win those titles.