Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Better players in the 13th
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Who will be some of the better players in the 13th Region next season?
Knox return one of the best post players around in Shakira Gregory. Corbin lost their best player, but returns everything they had around her. Not really sure on what other teams lost and got coming back.
Yes The gregory girl is a good under the basket player but way to foul prone.
Her numbers were simply not there this year and not up to expectations from a solid freshman season. For the Past two seasons in Their district only one player on down the road at pineville has dominated that district. IMO her and Clay Countys big are Perhaps two of the better we have seen in the 13th in quite sometime and their stats will certainally back that up. The clay county big jackson is working out hard and should be even more so of a beast in the paint next season and Many of the Clay county players are multi talented. The 51st player in mention Won the 13th district single in tennis this week and with tennis offers pouring in basketball will not be her top priority. I think North laurels sharpshooter Kelsey s.will make a statement in the 13th as well. and I like The hamblin girl from harlan as well she can and will light it up. Gilliam from down the road in harlan county must shoot more and much better from the outside to have a full repitire & Davenport if she returns to form could make some noise in region. lest not forget Overbay from Middlesboro should do well her being one of the older and more seasoned players in the 13th. Please if anyone else can add their favorite players they think are difference makers in the 13th let us all know. simply food for thought.
Yea i Completley forgot about the smith girl from Pineville. I feel she is hands down best player in the region. She just doesnt have the supporting cast some of the others do.
Yes..I seen her play on the same team with with the Clay Countys girls for the 13th..Whitney belle scored about 30 and so did she to win for the 13th and they clearly played GREAT together.. shes fast and a sharpshooter...Im Glad shes a tennis phenom now i saw it on a broadcast and basketball is the best in my book but nobodys going to miss guarding her as she leans towards tennis thats for certain. Reporters quoted the skys the limit if and when she has a tennis coach and that she never had lessons and self taught herself watching U.S.Open tennis on T.V. and she really put away some really awesome players to win the tennis crown last week.
Jackson is the No. 1 player in the region.
Smith is a nice player who scores a lot of points because she takes half the shots for the team.
The Smith girl from Pineville does shoot alot but she is very good in all parts of her game she will be one that can take a game over this year, the Mullins girl from Harlan Ind. is going to be very good this year and the one to keep an eye on is the Morris girl at Bell she had some very bright spots this year as an 8th grader
Harlan exposed the one weakness in the Smiths girl game. They were very physical with her in the All-A regional semis. It took a big toll on her and they were able to contain her and win the game. She needs work on D as she has trouble playing man-to-man and this is what awaits her at the next level if she pursues that course.

The girl from Bell was a kid that teams didnt account for and she suprised some teams, however, this year when teams recognize she can be a threat and pay more attention to her, we will see how she does. Same thing happened to the Gregory girl. Her Fr. year, most people focused to stop brittany jordan and gregory prospered from this. This year, people focused on gregory and she struggled to match her numbers as a Fr.
The hamblin girl from harlan is a good shooter as is kelsey smith from north larual and pineville-harlan I saw the game and the firsty one played weeks before she was not stopped at all By harlan. You cannot scare Chelsey smith with physicallity She played football and started for bell county in middle school and i was informed could take and deliver a hit. And as far as man to man defense? Her and paige slone are the best i ever saw.ask her coach or the union College or blue chip coach as to her Defense. she gets tons of steals and layups man2man-clay county has several great players that would no doubt be marquee players on any other team in the 13th. I saw them and some of the the pineville players in the addidas game play superb ball. Harlan county i think will be really good this year. and whitley county are small but super super speedy and I think they might surpise some people.
Whitney belle Jackson is first in shooting percentage Chelsea smith is also one of the best in shooting percentage. What this means they May Shoot The rock But They Go In Most Of The Time, Which Is In My Humble Opinion Although not An Expert In The Field :eyeroll: That Is A Good Thing Me thinks!!
Whitley is fast fast fast.....but don't forget about the incoming freshman who played varsity last year in the post (Kandace Craig). Word has it....she is now 6'1" and still growing and has played well this summer. Whitley will be a good team this year.
Why has no one mentioned Makayla Neal and Maci Morris from Bell Co. Neal is cat quick and can get to the basket on anyone, she also shoots and passes the ball very well. Morris is just an 8th grader but led Bell in scoring in the post season last year.
wildcats fan Wrote:Why has no one mentioned Makayla Neal and Maci Morris from Bell Co. Neal is cat quick and can get to the basket on anyone, she also shoots and passes the ball very well. Morris is just an 8th grader but led Bell in scoring in the post season last year.

I didnt mention her b/c ive never heard the name before. Idk about anyone else.
The Neal Girl is fundamentally a good ball player But not any better or IMO opinion as good as many less spoken of or underrated role players on Clay and Harlan County. She will more than likely have to improve to go to the next level. Now The Morris Kid we shall have to wait and see she does have the size but will not even be the lead scorer of her own team or even considered as a marqee player at this time. Sorry but That has to be earned..not given. Bell has padded there schedule somewhat and also traditional good teams may be down~Corbin~M'boro~ Bell should get enough wins to be considered respectable But will go back to being an also ran when its all said and done and with after last seasons surprising run they will not sneak up on anybody 2010-11 season and that sadly will result in more losses.
I believe the 13th will be a little more balanced than people think this year. Clay, Harlan Co. will clearly be ahead of the rest of the region. You could argue that 3-10 are all about the same talent level. Don't be suprised to see some mild upsets this year as some of the middle to low level teams now have more experienced players and will make some noise throughout the region. I see several teams being well balanced with no true superstar to speak of, these teams are most dangerous to be totally honest.
Bell returns 3 starters from last years 20 win team and the Morris kid played more minutes than the kid that started in front of her. They along with Harlan Co. should be the favorites in that district and it should be a competitive district. Morris averaged double figures in post season play last year and in fact led Bell in scoring in the post season.Makayla Neal is an excellent all around player that would start on any team in the region as would Morris.
Not so fast..Confusedhh:
On the considered best teams AKA Clay county none of the Bell Players would be in that starting lineup & Morris being of decent size may see action for 13th teams but even one of the smaller teams Harlans mullins would not sit for her either I consider point guard whitney Howard on Bell maybe not potentially better than her teammates but more so dependable being one of the older players in the 13th along with Middlesboros carrisa overbay are tried & true.
Bell will be pretty good And they are well coached Got some good young talent
But they are not near ready to compete for a Region Championship
Hmm. I guess when it comes to the girls’ basketball Makayla Neal is a name which comes to my mind. She can give tough time to any competitor and show her maximum strength
People the proof is in the pudding. if a players shooting stats and talent levels are not there You cannot make it so by wearing a subject out.
Bell starting a 6th grader may not be the testament to her great talent but the team as a whole lackthereof having to start a 5th grader, Makayla Neal is an AVERAGE player and not as great as the bell fans on here proclaim. Simply Show up on the court and show Clay County and Harlan county and north laurel however GREAT you proclaim you are because You are not going to scare anybody in the 13th with blowing your own horn. Coach teague never approved of ear tickling or bragging and more than likely would frown on such behavior.
The best two girls players in the region are Jackson at Clay and Tamara Crawford at North. North absolutely shut Smith down last year at the regional tournament. Smith is a gifted athlete, but she's not that good of a ball player. She dominates the teams that Pineville plays just because she is faster and more athletic than them. Whoever said this is the best group of 13th region players in awhile, are you crazy? Gilbert, Smith, and Messer? Gilbert was an all-american at Georgetown. Smith broke every record possible at Union and Messer started at Campbellsville since she was a freshman.
Hit and Run Wrote:The best two girls players in the region are Jackson at Clay and Tamara Crawford at North. North absolutely shut Smith down last year at the regional tournament. Smith is a gifted athlete, but she's not that good of a ball player. She dominates the teams that Pineville plays just because she is faster and more athletic than them. Whoever said this is the best group of 13th region players in awhile, are you crazy? Gilbert, Smith, and Messer? Gilbert was an all-american at Georgetown. Smith broke every record possible at Union and Messer started at Campbellsville since she was a freshman.

She is at Union now.
http://jodydemling.courier-journal.com/2...ember.html
Check out the above recent link about The smith Kid.
She is an athelete no doubt thats for certain but keeping on top at tennis and track has defintley been Hard on her game.
She has been focusing more so lately & it is showing on the court.
This year through High profile camps Playing with and against Very good Players Shes is getting offers & recognition(above)as does our 13th which is a good.
She also recieved an Honorable Mention at the State level along with Jackson as voted By the coaches & an MVP award at blue chip this year.
at 5-8 now~she's not as big as her idol Brooke Smith which resides a mile apart from her and she did get some practice time in with her other childhood idol wendi messer last summer im told at pineville & learned some so that should help her as well~ Best of luck chelsea.. Let me say Im not the only one in my area that LOVES your tennis game and seeing you burn up the track.
Hit and Run Wrote:The best two girls players in the region are Jackson at Clay and Tamara Crawford at North. North absolutely shut Smith down last year at the regional tournament. Smith is a gifted athlete, but she's not that good of a ball player. She dominates the teams that Pineville plays just because she is faster and more athletic than them. Whoever said this is the best group of 13th region players in awhile, are you crazy? Gilbert, Smith, and Messer? Gilbert was an all-american at Georgetown. Smith broke every record possible at Union and Messer started at Campbellsville since she was a freshman.
Smith is not that good of ball player. lol
hahaha Hit and run... You need to talk to transy's coach and berea's coach.
anybody can have a bad game even The news said the whole team had food poisoning before that game it was a much much better game between the 2 teams earlier in the season.... She outplayed some of the states best over the summer i have video of the camp and Furthermore Players will not get so much attention if they cant play ball. better yet get on the court with her. lol
the 13th has its fair share in the
tops in state as posted by college recruiters.

Class of 2011
1. Sara Hammond, Rockcastle County, 6-2 -
7. Whitney Jackson, Clay County, 6-1
13. Carla Booth, Sheldon Clark, 5-7
17. Danay Fothergill, Pulaski Southwestern, 5-8
23. Chelsey Smith, Pineville, 5-7

Class of 2012
7. Kendall Noble, Perry County Central, 5-10
11. Miranda Davenport, Harlan County, 5-6
14. Ashley Mullins, Harlan, 6-1
Quote:She also recieved an Honorable Mention at the State level along with Jackson as voted By the coaches & an MVP award at blue chip this year.

It should be noted she won an MVP being nominated by her former coach at that camp who coached her team. She is a good player, but time will tell if she is at the same talent level as Fothergill, Jackson, Hammond and others who are truly high caliber players.
i agree with "hit and run"... clay countys jackson and north laurels crawford
I have not heard 1 word in any of the post about anyone from South Laurel. They are in the mix every yr.So why dont anyone give them any credit?
They will not be very deep but I think they will be in the mix this yr as well.
ladycats23 Wrote:Smith is not that good of ball player. lol
hahaha Hit and run... You need to talk to transy's coach and berea's coach.
anybody can have a bad game even The news said the whole team had food poisoning before that game it was a much much better game between the 2 teams earlier in the season.... She outplayed some of the states best over the summer i have video of the camp and Furthermore Players will not get so much attention if they cant play ball. better yet get on the court with her. lol
Ask Berea and Transy why they want her. Not because of her basketball talents. They want her because of her athleticisim and potential. She is athletic enough that she could potentially be a great player at that level, but right now she just isn't there. She's a good high school player, but how good would she be if she played Clay's schedule? Would she start over Mitchell or Smith at Clay? I'm not saying she wouldn't, but I'm not real sure that she would.
the dark wizard Wrote:She is at Union now.
I actually heard about this the same day that I posted this. Curry is bringing in the talent at Union.
Pages: 1 2