Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Thoughts: Tracks around Fields
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I was reading some of the posts on the nicest fields, and I got to wondering what everyone else thought about tracks around football fields. Personally, I've always loved bleachers that were right on top off the field instead of being way back. I really hope the new Harlan County stadium has no track around it and the bleachers are close so the fans can create an intense atmosphere. What is everyone else's thoughts on this?
dontfeedthebears Wrote:I was reading some of the posts on the nicest fields, and I got to wondering what everyone else thought about tracks around football fields. Personally, I've always loved bleachers that were right on top off the field instead of being way back. I really hope the new Harlan County stadium has no track around it and the bleachers are close so the fans can create an intense atmosphere. What is everyone else's thoughts on this?

I do agree that the intimacy of the game is taken away with the track around the field. But with today's economy, I don't think many schools can justify Football stadiums to not be multi-purpose. It's one of the biggest sellers around New stadiums, especially artificial turf fields. The need to get as much use of these major investments is significant. To only build a football stadium just with the fan in mind for 6-8 dates per year is not a good economical investment. It has to be justified by being able to get as much use as possible in order to get as much "Pay Back" on that investment as possible.
For many smaller schools it is the only financial option, but personally I agree that in order for a stadium to be ocnsidered first rate there has to be no track, no soccer lines drawn all over the field, and no dead spots where the pitcher mound is during spring.
Estill needs a new track
Letcher Central's field should have had the track built around it. They now have to build a track field up on a hill, and right now the track team is the only team right now without a field to run on. Seniors can't be recognized on a senior night type platform. I am all for the track around the field.
a possible option is to have the track go around the field and have permanent bleachers out side of the track be raised to a height that you could bring in portable/temporary bleachers that set on the track for football season, then is removed after the season for track meets.
dontfeedthebears Wrote:I was reading some of the posts on the nicest fields, and I got to wondering what everyone else thought about tracks around football fields. Personally, I've always loved bleachers that were right on top off the field instead of being way back. I really hope the new Harlan County stadium has no track around it and the bleachers are close so the fans can create an intense atmosphere. What is everyone else's thoughts on this?
I'm like you, I prefer the bleachers right against the field, but I think that the plans for the Black Bear's new field are to have a track around it. I don't know where else they would put a track at. At this point, I wouldn't care if they had a moat, I'll be glad to just have a field! I know one thing, it's going to be loud with the sounds of a football game echoing off of those two mountains!
Mama Bear what is the word on the fields at your school. Are they going to just use the old ones for a while or are they going to build a new football, baseball, softball, and track field? Are you guys going to field a wrestling team any time soon, and if you do let me know how you guys are going to share a guy.
cougarpride08 Wrote:Mama Bear what is the word on the fields at your school. Are they going to just use the old ones for a while or are they going to build a new football, baseball, softball, and track field? Are you guys going to field a wrestling team any time soon, and if you do let me know how you guys are going to share a guy.

I understand that the baseball and softball fields should be under construction in the next couple of weeks if not sooner. I don't know about a wrestling team. What guy are we going to have to share?
Well I had heard a rumor that they was selling the old whitesburg high school, and the gym where the guys wrestle started to not be a part of the deal. Well they was having a hard time selling it with the gym not being part of it. Now I hear they will be adding the gym to the deal, and if they do, there will be no place for the team to practice and have meets, so I was wondering how does the rest of the eastern high school teams share gyms with other sports? Sorry to get off topic, but I do hope you guys have a better experience than we have with other sports getting alone with each other. Now back to topic, I feel that money is the question. If you don't have that much money, then it is logical for a school to build a track around a football field.
In today's world of declining civility and gentlemanly restraint, I think a track is also a buffer of sorts. I have seen fans charge on the field, taunt players as they entered or exited, threaten refs, push players, and otherwise act like dolts. Keeping them 20-30 feet further away creates a natural demilitarized zone. So I am for it.
I can totally understand the economic side of it. You made some really good points Stardust. But I'm also going to have to disagree with the buffer comment. I'm not saying taunting, using explicit language, or making physical contact with the players is acceptable at all. I do, however, think there needs to be somewhat of a home-field advantage when you play at home. I love hearing the roar of the crowd 15 feet away instead of 50. Some bleachers seem so far away that it's almost like playing at a neutral site. I guess I'm just a little old school when it comes to simple things like having a track around a field or not. I agree that the track and field squads deserve just as much any of the other teams, also.
johnnyt Wrote:a possible option is to have the track go around the field and have permanent bleachers out side of the track be raised to a height that you could bring in portable/temporary bleachers that set on the track for football season, then is removed after the season for track meets.

This would not work on the new rubberized track surfaces that are used. It would wear holes in the track surface very quick.
When I played, We had a track around the practice field, but not the game field
There are financial limitations with the cost of new facilities nowadays but besides that there is also space limitations especially in the mountains i have been to many high school fields in several states and cant really recall on that does not have a track around it. What would you do with the space inside if their wasnt a field? just wondering
As a fan I do not like it. Like to be close to action.